The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Handle with Carey - John Carey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Initial review -

The 'Bias' rating - No real bias, as I do not know John or Russ and I paid full price for the DVD. I have tried material from John before, as I picked up 'Spotlight on Carey' a couple of years ago.

Production values:
Another excellent RSVP release with a mix of mostly live footage, followed by clear explanations. In the explanations, John was joined by two gentlemen of magic, Shaun McCree and Iain Moran. Both add to the quality of the explanations rather than just endlessly waffling.

The John Carey factor:
Compared to 'Spotlight on Carey' where John just performed to the camera (and came across a bit 'wooden'), this really allows you to see John's effortless, unassuming style and patter. He really came across as a nice guy; so much so, I was tempted to send him a pint of beer by post!

Difficulty:
Easy to intermediate. Not ideal for complete beginners, but real world sleights.

Crediting:
Very thorough, and discussed throughout, rather than being stuffed in an end chapter.

The effects:

Counting on you - I normally really dislike spelling or counting tricks. This is one I will learn as it should (I think) be a great FASDIU (with one quick bit of 'work') piece that may come across as a bit more 'cerebral' - ideal for when you want a more thoughtful effect. The method is simple and you may get a double revelation, with the 'card at number' plus possibly guessing the 'thought of' number.

Simple Fusion - A nice variation of the impromptu Anni-Waltz. Smooth, easy handling and a different option to 'Second Inkstain' (McCree) or 'Scooped'(Smith). This is not better or worse than the previously mentioned items, rather a variation that may appeal to some.

Gemini Detector - A lie detector effect that brings your business card into play (you could use a piece of paper etc.). Not a dazzling opener perhaps, but a great middle effect or closer. I will definitely play with this and give it a try. Remember - it gets your business card in play. the only thing I would say about this and any peaked card routine, is that I would always like to get more than one person to see the peaked card (spec's forget!).

3 Chances - A rising card from a sandwich. I used to perform the Buck Twin's Subway routine, but dropped it as I could not make it my own. This uses the spectator and I like it. I won't use it as it is, but will incorporate it into a two person, Pradier inspired sandwich routine I have been playing with.

Balducci as I Balducci - Guess what? This is a 'do as I do' routine! not a surprise, but a fun routine. It looked good on camera but did not inspire me to learn it.

Sticking up for Larry - Shaun McCree said "minimal moves, minimal work and a really impactful end" Well summed up Shaun. A sort of card at any number effect. This is quick, direct and strong. I will use this, very nice.

Searching for a Sandwich - This reminded me of Aaron Fisher's Search and Destroy, but was inspired by Lucero and Jennings. I'm not a huge fan of Sandwich tricks, but this is a really nice progressive, in the hands effect where two cards progressively close in on the selection. Lots of room for personalisation. I may try this.

Speccy Magician - This one was performed to Ian and Shaun. A nice pseudo - teach a spec. a trick effect. Looked good, but did not inspire me to pick up a deck. Easy to follow and involved some counting procedures.

BTB - A simple bill to impossible location. This reminded me of part of a Bannon coin routine. This uses no 'gimmicks' such as TTs. This looked good and got a good reaction. I’m not sure; I may give this a try.

WTF Pocket Interchange – Another performance to Ian and Shaun. A simple pocket interchange where 3 cards in the hand transpose with 3 in the pocket. Nice, quick and visual. I may give it a try.

Triple Impursination – This is a fantastic routine. I have worked with this before and love it. The only thing I have struggled with is the ‘windows’ between my fingers which always threaten to flash the coin in *** ***. This is a really visual, strong routine.

Gys coin – A one coin flurry with jumbo climax. This all happens in the magician’s hands and is nothing ground breaking. I am not a fan of coin from elbow, but… this is a lesson in performing a really smooth, easy to follow, non-confusing coin flurry. I already use a short one coin routine, but did admire John’s work.

Toolbox – John teaches a range of sleights in a clear and concise manner.

PDF – Written credits

Bonus disk – What, you didn’t pre-order this?

Inside Outside – A short single phase Triumph type routine based on ‘Unshuffling Rebecca’ by Paul Harris. A nice quickie, but not as strong as some of the other material IMHO (horses for courses).

Think and Cut – Another quick and direct effect. Not earth shattering, but a useful piece of work.

Threely departed – 3 cards are selected and found in a mysterious way. I really liked this and will either give it a go ‘as is’ or will use it as part of a larger routine. Nice work.

-----------------------------

Overall:
I’m trying to steer away from ratings, as reviews are very subjective. I will make a few points-
John appears to be a nice guy with a very polished, smooth and likable performing style, which involves the spectator, but is not as bold or ballsy as the likes of James Brown (which can be a good thing).
This is like the several recent RSVP releases from Smith, Smith & Jones, McCree, James etc. in that this is simple, direct effective material. It is obvious why several leading magicians all mention John Carey as an inspiration.

If you are a hobbyist – I strongly urge you to consider this.
If you are a mix n mingle / strolling worker - I strongly urge you to consider this.
If you are a Dan & Dave flourisher – I strongly urge you to buy three packs of ‘Dark Metal Tiger’ playing cards instead!
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Hi Charlie,

Thank you so much for that honest review. So pleased you find the material to your liking. Practicality is the key word when I put material together. I urge you to try out Balducci as I Balducci on lay spectators. I think the reactions you get will surprise you. I must have worked out about 20 versions and approaches to this plot in the past year or so. This is now my keeper. Ask Mike Vincent how strongly it plays-he has added it to his professional repertoire. I hope all of you who have received your dvds are having a blast working through the material. Any questions, just ask. I will be at the Bristol convention next weekend, so just pop up and say hi and it will be my pleasure to run through anything with you all. The password by the way is Fosters.lolll

Have a great weekend Charlie and everyone on the mean green machine.

John Carey
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I did not mention that nearly all the card material uses just a shuffled deck (just the odd routine which needs a c****). Considering the impact these routines have in the live performances...

John,
I will try Balducci. I'm sure both you and Mr Vincent can't be wrong! Enjoy Bristol.

Charlie
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Watched this through last night. Direct (usually simple) methods and the effects are very strong. Pretty much every trick I thought, "I want to try that out"! Excellent stuff. Congratulations John.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Many thanks Martino. Pleased you are happy with your purchase.

Best

John
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Thank Iain Moran John. It was his recommendation to me that sold it to me! Just sorry I missed out getting down to Illusions for the recording of it now!

Regards,

Martin.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
It was such a fun night at Illusions Martin. Shame the bar is closing. Hope it was not because of me.lollll

What are your favourite items so far on the dvd may I ask?

Best

John

http://www.johncareymagic.co.uk
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Cannot wait to check this out.

And, what??? Illusions is closing? Man, that place is awesome! I'm really sorry to hear that.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
The Manchester one is Cameron. Lease issues I believe. The Bristol one is still going strong.

John

Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
To be honest John I think I pretty much liked them all but if I had to pick, the ones I'll be looking at trying first will be "Sticking Up for Larry", "Searching for a Sandwich" and "Balducci as I Balducci". I'd like to think that I will try most if not all of them at some point though!

If you're ever up in Manchester again look me up through Iain and I'd be glad to buy you a beer or two!

Regards,

Martin.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
I should be lecturing up there soon Martin, subject to confirmation.

Best

John

Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Manchester Circle or Order of the Magi?
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Order of the Magi Martin. It would be nice to book a couple more in in the north west too.

John

magichunter
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of magichunter
I saw the advertising for this and it was compelling. (I clicked on the ad here on the Café) Then a fellow magician performed "Counting on You" which is on the DVD...I guess I was sold at that point.

Now I have received the DVD and worked with several of the routines. The methods are well within an intermediate card handler's capabilities. The routines offer clear and direct effects. Within a few hours of working with this material I am confident that I can actually perform several of the routines with proficiency. I can say that rarely happens to me; at least at my skill level.
I feel like I got more than my moneys worth in this case, and that is even more rare.

I am a fan.

Joe
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Thank you so much for your kind words Joe. It really is appreciated.

Best

John

russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Everyone,

For all customers we are delighted to announce that Murphys Magic Supplies now have this DVD. Please contact your favorite dealer to buy yours direct in the US.

Thanks also for all the private messages from people that have bought the DVD and for their kind words.

Best,
Russ - rsvpmagic
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Or even from me eh Russ? lollll

Thanks once again Russ for giving me this opportunity. I know that sounds cliche but I mean every word.

Kind regards

John

puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I tried 'Sticking up for Larry' last night while working. I liked the effect and it went over better than I had expected! A really strong reaction.
Next gig I'll try Gemini prediction...

Charlie
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Hey Charlie,

That's great to hear. So nice to hear that people are using the material at their gigs.

Best

John

Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Just had a moment to sit down with this. I popped in the bonus disk that I got with the pre-order.

Even with just the bonus disk, I want to praise how practical Carey's material is.

I had a grin on my face watching Threely Departed.

Fantastic so far! And I'm just watching the bonus.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Handle with Carey - John Carey (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL