The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Thinking About The South. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Already got a couple of submissions. I'll get as many as I can over to you, it's taking me a little bit longer and for that I apologise. I've had a few things on that have slowed me down.

Also, you may want to request that the mods move this thread back to Pennys or somewhere else... That way there is more exposure and more people donating towards this cause! A few people who are willing to contribute are a tad concerned though (for obvious reasons). Seeing as we don't really know who you are, people are somewhat nervous about putting their name/donating their ideas to a charity eBook in case those who purchase it are duped. Not saying that you would do that, but I am wondering how you will handle the donations to the ARC...? People who purchase effects will need a reliable place to send the money and proof that the donations have been made of course.

I trust that this idea is 100% sincere, but I know there will be lots of people nervous about contributing to this cause without knowing where the money is gong exactly. You've no doubt thought about this already, but posting it here would ease the minds of many I guess.

I'm sure you understand! Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Front cover sent...

I wont be offended if you don't use it - or ask someone else to do one for you...

good luck with the project...

let us know where and when to donate...

and also it goes without saying I hope, that all effects contributed are only sold within the constraints of this charitable cause - and it can't be resold or distributed in any other way...

who are the contributors so far? you wont sell any if its just me...
I've asked to be banned
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
The money will go to the red cross and it will come from the southern belle collective. I'll find a way to get it to them online so people here will be able to see the transactions. As far as names of whois contributing, I don't believe in notoriety through good works, so contributors names will be kept anonymous. If one is donating or helping to be known, then thanks but no thank you. The only true charity is given freely without want or glamor. At least that's how I see it. sorry if this offends anyone, but It's my baby and I have to raise her as best I can. Thanks again for those who understand.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2011-05-03 15:25, IAIN wrote:
Front cover sent...

Very nice cover Iain. If somebody tells me how to post it I'll show it here. Unfortunately the attachment box says it's too big.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Though, if you get a big name contribution - that would raise the profile, and more people more likely to buy it surely?

Click here to view attached image.
I've asked to be banned
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1926 Posts

Profile of Lior
I will send the money directly to the red cross
You can buy the selfie card trick only from me
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T23-WDXdiTrD0TpmGeIr8wNYrpGS-mf7/view
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
It is an anonymous book, with anonymous transactions, with an anonymous person, with anonymous contributors (also then anonymous credits then)....

Southern Belle? Like Blanche Dubois????

Some quotes for the project - involving magic and the art of deception... but you may have to credit the writer of the following if you use them (nope, wasn't me):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blanche DuBois: Oh, Stanley! What sign were you born under?
Stanley Kowalski: What sign?
Blanche DuBois: Astrological sign. I'll bet you were born under Aries. Aries people are forceful, dynamic, they dote on noise. They love to bang things around.
Stella: Stanley was born just five minutes after Christmas.
Blanche DuBois: Capricorn - the goat!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blanche DuBois: Oh look, we have created enchantment.

Blanche DuBois: Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

Blanche DuBois: I know I fib a good deal. After all, a woman's charm is 50% illusion.

Blanche DuBois: I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell truths. I tell what ought to be truth.

Stanley Kowalski: Now will you just open your eyes to this stuff here. Now I mean, what - has she got this stuff out of teacher's pay?... Will you look at these fine feathers and furs that she comes to bring herself in here. What is this article? That's a solid gold dress, I believe... Now what is that? There's a treasure chest of a pirate... That's pearls, Stella, ropes of 'em. What is your sister - a deep sea diver? Bracelets, solid gold. (To Stella) Where are your pearls and gold bracelets?... And here you are. Diamonds. A crown for an empress... Here's your plantation Stella, right here... Well, the Kowalskis and the DuBois - there's just a different notion on this.

Stanley Kowalski: She moved to the hotel called Flamingo which is a second class hotel that has the advantages of not interfering with the private and social life of the personalities there. Now the Flamingo is used to all kinds of goings-on. But even the management of the Flamingo was impressed by Dame Blanche. And in fact, they were so impressed that they requested her to turn in her room-key for permanently. And this, this happened a couple of weeks before she showed here... The trouble with Dame Blanche was that she couldn't put on her act any more in Oriel because they got wised up. And after two or three dates, they quit and then she goes on to another one, the same old line, the same old act, and the same old hooey. And as time went by, she became the town character, regarded not just as different but downright loco and nuts. She didn't re. sign temporarily because of her nerves. She was kicked out before the spring term ended. And I hate to tell you the reason that step was taken. A seventeen-year-old kid she got mixed up with - and the boy's dad learned about it and he got in touch with the high-school superintendent. And there was practically a town ordinance passed against her.

Blanche DuBois: Straight? What's 'straight'? A line can be straight, or a street. But the heart of a human being?

Blanche DuBois: Marry me, Mitch.
Mitch: No, I don't think I want to marry you anymore... No, you're not clean enough to bring into the house with my mother.

Stanley Kowalski: How about a few more details on that subject... Let's cop a gander at the bill of sale... What do you mean? She didn't show you no papers, no deed of sale or nothin' like that?... Well then, what was it then? Given away to charity?... Oh I don't care if she hears me. Now let's see the papers... Now listen. Did you ever hear of the Napoleonic code, Stella?... Now just let me enlighten you on a point or two... Now we got here in the state of Louisiana what's known as the Napoleonic code. You see, now according to that, what belongs to the wife belongs to the husband also, and vice versa... It looks to me like you've been swindled baby. And when you get swindled under Napoleonic code, I get swindled too and I don't like to get swindled... Where's the money if the place was sold?

Stanley Kowalski: Take a look at yourself here in a worn-out Mardi Gras outfit, rented for 50 cents from some rag-picker. And with a crazy crown on. Now what kind of a queen do you think you are? Do you know that I've been on to you from the start, and not once did you pull the wool over this boy's eyes? You come in here and you sprinkle the place with powder and you spray perfume and you stick a paper lantern over the light bulb - and, lo and behold, the place has turned to Egypt and you are the Queen of the Nile, sitting on your throne, swilling down my liquor. And do you know what I say? Ha ha! Do you hear me? Ha ha ha!

A Sailor: Can I help you, ma'am?
Blanche DuBois: Why, they told me to take a streetcar named Desire and then transfer to one called Cemetery and ride six blocks and get off at Elysian Fields.

-----

In the meantime, I will suggest that every charity project I've seen has allowed names of contributors to be seen - not for showing off, but to retain rights to their ideas for future use....not for glory... but just fairness. Something to consider?
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2011-05-03 22:45, Lior wrote:
I will send the money directly to the red cross

That's your choice. If you provide proof of your donation, I'll give you the appropriate ebooks anyway. Can't be fairer than that?
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Spector, I have no idea what your talking about? If your trying to derail this effort then please explain how and why you would do such a thing. As I said in my first post, my involvement in this effort might be controversial and you could have stepped up, to help those in need. YOU DIDN'T. Others have been able to look past their unsubstantiated biases for the sake of others less fortunate, why can't you? Truth is, I don't care, and don't want your help, but perhaps you can look past yourself and not be destructive in you responses, to at least not hinder this effort.

That goes for anybody who would be negative, towards this effort. Just keep it to yourself, as there are some kind and giving people trying to do something good, selflessly for others with this work.

Thank you.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
JD, sorry you thought I was derailing. You are getting paranoid. You called it the Southern Belle Collective and as many people around here know, I do free association to boost creativity for all.

As for the anonymity, - it is the highest level of charity giving in the discussions of the Talmud. So, cool. I just raised the fact that although you might stay anonymous, to help get contributions, people's work should be identified not for glory but to protect them being exploited by others.

Anyway, I look forward to when the book comes out and the method to know what we donate actually gets into the hands of the charity. You could reveal your true identity to the contributors - I really don't care who you are or your name but if I do send material, then I would want to know. Doesn't have to be public.

Good luck getting by on the kindness of strangers - and I would love to see Iain's cover posted up here - so just load it on file.ave for free and post the link here. It is that simple.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2011-05-04 09:43, Dr Spektor wrote:
and I would love to see Iain's cover posted up here - so just load it on file.ave for free and post the link here. It is that simple.

Was done a few posts up. It truly is nice and one I'm honored to use.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Now you can answer this challenge, with action, http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=32&6 and we will see how much you love America?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've posted my 3 little routines down in inner thoughts - people have donated to various charities of their own choosing...

I look forward to your donation jdmagic357...

I don't love america, its a lump of earth that people live on, same as where I live in england... we do not own the land, we merely look after it for period of time, fooling ourselves that it belongs to "us"...

I love some americans, just as I love some germans, japanese, chinese, greek, turkish, estonian, english and a few others inbetween (even australians!)...its not where the disaster happens, its about the poor ******* who have gone through it...

I sponsor a chimp each month - thinking of stopping it though, he never calls or writes...lazy fool...
I've asked to be banned
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Yes it looks like this effort has imploded, as a result of outside agitation and sabotage. A real shame for the southern people!

I am however still grateful, that I was able to shed some light on the issue in this forum.

Please continue to give via whatever means you wish, the victims still need our help!
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 14:09, IAIN wrote:

I love some americans, just as I love some germans, japanese, chinese, greek, turkish, estonian, english and a few others inbetween (even australians!)...its not where the disaster happens, its about the poor ******* who have gone through it...

I sponsor a chimp each month - thinking of stopping it though, he never calls or writes...lazy fool...

(EVEN Australians?) Awwww shucks... your making me feel warm and fuzzy Iain.

I sponsor a billion chimps.... and have given them all type writers. Sure, its the long way round, but eventually I WILL end up with my own collection of the complete works of Shakespear. Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Iain-

What about the Irish?

:eek:
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 22:53, mastermindreader wrote:
Iain-

What about the Irish?

:eek:

not keen to be honest...trouble-makers the lot of 'em!

*warning - english humour may not translate - someone I love dearly is irish*

to be honest and open here, considering the amount of baiting and untoward tugging that goes on in here, to give up at the first hurdle is a little weak willed if you ask me...

think of all those people suffering, and then compare a little spat on a forum to that! ridiculous! and not worthy of "giving in"...

still, a measure of a man is to suffer the slings and arrows and to make a stand for what they feel is right in my opinion...

so do as thou whilt...
I've asked to be banned
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2011-05-07 18:34, IAIN wrote:
to be honest and open here, considering the amount of baiting and untoward tugging that goes on in here, to give up at the first hurdle is a little weak willed if you ask me...

think of all those people suffering, and then compare a little spat on a forum to that! ridiculous! and not worthy of "giving in"...

still, a measure of a man is to suffer the slings and arrows and to make a stand for what they feel is right in my opinion...

so do as thou whilt...

I know that's why it made no sense to just give away the store in the basement when the owner went home. Might have been better to just keep the store open, but hey that's just me.

Honestly the Irish are some of the most beautiful people to ever walk this planet. They indeed do stand up for what they believe in. As do we Americans. 1776 is proof of that, now isn't it? Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It was you who surrendered just cos you got questioned - and you who protested and said you were out of the project - I did my bit, I helped, and I have gone and raised money on my own...

if we are dealing in facts, you have actually not done anything, apart from make a couple of posts...but hey, that's just me... it looked like you were just looking for an excuse to surrender and wash your hands of it...

you have the moral responsibility to continue with it if you so wish, and as you will be doing it anonymously, I guess you can say what you want...i've given up my time and energy to contribute - time now for you take action too...

don't forget - just cos they say it, doesn't make it true...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
And I suppose the bigger question is, if you don't get any contributions, is that people not being interested - or is it that they don't wish to work with you because of your behaviour?

you started this idea, this project - I hope you have the courage to see it through, make amends where needed, swallow your pride, man up and back up the talk with action...

its easy to start threads, post remarks, even reveal secrets online - but its all about being a gentleman, and doing something positive when its really time for action...

so, in peace, and in the hope of helping those folk (like some of us did for the lovely japanese folk) - I truly hope you DO SOMETHING...you can still use the routines, and the cover for this project, and this project only...you may not re-sell, re-distribute or otherwise show/reveal my work elsewhere, via any other means...

those routines have been published before, so under UK copyright/publishing law (different from the US ones) - i, and my work are properly protected and also internationally enforcable...

thanks, much love and goodnight...

and good luck with the project...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Thinking About The South. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL