The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Who agrees with Woland? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..10~11~12 [Next]
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S38VioxnBaI

Quote:
On 2011-05-01 23:42, Woland wrote:
The video you linked shows a lot of people carrying protest signs attacking the President in various ways, but they do not attack him because he is black. And in any event, most of them appear to be rather gentle.

Yesterday (May 1st) Woland watched this video and then said that 1) what he sees is actually rather gentle in nature, and 2) has no racial content whatsoever.

Does any one else here agree with him?
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
The exact number of people who agree with you.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Sure, there's racist stuff in that video.

Which Café members did you see in it, Chance?

As I said in the other thread: start naming names or shut up.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 12:11, Chance wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S38VioxnBaI

Quote:
On 2011-05-01 23:42, Woland wrote:
The video you linked shows a lot of people carrying protest signs attacking the President in various ways, but they do not attack him because he is black. And in any event, most of them appear to be rather gentle.

Yesterday (May 1st) Woland watched this video and then said that 1) what he sees is actually rather gentle in nature, and 2) has no racial content whatsoever.

Does any one else here agree with him?

I saw nine things in that video I'd construe as racist, personally. Many more that I would not construe as racist, a number of which are obviously not racist.

I mean, posting a video and calling it "TEA PARTY RACISM: What the Media Won't Show You About Teabagger Racism," and then as examples of the racism we include photos of a guy with a sign that says, "I want America back," and a woman with a sign saying, "Thank you Glenn and Rush"? Really? Is there so little that those images need to be construed as racist to make a video that's less than six minutes long?

I've never denied that racism exists in the USA (some of the racists, btw, are Obama SUPPORTERS); but for every person who has a problem with Obama as a president because of his color, there are countless others who have a problem with him because of his ideology. The racism factor, as compared with the political factor, is negligible as affecting the rhetoric of those who revile him.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Wow, when Landmark and I come up with the same figure, you KNOW it's accurate. Must be 9.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 12:29, stoneunhinged wrote:
Sure, there's racist stuff in that video.

Which Café members did you see in it, Chance?

As I said in the other thread: start naming names or shut up.

I'm not sure what you're saying, Stoney. I never said there were Café members in the video.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
You guys are being too literal. As in, it only counts as racism if the words "black", "white", or "ni**er" are used.

So I wonder how Muslim-Americans feel when they watch that video?

Or Jewish-Americans?

Or German-Americans?

About the only minority group not attacked in some way in that video are Latinos.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 13:03, Chance wrote:
You guys are being too literal. As in, it only counts as racism if the words "black", "white", or "ni**er" are used.

So I wonder how Muslim-Americans feel when they watch that video?

Or Jewish-Americans?

Or German-Americans?

About the only minority group not attacked in some way in that video are Latinos.

But you translate the "racism" in the video to people's having a perceived problem with an African-American in the White House. I could show you far more references to Bush as a Nazi; does that mean that the people making those references had a problem with a white man being in the White House?

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Clearly NOT gentle
Clearly racial overtones.

I had a long conversation about racism with my wife last night. It's important to note that a lot of people are not overtly racist but prejudiced. These people may not even know that their prejudice is racial and that only it makes it all the more insidious.

There are a lot of people with legit concerns about the presidents policies, but many people that I see in protests like this are either racist OR they are prejudiced and rationalizing their prejudice with whatever they can find (IMO).
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Are the progressives who called Bush a Nazi and carried signs to that effect racists?

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Paraphrasing a line from "The Simpsons".

The Tea Party: Not racist, but #1 with racists.

(The Simpsons had "Fox News" in place of "The Tea Party".)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I think you both stand for opposite extremes.
I don't particularly believe that either of you is a militant racist.
But I think some of the people in the video are.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
I took the time to watch this slide montage - with the sound off as still images with crappy music annoy me. I would say there are racists in the mix.
So, my questions are, did the assembly of these images represent a majority of the people present that day, or are the images cherry picked to produce this result? If the racists were in a minority there, how did the others react to them and are there pictures or audio showing people distancing themselves from the racists? Hitler stuff was used as well on Reagan, Bush elder and junior as well as other conservative leaders and nobody seemed outraged about that.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 15:19, thorndyke wrote:
I took the time to watch this slide montage - with the sound off as still images with crappy music annoy me. I would say there are racists in the mix.
So, my questions are, did the assembly of these images represent a majority of the people present that day, or are the images cherry picked to produce this result? If the racists were in a minority there, how did the others react to them and are there pictures or audio showing people distancing themselves from the racists? Hitler stuff was used as well on Reagan, Bush elder and junior as well as other conservative leaders and nobody seemed outraged about that.

With all due respect for your time spent watching, that's not the point of this thread.

The point is that Woland said that he saw nothing racially motivated AT ALL in that video, and that what he did see was simply "gentle" political discourse.

I'm asking if any one else here agrees with him. I think it's safe to say you do not.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
Fair enough, although I question the video itself as far as its motivation, - is it selective, or are all the tea party protesters as the ones in the slide show? A valid question I think, and not that far off from the topic.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The point of the video is to somehow verrify Chance's own racist viewpoint.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 17:06, Dannydoyle wrote:

What viewpoint is that exactly? How is it that a person offended by acts of racial intolerance is themselves a racist?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Well, when there's only one person who sees these racist acts...
I don't think it means that person is necessarily a racist, but it does provide some evidence that the individual may be experiencing some delusional paranoia.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 17:31, critter wrote:
Well, when there's only one person who sees these racist acts...
I don't think it means that person is necessarily a racist, but it does provide some evidence that the individual may be experiencing some delusional paranoia.

Or supressing his own viewpoint and projecting that upon others.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 17:10, Chance wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 17:06, Dannydoyle wrote:

What viewpoint is that exactly? How is it that a person offended by acts of racial intolerance is themselves a racist?

The fact that you see EVERYTHING (almost) in terms of race. You accuse racist at every turn possible and not ONCE has another member here agreed with you in doing so. When you are asked to provide proof of such things you duck dodge and hide and never ever give proof of ANYTHING you assert.

Oh and just to be clear, it is possible for a white person to be racist against other white people. Just food for thought. Not that you will think, but there it is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Who agrees with Woland? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL