The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » What's Your Solution for Dry Hands In Card Work? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
How did you determine the proportions?
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Experimentally. Smile I started with a ratio of 1:1:1 of isopropyl alcohol to glycerin to water and made adjustments until I got what I wanted. Fortunately, glycerin, water and alcohol are cheap.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Very good.
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
294 Posts

Profile of Kingman
I have to say that I use the Martin Nash technique. I carry LEE Sortkwik® Fingertip Moisteners and place some behind my ear. When I need to I just do a quick rub with my thumbs and then transfer it to my fingertips with a quick rubbing motion. I have yet to find anything that works as quickly and easily for me.

Kingman
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
Nikodemus Siivola
View Profile
New user
Helsinki, Finland
39 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus Siivola
Bunch of things that haven't been mentioned yet:

1. use a pH neutral hypoallergenic soap -- never a detergent based one. Don't wash with hot or cold water.

2. if you smoke, quit. Skin on my fingers used to literally peel off each winter -- till I quit smoking.

3. exercise. Promotes blood flow in extremities and helps keep your skin healthy.

4. eat a balanced diet. (Avoid excessive amounts of processed oils, caffeine, alcohol, white sugar, and fried foods.)

5. sleep enough. If you don't rest enough your body can't fix itself properly.

Even if it's just your hands that are dry, doing things that help dry skin in general should help the skin on your hands better withstand the abuse from washing, etc.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thurston's method, anyone?
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2633 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Thurston's, but not followed by card to mouth.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3983 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I wonder how Thurston had the...substance...collected?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Mike Gorman
View Profile
New user
Cary, North Carolina
58 Posts

Profile of Mike Gorman
Thanks, lots of stuff to try. I appreciate the ideas.
Blueroyalty
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of Blueroyalty
I actually have the exact opposite problem - really sweaty hands. Had it for years. Almost impossible to do any faro work due to me warping the cards in five minutes Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3983 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Check the topic in "Gaffed and Funky" on this same subject. Some new products are mentioned, one of which, 'O'Keefe's Working Hands" I found to be very good. There were some other products listed that hadn't been talked about too much before, as well.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5367 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I'm a "Golden Touch" user, and my results improved exponentially after watching Looy Simonoff apply the stuff. He would spray his hands pretty liberally (4 or 5 full sprays) and then rub it in. Prior to that I had only used it sparingly. Quite a difference!

On another note, has anyone tried the lotion that Dan & Dave are now selling?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3983 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
At $24.95 a bottle, it might be hard to locate folks who have! Smile
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5367 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Not necessarily. For guys like me that have dry hands, or simply see the value of routine hand maintenance, the quest for the perfect hand products isn't derailed by price, provided that the products lives up to their hype.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3983 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
It will be interesting to see what people have to say about it!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
There's the "farmer's lotion", otherwise known as the sweat alongside your nose. I use Corn Husker's and it works for me, but for maintenance use, I use Gold Bond Healing Lotion. I drink plenty of iced tea during the day, so I'm well hydrated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » What's Your Solution for Dry Hands In Card Work? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL