We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Homeless woman arrested for sending kid to school (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/policere......0009.php

Because she had to use someone else's address. They are charging her with first-degree larceny and conspiracy to commit first-degree larceny for allegedly stealing $15,686 from Norwalk schools. $15,686, that's what it costs for one student for one year in public schools? The government is spending around double what it would cost you to send your kid to private school, where they would probably get a much better education. Considering they are funding said schooling with your money to begin with, wow, how inefficient?

Any who, back to the topic, wait, I might be mistaken, it could be because she sent him to the WRONG school, because she sometimes sleeps in a different district. Then again, she is HOMELESS!

What was the alternative? Not send the kid to school? Oh wait, isn't that illegal too?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Gdw, sounds like a Catch-22 situation.
Magic is a vanishing art.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Haven't read or followed the story in detail but I think this might be one of those instances that I ...... I can not say it .......wait.... agree with you.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-04-29 01:18, abc wrote:
Haven't read or followed the story in detail but I think this might be one of those instances that I ...... I can not say it .......wait.... agree with you.

If you'd waited until the weekend, I could have claimed this as my "major event" for the Mayan thread.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-04-29 00:27, gdw wrote:
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/policere......0009.php

Because she had to use someone else's address. They are charging her with first-degree larceny and conspiracy to commit first-degree larceny for allegedly stealing $15,686 from Norwalk schools. $15,686, that's what it costs for one student for one year in public schools? The government is spending around double what it would cost you to send your kid to private school, where they would probably get a much better education. Considering they are funding said schooling with your money to begin with, wow, how inefficient?

Any who, back to the topic, wait, I might be mistaken, it could be because she sent him to the WRONG school, because she sometimes sleeps in a different district. Then again, she is HOMELESS!

What was the alternative? Not send the kid to school? Oh wait, isn't that illegal too?

I agree with you this is insane, but your figure for private school is wildly out of wack for this part of the country. For a non-religious school, private school can easily cost $30,000 a year.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5859 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Just have to be misleading because they truth is just not controversial enough to get people to care. She falsified documents causing the redirection of federal funding. Most would call that a crime... Unless the cause fit their agenda. When a story needs a lie to get readers, it tells you something about the story.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
There are too many unanswered quesions here.
Is there something wrong with the school or neighborhood where the child is supposed to go?
If the proper school is in a crime ridden area and the other school is in a safe environment, I too would break the law in order to see to it that my Daughter would be as safe as possible.

Sounds to me that she is trying to be a good Mother to her child.

Let's see, $15000.00 going to the wrong school VS. the cost of her court proceedings, jail time, attorney fee's, special investigator's looking for this kind of activity. I would say that the state Government is now spending a lot more money than the $15000.00 that went to the wrong school.
I forgot one other cost. The child will most likely be taken to a state facility or a foster home. How wonderful, a Motherless child in the keeping of new parents who we know will provide a better home for the kid.
The article is biased. The writer makes it sound like she put the cash in her pocket.
I think this could have been settled to everyone's satisfaction but then again, that would take some time and real effort and the power's to be don't really want to work for their pay. They would rather take the easy and expensive (it's not their money) way out. So Sad.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-04-29 02:38, Tom Cutts wrote:
Just have to be misleading because they truth is just not controversial enough to get people to care. She falsified documents causing the redirection of federal funding. Most would call that a crime... Unless the cause fit their agenda. When a story needs a lie to get readers, it tells you something about the story.

Again, care to share what her other option would be? It's illegal for her to NOT send him to school.

The entire idea that this is an issue of trying to send him to the wrong district is what is misleading. Once again, say it with me now, she's HOMELESS!
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-04-29 09:23, irossall wrote:

Let's see, $15000.00 going to the wrong school VS. the cost of her court proceedings, jail time, attorney fee's, special investigator's looking for this kind of activity. I would say that the state Government is now spending a lot more money than the $15000.00 that went to the wrong school.

Not really the point, though, is it? I could take a gun into a bank and demand just one thousand dollars. It would certainly cost far more than the thousand for the cops & courts to find, arrest, and prosecute me. So should I get a pass?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5859 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2011-04-29 11:12, gdw wrote:
Again, care to share what her other option would be? It's illegal for her to NOT send him to school.
Do you just read the headlines and make up the rest? The article gives two great alternatives. Send your kid to where you know you are living (she admitted supplying false information) or move to the shelter in that district which you wish your child to attend. Should be easy as she is homeless, right.

But I know, where is the government conspiracy in that? Smile
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
If I'm not mistaken, it also said she was staying at a shelter in said district.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5859 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
If she really believed that she wouldn't have lied, would she.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Believed what? I didn't say anythingl about anything she believed.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Tom, she DID stay at the shelter in question. There is nothing to "believe" or not.

She has no permanent residence.
I would imagine that if she thought she could have used the shelter as her address she would have.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5859 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
So now you ARE saying she believed in that she lived there. Are you sure that living primarily in one place but occasionally in a shelter affords her the ability to call that shelter her residence. I'm not, but I do think the veracity of the claim might hinge on it. The article elusively claims she stayed there from time to time. What if she hadn't stayed there in six months but instead had spent every night residing in another county?

But don't feel sorry for her, I'm sure the huge settlement she'll get taking the school district and the police to court will set her up nicely. it is unprecedented action which they will have a wonderful time explaining in court.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
You really think SHE will be the one walking away with a settlement? Seriously? She almost certainly end up taking a plea deal, far from her coming out on top.

And what's with putting words in my mouth? Where did I say anything about her believing it was her permanent residence?
Where did I say a *** thing about where she "believes" she lives?
You'd think that being able to at least comprehend what people post would be a prerequisite for moderating a forum. Otherwise how would you even know why your deleting things?

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5859 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I do think she will end up with a shot at a fat settlement if she can get the ACLU behind her. There seems more to it than just the little biased details in the article you quoted.

Well sir, which is it? Did she live at the shelter or not?

She stayed there, but didn't live there?

If I put words in your mouth, then what is your inaccurate statement that I said anything about a permanent residence? I never said that. Your claim that I did kinda does exactly what you yourself are worried about. That is funny.

Much like your inaccurate statement that she was staying there. The article doesn't say that. It very generally says she HAD stayed there FROM TIME TO TIME. Until either of us know what time to time actually means, there is no strong foundation for any claim of a right to subvert the system and send her kid where she wanted him to go, rather than where the tax base supports her sending her kid.

All that aside, the response action taken against her is completely unprecedented and screams lawyer up. I'll bet she is being courted by more than one interested in her case.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Its caled no fixed abobe for your infomation.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Tom, I think most would say where they live is their "permanent residence."

Sorry for my terrible error of using staying over stayed. Good thing I prefaced it with if "I'm not mistaken," or that could have been embarrassing.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5859 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I'd be more impressed if it actually read as a mistake. Given your topic title, it doesn't.

All that aside again, she will get a nice settlement for the actions they took which are unprecedented.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Homeless woman arrested for sending kid to school (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL