The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Who agrees with Woland? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 11:23, LobowolfXXX wrote:
. . . my comments about the Democratic party were [intended] to make a point, by analogy, about the Tea Party.

Did they succeed?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 13:01, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
. . . my comments about the Democratic party were [intended] to make a point, by analogy, about the Tea Party.

Did they succeed?

That might be one of them philosophical-type trees-in-unoccupied-forests questions.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 13:06, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 13:01, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

Did they succeed?

That might be one of them philosophical-type trees-in-unoccupied-forests questions.

That made my day!

Thanks!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 10:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
You dismiss it when the Tea Party says it does not stand for those things. You are prefectly happy to think the worst of those you disagree with but let it go with those who fit your agenda. At least admit it.

Who are these Tea Partiers, who have apologized for their own racism, whose sincerity I refuse to accept?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2011-05-03 19:34, balducci wrote:

Also, AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka said he witnessed the events: "I watched them spit at people, I watched them call John Lewis the n-word. I witnessed it."

Of course, in watching video of the event, Richard Trumka is no where to be seen.

Two points of view on what might have happened for those who have only heard one side:

From Big Government:
http://biggovernment.com/sright/2010/08/......mantled/

Response from Mediaite.

Honestly, I find both to present fairly compelling arguments. However, I tend to agree with BigGovernment. I find it extremely hard to imagine that in this day of video everywhere and with the amount of people, press, etc. at this event that no video proof is available. They didn't claim they heard the N word once or twice on the periphery, they claimed that they heard it up to 15 times, almost being chanted. Yet in the video provided of the event, 1st, you never hear it, 2nd, you never see any reaction from the congressmen that someone just yelled that at them. Can you imagine that someone who fought for his civil rights as hard and long as Rep Lewis did that he would show no reaction and would not confront someone yelling the N word at him? It beggars the imagination.
Is there conclusive proof that it didn’t happen? No. But there is even less proof than it did other than the statements of men wanting to de-legitimize the Tea party by claiming they are racist. And by men, (Trumpka), obviously lying to add credence to the claims.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 14:20, rockwall wrote:
From Big Government:

Response from Mediaite.

These appear to be identical links.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 14:19, landmark wrote:
Quote:
You dismiss it when the Tea Party says it does not stand for those things. You are prefectly happy to think the worst of those you disagree with but let it go with those who fit your agenda. At least admit it.

Who are these Tea Partiers, who have apologized for their own racism, whose sincerity I refuse to accept?

How about the Tea Party leaders who have denounced any racism in the Tea Party movement?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Yet in the video provided of the event, 1st, you never hear it, 2nd, you never see any reaction from the congressmen that someone just yelled that at them.

This was addresed on the previous page:

"But an article from the Associated Press says the video Breitbart trumpeted was not shot at the time the black lawmakers say they were targeted with the N-word; rather, the video was shot an hour later, as the group emerged from a congressional meeting. They had alleged that they were targeted as they were walking into the meeting.

Asked by AP about the inconsistency, Breitbart responded, “I’m not saying the video was conclusive proof.”

http://ztnewstoday.com/2010/07/21/ap-fac......t-loses/
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 18:10, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 14:19, landmark wrote:
Quote:

How about the Tea Party leaders who have denounced any racism in the Tea Party movement?

Danny, please read again. I wrote "Who are these Tea Partiers, who have apologized for their own racism," not "denied their own racism."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You and Chance paint the whole movement as racist. It is not. This is clear. You put up video of "proof" or what not yet somehow nobody was able to find any actual use of the racial epithets that are claimed.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 18:16, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Yet in the video provided of the event, 1st, you never hear it, 2nd, you never see any reaction from the congressmen that someone just yelled that at them.

This was addresed on the previous page:

"But an article from the Associated Press says the video Breitbart trumpeted was not shot at the time the black lawmakers say they were targeted with the N-word; rather, the video was shot an hour later, as the group emerged from a congressional meeting. They had alleged that they were targeted as they were walking into the meeting.

Asked by AP about the inconsistency, Breitbart responded, “I’m not saying the video was conclusive proof.”

http://ztnewstoday.com/2010/07/21/ap-fac......t-loses/

Actually, it wasn't. There have been several videos, not just one. Several of the videos WERE shot at the time.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 18:18, landmark wrote:
Danny, please read again. I wrote "Who are these Tea Partiers, who have apologized for their own racism," not "denied their own racism."

Landmark, when was exactly that you stopped beating your wife?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 19:01, Dannydoyle wrote:
You and Chance paint the whole movement as racist. It is not. This is clear. You put up video of "proof" or what not yet somehow nobody was able to find any actual use of the racial epithets that are claimed.

1) I specifically denied that the whole movement was racist.
2) I didn't put up any videos.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 19:09, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 18:18, landmark wrote:

Landmark, when was exactly that you stopped beating your wife?

If you didn't read the whole thread or forgot, the context was that I had said it was unusual that Jesse Jackson had apologized for his own racist remarks. Danny then asked why I was not as forgiving to Tea Partiers. I replied I was wondering which Tea Partiers was he talking about who had apologized for their racism, as I was not aware that any such thing had ever happened. Danny, apparently not understanding what I had said about Jackson, repeated that there were Tea Partiers who had disavowed other's racism. I replied that I was talking about disavowing one's own racism, referring to Jackson's disavowal of his own actions.

So Danny replied with an answer that had nothing to do with my statement about Jackson. I attempted to put him straight as to what I was talking about.

I'd be curious to see the videos that were taken when the slurs were alleged to have happened. Any links?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2011-05-07 03:26, landmark wrote:

I'd be curious to see the videos that were taken when the slurs were alleged to have happened. Any links?

Why? It wouldn’t change your opinion would it?

But here you go just the same.

http://bigjournalism.com/abreitbart/2010......re-56242
Now you’ll notice that there are a couple of videos put together here. One is from Lee Fang of the liberal American Progress think tank mentioned in the AP article. As the AP quoted him, although he didn’t here the N work, he “believed it was used” and the great line, “If it didn’t happen on YouTube”, says a regretful Fang, “it didn’t happen at all”.

Yep, I’m pretty sure he really is sorry that he didn’t get to here them yelling the N word but is quite sure they did just the same.

There’s another video a little later that is from the same scene as Fang’s but catches the congressmen when they first start walking down the steps and is from a different angle. You’ll notice a few things, no Trumpka, no Capital Police rushing over to keep the angry mob at bay, no reaction to people yelling the N word. Pretty much a very different story than what was told. So yes, Trumpka is a liar and I believe the Congressmen concocting this story are also.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
5:18, it's clearly heard, even with all the distracting voiceovers and music that was edited in.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Things seem to have gotten a bit off topic, but not that far. What I find curious is that people are quibbling over what is racist. Whether the stuff was touched up or not really doesn't matter, because it's racist no matter if it is original or a cut and paste job. Some have counted the racist pictures and seem okay that there are only nine, is that an acceptable number? Is ten the magical number, anything over that serves as cause for people to get their hackles up? Racist is racist, if there is one incident then there is a problem, maybe not with the whole group but one that needs to be addressed.

I will say I have heard the rhetoric coming from the Tea Party. I have seen the signs, not these but some just as inflammatory and many there seemed to be okay with it, laughing and joining in the garbage. It is racist, not simple misguided prejudice. It is racist. What else is racist are people demanding that a sitting president of the United States produce his papers to prove he is a United States citizen. No one has ever asked President Bush, President Clinton, and the great and hallowed President Reagan to produce theirs. But we need the black guy to produce his.

And while on the subject of papers, what I find absolutely ironic is that those who claim President Obama is a fascist and cast him in the likeness of Adolph Hitler are the same ones who are demanding that certain people of a singled out ethnicity produce papers on demand to law enforcement officers.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile Yes it is quite strange.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Landmark can and does speak for himself quite well, but I'm extremely sure that when he notes that he counted nine instances of racism, it isn't an indication that he's "ok" with just nine, but rather that, despite being sensitive (and opposed) to racism as our original poster, he (Landmark, we're talking about) also has a little thing called intellectual honesty.

Having answered the question in the OP, we mostly moved into the more interesting (IMO) and important question of what, if anything, that says about the party in general. Personally, I agree with our President and Vice President that the Tea Party is not a racist organization, but your mileage may vary. By way of comparison, I presented a few instances of racists whose behavior has been endorsed on a much broader scale by the Democratic Party. Thus far, I note that nobody has wanted to touch the issue of unrepentant slanderer and race-baiter Al Sharpton, a featured speaker at the DNC. Surprise, surprise.

As for the birth certificate thing, you're right that a substantial minority of opponents have made an issue of whether Obama is a natural born citizen in a way that didn't happen with Bush, Clinton, or Reagan. And you can certainly choose to attribute that to the fact that Obama is African-American. At the very least, I find it plausible that it might possibly be related to the fact that neither Bush, nor Clinton, nor Reagan had a non-citizen parent, nor a relative who claimed to be present at his birth outside the country. My belief is that had that been the case, there would, indeed, have been a major issue about the natural-born citizen requirement in his case, as well.

Your last paragraph mischaracterizes SB 1070 (the law does not single out an ethnicity, nor permit any law enforcement officer "on demand" to require the production of papers), and ignores the fact that the law does not put any greater burden on any citizen or resident alien than already existed under federal law. What I find ironic is the number of people, particularly with law enforcement experience, who are very adverse to the enforcement of immigration law, and very hostile to measures that would make it harder to break the law. Such as, when there is constitutionally-permissible justification, attempting to ascertain whether resident aliens are complying with the federally-mandated terms of their residency. Until the federal law requiring the carrying of alien registration cards is repealed, it would seem to make sense that under SOME circumstances, law enforcement officials might be able to inquire. As an analogy, wouldn't you think it odd if there was a law that said you had to have (and carry) a driver's license when you drive, but police officers who pull you over weren'tallowed to ask to see it?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Who agrees with Woland? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL