The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Ultimate Dove Loop Holder Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Markgician
View Profile
New user
The Story Circle Philippines
59 Posts

Profile of Markgician
Hi guys, I'm Mark my stage name is "The Markgician". I'm an aspiring magician from the Philippines and I'm new to the Magic Café. I'm currently a certified member of "The Story Circle Philippines". I hard a hard time registering due to the restrictions of the domains allowed to create an account here. One of the guys I look up to is Dan Sperry, he's been my idol ever since I entered the magic world years ago, oh and nice to finally meet you guys, I've been reading from the shadows, and now I can finally post!

Anyway, I've been stealing doves off by attaching the loops on my lapel's buttons, but I recently bought Dan Sperry's "Ultimate Dove Loop Holder" and I have a question on how to actually attach it to my loop, I use monofilament, and I have no idea how to actually install it to the loop holder, It came with instructions, but still I'm left clueless.

Comments and suggestions WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED. Thank you!
#TheStoryCircle
Lavey
View Profile
Regular user
Luxembourg
150 Posts

Profile of Lavey
Hello,

I also use the Sperrys Holders. But the instructions are really easy and with pictures... You have to make new loops, look at the pictures of the instructions.
Christian Lavey
Magician from Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Magicien de Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Zauberer aus Luxemburg https://lavey.lu
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I use Dan's holders sometimes as well. I think any further explanation should be done via a pm as it wouldn't be fair to Dan to expose them.
Where the magic begins
Markgician
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Markgician
Quote:
On 2011-04-29 09:25, Lavey wrote:
Hello,

I also use the Sperrys Holders. But the instructions are really easy and with pictures... You have to make new loops, look at the pictures of the instructions.

Thanks Sir Lavey! I'm still working on understanding the leaflet that comes with it.

Quote:
On 2011-04-29 15:11, Dave Scribner wrote:
I use Dan's holders sometimes as well. I think any further explanation should be done via a pm as it wouldn't be fair to Dan to expose them.

I sent you a PM sir Dave. Thank you for your help!
#TheStoryCircle
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
Does anyone work with magnets ? I just bought the pro dove wire and I was thinking of sewing a magnet inside my jacket. Has anyone ever tried ?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-05-01 15:31, Vayron wrote:
Does anyone work with magnets ? I just bought the pro dove wire and I was thinking of sewing a magnet inside my jacket. Has anyone ever tried ?

That is overkill in my opinion. I have use 2 small pieces of tape finally settling on Gen Grant's clips, they are great and simple. The best is always the simplist in the end.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
A lot of this depends also on the amount of movement your body is doing during the routine, and the length of loop and line.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magnets work but there is a lot of trial an error. You need a magnet strong enough to hold the loop but weak enough so that if you use any other metallic prop, it doesn't get attracted to it.
Where the magic begins
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
What LB test line are you using for monofilimant. When using my holder a heavier - although not TOO heavy - test line will work fine - just make the loop the exact same way I describe in the instructions with the "Jesus fish" and attach it that way. I'm assuming you are using one big loop, in that case it won't work, you have to use the same loop set up that I show in the instructions but it can be adapted to monofiliment. Its basically a take-off of Shimada's stye of loop set up, its what I've been using since I started and I like that style so you're not fussing with one giant loop. Good luck with it!

Dan
DANSPERRY.COM
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I think Mark understands now. I sent him several photos and instructions via email and he sees that he must modify his loops.
Where the magic begins
Markgician
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Markgician
Hi Dan thanks for responding, Dave already helped me with my problem, I had to redo all my loops, no wonder I couldn't understand the Jesus loop thing because I'm using monofilament and not wire. Thank you again.

Posted: May 20, 2011 4:13pm
Hi guys, I have another question about the loop holder, to be able to use the holder itself, you have to be using the longline method to be able to attach the loops to the holder is that correct? Therefore making it hard to do one handed invisible harness productions? I recon it'll be harder to balance the dove using the pinky thumb method.
#TheStoryCircle
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mark, it doesn't matter whether your doing a handed invisible production or a dove holder. All you need is one leg of the actual loop to go into the holder. The only difference between what you were doing and the new loops is the line running to the dove in your version was a continuos loop and with Dan's method, you only have one line. The length of the line from the loop to dove is the same length.
Where the magic begins
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 16:13, themarkgician wrote:
Hi guys, I have another question about the loop holder, to be able to use the holder itself, you have to be using the longline method to be able to attach the loops to the holder is that correct? Therefore making it hard to do one handed invisible harness productions? I recon it'll be harder to balance the dove using the pinky thumb method.

I believe it comes down to your style of doing the "get-ready" for the IDH rpoduction. If by "pinky method" you mean using the pinky to take and hold the loop then your thumb to do the actual pulling it does not hurt the bird's balance.

I am not familiar with Sperry's loop holder, though, it might have more influence than I think. I've always used tape and / or velcro to keep loops in place, it works very well.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Ultimate Dove Loop Holder Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL