The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Alarmed By Noel Qualter (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
711 Posts

Profile of carlwag
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 22:19, Noel wrote:
North American orders will have an AM/PM marker so can be used either 24hr or 12 hour.

There you go Noel thinks of everything
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
752 Posts

Profile of roblane
Got this yesterday and I must say it does exactly 'what it says on the tin'. If you like the premise but are on the fence, I can honestly say jump off and get this! The gimmick is superbly made and a breeze to use. There's plenty of option for tailoring the routine to suit you, something I've come to realise is vital. (took long enough!) Easy to perform with minimal practice and you can give yourself plenty of time to do the dirty work so there's no chance of error (with care). I will definately be using this, highly recommended! Thanks Noel.
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1316 Posts

Profile of rowland
Can anyone say if this works on the same principle as predicta an effect I have used for years although I think I prefer the idea of the clock. If this is giving away too much on an open forum please pm. Thanks
Supersmooth_ Magic
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Supersmooth_ Magic
I purchased this today and look forward to receiving Alarmed' TOMORROW
Supersmooth_ Magic
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

I have received ALARMED, DVD and 50 custom made photo gimmicks, but for some reason without the PDF sheets to practice with sharpie!??

Has anyone else had this proplem??
Supersmooth_ Magic
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

I have had a fiddle with this and it looks like a great purchase. A little fiddly but well worth it in the end...lot's of other routines on it too.

The PDF's are found on the DVD....right click on DVD RW drive D and OPEN and it can be found!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I guess I'm the only one disappointed with this. Could have been made so much easier to use. Also the effect seems to fall a bit flat. On the DVD the reactions from specs are very subdued and surely they filmed a few and used the best ones. It definitely doesn't seem to have the emotional hook of Predicta.

Sean
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2221 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Guy's we only have 10 left in stock but have more due in next week.

Best Regards

Peter
westo
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
463 Posts

Profile of westo
May I suggest one of these credit card money clip wallets, I have one and it's pretty perfect for 'Alarmed'
Just use the clip to hold the gimmick in place!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Faux-Slim-Leather-Wa......cbdea807
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek' and 'The Westo Dump'
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JCheng
I'm still thinking if I should buy this. But I still have some questions:
Is it recommended for hobbyist?
If the spectator keeps the card and take a look closely, would he/she figure out the secret?

Thanks
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
The reviews so far are of purchasers who have 'played' with the trick / effect immediately after they have received it
(you really can't beat 'that' feeling when a new trick arrives in the post can you?!!).

However, any reviews or insights from anyone who has actually worked with it and used 'in the street' yet? As we all know
what works with ease in your magic den at home does not always work so easily when performing with it live to real spectators!

I am close to purchasing this so would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has used the effect in anger! ;-)
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
Hi the great Raymondo I have it and I have done it 20 times now, I am going to need the refill pack soon LOL. I did it at my residency and showed a few friends. It KILLS. I put a sticker on the back of the card with my contact details and it creates an amazing lasting memento that they show around.
This trick will be in the act of a lot of workers soon that's for sure.

Buy from Noel http://www.tricktrickboom.com as he pays the p&p cost Smile
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
I have to stop reading this stuff. Now I'm interested in this.... Anyone have one they are not using?????? lol...
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Hi Funnymagic,
Thanks for the info - much appreciated.
The concerns I have are:
The promotional video only shows the reveal and only the reveal - absolutely nothing else. Why not? It does not show the full routine
being performed. Maybe so they don't have to be so misleading in the editing? I am not making any accusations here
just trying to work things thru.

Whilst I have a lot of time for Alakazam and purchase from them on a regular basis Peter and his chums do have a habit
of seriously ramping up the hype! Particularly on expensively priced pre-orders. (The Hawk 2.0 being a classic example)
and £35.00 for the effect is not exactly cheap relative to most other tricks.

The refills at £0.60p each means that a performer can burn some serious cash over time. A classic marketing 'Razor and razor blade' scenario
(where all of the big money is made on repeat purchases of the blades over time).

I genuinely do not wish to come across as negative or super sceptical - however, I like a lot of other people in the magic commumity
have become extremely disillusioned in recent times with expensive, over hyped effects that simply do not live up to the billing. With
promo videos that are judiciously edited in the extreme. With effects that make claims verging on real magic only to discover (again and again)after purchase that the reality is way out of line relative to advertising and promotional materials provided.

This is why I ask is their anyone who has worked with this effect and used it in a real, live performance in front of real people, real spectators who are burning you - who can give us some genuine and honest feedback and input? As always, 'the proof is in the pudding' (as we Brits say!)
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
My problem with this trick is I just can't see where I would use it. I had originally thought as a special trick at the head table at a wedding but then I bought it and realised no way.
The end result is very effective, a real fooler, but the laborious process in getting there is what kills it for me.
If you can work your way around this, and from some of the posts a lot of you can, then great, but I find the whole process detaches me from the audience, rather than bonding.
On a practical point I found it hard, in dull lighting, to be accurate with the ........., wearing glasses would help but that's vanity for ya!
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
GreatRaymondo,
Well put and well asked. I'm also VERY interested in this effect. I currently perform "Cataclysm" in my strolling set. It is a fantastic effect and it ALWAYS absolutely slays the audience. I took my own photos to perform the effect and it's a picture of the cards sitting on my desk right next to a flyer with all of my business info on it. I often give the spectator the picture and then just reload so to speak. When I saw "Alarmed" I was immediately drawn to it for much the same reasons as I was drawn to "Cataclysm". Having a photograph that captures a choice or choices of a spectator right there in the moment is a VERY powerful thing and presented correctly will leave an indelible effect on pretty much everyone you perform it for. I speak from the experience of having performed "Cataclysm" for literally hundreds of people.

I like "Alarmed" for several reasons, first it eliminates the cards and doing things outside of cards is always good to make up a healthy mix in your strolling set. Second, it is more personal and intimate to the spectator, having them picture waking up to the alarm and rolling over to look at their alarm clock. I think it can make a super strong connection to the spectator and when you can do that, the real magic has occurred. Lastly, it would take up less pocket space than "Cataclysm" and as I said before, eliminate the extra deck in my pockets. I would not stop performing "Cataclysm", it's too great of an effect and with the routine I created for it, it gets fantastic reactions, but I think having "Alarmed" for when I'm strolling for 3-4 hours or just to mix it up between the two would be great.

Here's where my hesitation comes in. As The GreatRaymondo so perfectly put it, just how "clean" is the photo for real? Without getting too deep into methodology and since I have not yet seen "Alarmed", let me just put it this way: In order to be able to have a single photograph that can accurately predict ANY choice of a day and time, you either have to A) Add the correct info to the photo, B) All the info is there and you have to uncover the correct info, or C) All the info is there and you cover up the incorrect info. To me, with any of those choices, it would be difficult to end up with a "very clean" photo that I could hand out to the spectator as a souvenir. I know that for me at least, without giving that photo to the spectator as a souvenir, with my contact info on the back (OF COURSE!!!), then it's not worth performing the effect. That moment literally captured in time that they take away with them is what this one is all about in my opinion. Again, I will stress that I DO NOT have this effect, but I struggle to find any alternatives to the three ways I just mentioned to have a single photo be able to predict any desired day and time. So I would also ask that anyone who has purchased "Alarmed" and performed it for "real people" in a professional gig environment please let us know just how "clean" the photo ends up being at the end and do they honestly feel totally comfortable giving it to the spectator as a souvenir. I know that with "Cataclysm", the first thing almost everyone I perform it for does is rub the photo, scratch at it and put it up to the light to see what they can find. In the case of "Cataclysm" the photo is just a plain photo, so giving it away is not an issue. If the same can be said for "Alarmed", where the photo is just a plain photo, or APPEARS to be, then count me in!

Thanks,
Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
rocknrollerj
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of rocknrollerj
Soon as I got the trick... I had to waste one to see how the effect looked... holy crap. After a few minutes of just staring at the photo after you've marked it up and covered it with its laminate... I realized that Noel would be a living legend.

There are so many incredible ideas for patter and ways to present this... easily my new favorite trick! Congrats Noel!
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Profile of monstercreations
Hi,
I was selling the original version of this at Blackpool 2011. I must have demed it to magicians simply dozens of times over the 4 days... and I can't recall anyone noticing the "funny business" on the photo. The photo is gaffed but I was comfortable handing the photo to magicians to examine. A few and it would be less than 10 magicians, did know the principal of the effect. Is it a worker? I wouldn't know as I'm not a professional magician but I do know in the right hands (and I'm not claiming to have these hands!)that it is
a great piece of magic to carry in your wallet.
Ade
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I was one of those that bought this at Blackpool
I was so impressed I went back the second day and bought a second set

Yesterday I did a deal to buy the new version from someone who wasn't as impressed as I was

The photo is beyond suspicion
I have no qualms about handing it out to anybody at all

There are things to do to get to the revelation, but you are left squeaky clean
And the audience are left with a miracle souvenir

Steve
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10627 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-06-09 17:18, steveline wrote:
I was one of those that bought this at Blackpool
I was so impressed I went back the second day and bought a second set

Yesterday I did a deal to buy the new version from someone who wasn't as impressed as I was

The photo is beyond suspicion
I have no qualms about handing it out to anybody at all

There are things to do to get to the revelation, but you are left squeaky clean
And the audience are left with a miracle souvenir

Steve

Steve -

Thanks for the feedback which is really helpful. I trust your judgement and taste a great deal. I am waiting for my copy and I look forward to messing with this.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Alarmed By Noel Qualter (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL