The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Alarmed By Noel Qualter (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Ade & Steve,
Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated. Right now here in the US, "Alarmed" is only available for pre-order. It looks like come July I may have to take the plunge on this one. anyone else with real world performance experience, please chime in as well.

Thanks,
Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JCheng
Quote:
On 2011-06-09 18:57, Astrocity wrote:
Ade & Steve,
Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated. Right now here in the US, "Alarmed" is only available for pre-order. It looks like come July I may have to take the plunge on this one. anyone else with real world performance experience, please chime in as well.

Thanks,
Hank

It's actually already available.
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
Penguin carries it and I ordered it, but they just called me yesterday to say they won't have it in until July 12th.
westo
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
463 Posts

Profile of westo
I used this last night after a lot of thinking about how to gain the maximum emotional kick.
I decided to use it with 'The Fifth Card' (Brian Caswell) routine.
I started with: " Imagine your in the Future and have entered a strange room, in the middle of the room is a table, you walk over to the table where you see.........."
I use the credit card wallet I have (link on previous page) I do the required writing, rip off the piece of paper where I have crudely drawn the clock with their time and day, and put the wallet back in my inside pocket where I let the 'photo' slip out of the wallet, at the same time I remove the deck of cards from the same pocket holding the 'Prediction Picture' behind the deck. As I'm removing the deck from the box I slide the card onto the face of the deck (looks like it was in the box) Then place it aside face down on the table and patter on " Also on the table are six face up cards......"
At this point I carry on with the 'Fifth Card' effect.
I do the fifth card reveal, then I turn over the Photo.
The reaction was stunned silence, then a few expletives!!
I might continue to use 'The Fifth Card' with this until I think of something better.
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek' and 'The Westo Dump'
PaulW
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of PaulW
I have just received the effect and I have to say that I agree with the GreatRaymondo, although the gaffs are of excellent quality I was disappointed to discover that the promotional video only shows the reveal.

As others have commented the lead up to the reveal is fiddly and laborious and will not suit many and whist I accept that showing the full routine might have given too much away the video should have indicated, at the very least, that we were not being shown the full routine.

I bought Alarmed based on that video and I feel I have been misled.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1991 Posts

Profile of puggo
I have only used this (for real people) a couple of times, but will share a few thoughts.

-You do not need great skill to do this
-It is a bit fiddly
-I would not do this when strolling, if I am surrounded - tables are fine
-How you routine it is the key (to me)

So far, I have used a duel prediction presentation (past and future). I have a pre-drawn clock drawn on a small 2x4" pad with the gimmick, I ask for the time etc while doing the work (pretending to draw a picture), I then write down a prediction (for Se7en). Tear off notepaper, give to specs (folded up). Dump pad (Gimmick to wallet) and then start to go into the patter for Bryn Reynolds excellent effect, Se7en (quick ish, fun interactive). I ask them to open the revelation on the paper I gave them.

This (Se7en) gets a strong reaction. I tell them that this was the future reaction, but the picture I drew relates to a past prediction... go to wallet, reveal... Incredible reactions. Not David Blaine screaming OMGs, but stunned silence..

In short, this has the potential to be a killer effect and I will definitely look to use this when working (except strolling surrounded!). I hope to further refine / change / develop the presentation I use, as I am still not 100% happy with it. Currently, I have been practicing using the gimmick vertically rather than 'book fashion'.

I don't really like the idea of writing on the gimmick paper, as I think it points to the method.
I probably would not have picked this up had I have seen the full performances, due to percieved problems, but I'm glad I did now.

Charlie
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Profile of monstercreations
Hi Paul,
Maybe because I had practice but I can do the necessary businness in well under 10 seconds, I have an alarm clock
pre-drawn on the "extra" paper and this is what I hand to the spectator whilst loading the photo into my wallet.
Hard to say too much without giving away the gaff method.
Ade
whall212
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of whall212
Hi,
Do you need a special wallet to help with this? A few posts mention a wallet. Does that help you end cleaner? Thanks! Bill
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1991 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2011-06-10 06:53, whall212 wrote:
Hi,
Do you need a special wallet to help with this? A few posts mention a wallet. Does that help you end cleaner? Thanks! Bill

Wallet not required. You could also easily use a normal wallet, or no wallet at all. Within certain limitations, the presentation options are extremely versatile
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
A few very interesting insights and different reactions to Alarmed. It is interesting that a number of people are mentioning the Alakazam promotional video and the 'judicious editing' which once again does not give a fair or true reflection / representation of the routine / effect. Of course this will be defended by the age old excuse of 'exposure' - which is utter rubbish as nobody expects a full or detailed explanation of how the effect works but you do (or should)expect to see the full routine being performed and if this really would 'expose' the method then just how good is the trick in the first place and how far would you get with it in the real world? This type of 'hard sell' really does bug me! The magic vendors / sellers have to start taking responsibility for what is verging on conning people out of their money. Harsh words maybe - but nevertheless true ones. Maybe people should start sending the tricks back and demand their money back - maybe, just maybe then they would think twice. As I have mentioned in previous posts hard experience has made very, very wary of seriously hyped tricks / effects particularly when they are on 'pre-order'. I now prefer to wait around 2 weeks and get the feedback of real users and performers. Not the hype from the vendors and dealers looking for another quick profit.I also know that some people will work hard to justify the purchase of such tricks to themselves and others as they have laid out their hard worked for cash on the table - this is understandable too. I think a lot of us have been in similar situations previously. To briefly summarise: based on the feedback and information so far Alarmed is not for me. A saving of £35.00 as I really was on the verge of hitting 'order' button. Gentlemen, thank you for taking the time to respond and for the genuine feedback. It is appreciated.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10627 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-06-10 14:33, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
A few very interesting insights and different reactions to Alarmed. It is interesting that a number of people are mentioning the Alakazam promotional video and the 'judicious editing' which once again does not give a fair or true reflection / representation of the routine / effect. Of course this will be defended by the age old excuse of 'exposure' - which is utter rubbish as nobody expects a full or detailed explanation of how the effect works but you do (or should)expect to see the full routine being performed and if this really would 'expose' the method then just how good is the trick in the first place and how far would you get with it in the real world? This type of 'hard sell' really does bug me! The magic vendors / sellers have to start taking responsibility for what is verging on conning people out of their money. Harsh words maybe - but nevertheless true ones. Maybe people should start sending the tricks back and demand their money back - maybe, just maybe then they would think twice. As I have mentioned in previous posts hard experience has made very, very wary of seriously hyped tricks / effects particularly when they are on 'pre-order'. I now prefer to wait around 2 weeks and get the feedback of real users and performers. Not the hype from the vendors and dealers looking for another quick profit.I also know that some people will work hard to justify the purchase of such tricks to themselves and others as they have laid out their hard worked for cash on the table - this is understandable too. I think a lot of us have been in similar situations previously. To briefly summarise: based on the feedback and information so far Alarmed is not for me. A saving of £35.00 as I really was on the verge of hitting 'order' button. Gentlemen, thank you for taking the time to respond and for the genuine feedback. It is appreciated.

The reviews thus far have been overwhelmingly positive. That being said if what you hear doesn't attract you then save your quid and that is a good thing.

Your comments about "hype" are generally true, but Nardi and Alakazam (to me) deliver the goods 95% of the time. So your slight rant - which is legit - seems a little like piling on as so far those who have gotten Alarmed seem to dig it.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
tommid
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of tommid
Why does alacazam persist witht this "pre order" nonsense? well I can see why they do it from a business point of view but I don't like it
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Mine came a couple of days ago. I'm very happy as I can see a huge amount of potentiol with this.
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Glad to read the many reviews on here about "Alarmed." Especially glad to read that the demo video was not showing the entire routine and, instead, was only showing the reveal at the end which has caused many purchasers to feel that they've been mis-led due to all the supposed "fiddling" that is required to accomplish the effect. Based on all of that, I think I'll pass on buying "Alarmed."
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
This is great
Please don't be out off my the above comments moaning about it being fiddly, not as good as the edited demo etc....
Yes there is a small amount of "work" to be done but this can easily be covered by combining the effect with another trick
This is mentioned and explained on the DVD
You don't need a special wallet for it, or any other special props
You could simply combine it with a card revelation to give you the time to do whats required
I'm sure the workers out there will use this and immediately see the huge potential it has
Thanks for sharing it with us Noel!
Matt
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
For those of you saying that there is too much "fiddling" or that the demo video does not tell the whole story, I am amazed!

If you draw attention to the fact you are "doing something" and request (either verbally or with your attitude) that everyone pays attention while you do this, then you are crazy! It is not hard for a worker to make the procedure part of this invisible immediately by asking a question, stimulating a bit of conversation or just downplaying what he is doing as not being part of the trick ie. take everyone's attention away from it. You then bring attention back to you for the reveal.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I don't hear anyone moaning about it being fiddly. What I hear is people giving their honest impressions on whats involved to acomplish the end result. It is fiddly. Extremely so with a sharpie and there's no getting away from that.
My main issue with the effect though is that it falls flat. Just watch the reactions on the DVD during the live performances. There is zero amazement at the reveal. There's just no emotional hook with a photo of an alarm clock. Nice idea but it's just not a strong effect. Compare that with Predicta that has a strong emotional hook to it and a fantastic reveal as they scratch off the lottery numbers one by one.

Alakazam is my absolute favourite shop and Peter Nardi has a real eye for what works. This is by no means a bad effect. It's just very fiddly and lacks the wow factor.

all the best
Sean
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17048 Posts

Profile of joseph
? No wow reaction? ..IMO, if someone gave me a photo showing a random
time I just named, I would run and light a candle.. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
Sean - I notice that you bought Alarmed, didn't try it and then sold it straight away. I don't think the performances on the DVD are to be used as a benchmark. Don't forget, this is a subdued British audience rather than the pumped-up upbeat audiences we expect to see in footage from US magic dealers. Often these DVDs are filmed and edited quickly because the shop wants to get the product out. If they had another day filming and went to some different places I imagine they would have got some of those screaming, crazy reactions that have become so cliched on magic DVDs now.

Just think of the EFFECT on the audience - name any time and you have a photo of that time. How would Derren Brown do this? How would Blaine do it? This trick is all about the lasting impact. You say it has no emotional hook but attach one... what time was your first child born? What time of day did you husband propose to you? etc.
Magicians need to see the bigger picture sometimes.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1991 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2011-06-11 07:41, Aaron Lucas wrote:
.... I don't think the performances on the DVD are to be used as a benchmark. Don't forget, this is a subdued British audience rather than the pumped-up upbeat audiences we expect to see in footage from US magic dealers. Often these DVDs are filmed and edited quickly because the shop wants to get the product out. If they had another day filming and went to some different places I imagine they would have got some of those screaming, crazy reactions that have become so cliched on magic DVDs now....

I agree with the essence of what you are saying, but do agree that the performance footage was not great. When Noel performed (btw, I do think Noel is a very good performer), I was not thrilled with the routine and the reaction was... well, poor, to say the least.

I do agree with your point that this has massive potential for a strong hook / presentation. The couple of times I have tried it, it has gained a very strong reaction (although I am still not happy with my routining yet)

Fiddly-ness - This is fiddly. Just look at Noel's explanation performance. It seemed that Richard was trying hard not to laugh while Noel struggled with the dirty bit. However, as many others have alluded to, this is a case of routining, motivation and perfoming in the right conditions

The demo is, imho, misleading, but not 'criminal'

I am still really looking forward to working on this

Charlie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Alarmed By Noel Qualter (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL