The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Jerry's Nugget (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
simplevisitor
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of simplevisitor
Hey guys, first time post. I am not a magician, my little brother is, for months he has been telling me about the Jerry's Nugget deck and I want to surprise him for his birthday coming up. I've tried every magic store in the NYC area with no luck, does anyone know where I could get them besides eBay for a decent price?

Thanks a lot.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Hi, Simplevisitor.

You won't be able to gain access to the Café's "Sale-Buy-Trade sections until you have 50 "qualified" posts.

Additionally, please be advised there is such a thing as fake or counterfeit Jerry's Nuggets cards. I would recommend you do some research in this area. As a start, you might wish to check Google by typing in "counterfeit Jerry's Nugget cards".

Finally, Jerry's Nuggets cards are considered a "collectible" and as such, tend to be very expensive. You better like your little brother a lot. (grin)

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
Honestly its not worth it IMO. Jerry's Nuggets it not even that rare of a deck of cards. They are rare but not the holy grail of cards some make it out to be. They became popular with Dan and Dave Buck. They became a hot item and people stated to buy them because they are the hot item. This lead to people buying up the stock of Jerry's from the market unitl not were available then slowly releasing them into the market demanding high prices.

Im sorry but 100- 3 or 4 hundred dollars a deck is crazy. before they were like 20 dollars a deck if that before the buck twins.

If a person wants to pay that much for a deck of cards by all means do so. I wish I could have a small pie of that type of market. I would have bought brick after brick of Jerry's and have a nice little nest egg

Mike
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
You might look into paying $10-15 for an overtly fake deck
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
They are rubbish cards for table work and traditional magic, but flourish guys like them. I can't stand them and used to own a bunch which I tossed in a drawer. One of these days I'll uncover them and do a video for Youtube where I toss them one at a time on a log fire as I smoke a pipe and do an Earl Nelson impersonation in a winged chair and slippers.

Jerry's Nugget is a good name for them. I'm going to switch to that.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
They are very overly hyped. The impression is that all the Vegas card men used them when they were still around and easy to get. The truth is they weren't used that much. They weren't anything special back then and still aren't. How do I know? I am from the area and I even used Jerry's decks once in a while back then. But they were never even thought of to be one of the best decks to use by any card man in Vegas.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Expect to pay a ton of money, unless you buy a knock off.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
I'm sure Lee Asher has them for sale!
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
bozo
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of bozo
Your little brother doesn't care if they're easy to work with. He wants them because they're cool! I say spend the $$ and make the little nipper happy.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Turner Gold decks are a very good alternative. Also look for Tally Ho decks in magic shops. Tally's are very good too. If you have walgreens in your area the Stud cards aren't too shabby either. I know quite a few card guys that like them better over other decks. Forget the Jerry's Nuggets cards. They certainly aren't worth the high prices they are being sold for. Plus if you do buy any for him once the decks are beyond using anymore then what? Spend even more money if you can find a source for more? Please heed the warnings here and don't even bother finding them for him Your wallet will thank you and your brother will be much happier with better decks than the ones he thinks he wants.
bozo
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of bozo
Now Arcco Tahoe's on the other hand...
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"They certainly aren't worth the high prices they are being sold for."

were they overpriced when they were $10 -- a lot for a deck of cards. they also turned out to be worth it at $50/deck. even $100/deck. but you somehow know the market price for them won't continue to increase? few things appreciate in value by thousands of percent, and are easily liquidated. yet these cards have. they are at least potentially a sound investment. that they are not intrinsically valuable is irrelevant as long as people are willing to buy them, pay a lot, and can sell them for more. while that trend is likely to abate or even reverse -- some time -- anyone who could accurately say when that will happen is likely already a billionaire. was apple stock not "worth the high prices" at $50/share? $100/share? no. enron, by contrast, was overpriced in the same range. likewise, the prevailing price for these cards will either go up or down. it's far from certain which it will be.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
If you have walgreens in your area the Stud cards aren't too shabby either.

Yes they are.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
No, I've turned to Studs. Pretty good cards, and they last quite a while. Much better stock than Bicycle.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-05-01 12:30, ringmaster wrote:
Quote:
If you have walgreens in your area the Stud cards aren't too shabby either.

Yes they are.

Must be why Allan Ackerman likes them over Bicycle decks eh? How about Jack Carpenter? He's been known to use them. The late Looy S. was fond of them too. I've heard other well known card men say they liked them as well. They may not use them often, but they are aware that they are a good choice.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2011-05-01 12:34, Justin W wrote:
No, I've turned to Studs. Pretty good cards, and they last quite a while. Much better stock than Bicycle.
OK' I'll give them another look.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
All serious card men use tally-ho red fan back. this is common knowledge. the air cushion is achieved with a pentagonal imprint, as opposed to the inferior triangular imprint on the rest of the bicycle line. also, the court cards use a low-density ink, whereas all other brands of cards use a bulky ink that can throw off faros and riffle stacks. a very think strip of highly pressurized carbon in the center of the black number cards gives the entire deck a proper tension. just the red tally fans. again, it's what all the serious cardmen use.
bobon
View Profile
Regular user
Hyderabad .India
166 Posts

Profile of bobon
Quote:
On 2011-04-29 02:08, simplevisitor wrote:
Hey guys, first time post. I am not a magician, my little brother is, for months he has been telling me about the Jerry's Nugget deck and I want to surprise him for his birthday coming up. I've tried every magic store in the NYC area with no luck, does anyone know where I could get them besides ebay for a decent price?

thanks a lot.

....wish I had a brother like you.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-05-01 23:24, R.E. Byrnes wrote:
All serious card men use tally-ho red fan back. this is common knowledge. the air cushion is achieved with a pentagonal imprint, as opposed to the inferior triangular imprint on the rest of the bicycle line. also, the court cards use a low-density ink, whereas all other brands of cards use a bulky ink that can throw off faros and riffle stacks. a very think strip of highly pressurized carbon in the center of the black number cards gives the entire deck a proper tension. just the red tally fans. again, it's what all the serious cardmen use.

Quality R.E. - that's my kind of post! Smile
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
Actually, I was mistaken; thinking of some other card brand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Jerry's Nugget (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL