The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Does anyone know who the originator of this is? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
WeiserSide1
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
512 Posts

Profile of WeiserSide1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEFjk1kfg......a_player

Posted: May 2, 2011 6:08pm
I am looking to have one of these made...I already contacted Bill Smith(who basically knows everything)..he said he has never seen it b4..so I thought I'd ask the Café b4 I took it to a diff. builder
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3392 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Bill could probably make the base a lot more deceptive. It's probably a multi-generation removed knockoff.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
WeiserSide1
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
512 Posts

Profile of WeiserSide1
I was thinking of having it done by Tim Clothier.

Posted: May 2, 2011 6:23pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJ_qFxrKvc
yunke also performs this
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Well Bill Smith should have asked his source in Europe -this guy knows(almost)everything about illusions!
I've asked him and this illusion is called "Iron" and you find it in Tim Clothiers Advanced Illusion Projects book, page 115-132.
The rights to this illusion are included if you buy the book.
Tim Clothier is an excellent choice to have this build since he invented this illusion ;-)
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3392 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 18:23, WeiserSide1 wrote:
yunke also performs this

This one is built better.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 18:39, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 18:23, WeiserSide1 wrote:
yunke also performs this

This one is built better.

And both are, presentation-wise, fairly similar and somewhat dull, in my opinion. Could use some dressing up, plotwise; a few ideas come to mind already, if someone would take the time to iron the wrinkles out...
;)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
I have seen it on some FISM tape I have at home. Likely none of thse 2 are the originators, and they are als probably knocking-off the original. I might be wrong, though.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
WeiserSide1
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
512 Posts

Profile of WeiserSide1
So I just got off the phone with tim...he is the builder and he has the plans and rights for sale in his book...both of those illusions are not knock-offs...if they purchased the book
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1392 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I have to say that I've seen better illusions... and this one could do with FAR more plot and more interesting presentation...

if you're going to do an ironing illusion... neither of these routines do it justice in any way whatsoever... and in both cases.. the re-appearance makes no sense at all... and does a good amount to give the solution to the effect a boost.

The basis of the effect is a great idea... but as is the case with many illusionists who think that waving a cloth around is "presentation"... it could use some more thought.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2258 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 20:44, makeupguy wrote:
The basis of the effect is a great idea... but as is the case with many illusionists who think that waving a cloth around is "presentation"... it could use some more thought.

Great points. Fun idea, weak execution. Why not just take the ironing premise and create a better method/effect?
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 19:57, Fábio DeRose wrote:
I have seen it on some FISM tape I have at home. Likely none of thse 2 are the originators, and they are als probably knocking-off the original. I might be wrong, though.

Why accusing someone of knocking-off without being sure? ... Iron was performed at FISM Beijing 2009 but was YUNKE
who performed this effect. http://youtu.be/WFpgsw6A6Vs (see 0:38)
Please, before accusing someone, make sure... just don't say "well, perhaps I'm wrong", the damage is already done.

Of course, this effect is not a creation from Yunke nor Kharbanda. There are many other magicians who perform.

As noted above, this effect is originally from Tim Clothier who published it in 2005. Tim in his book offers an entirely different method for vanishing the girl, but this main method is impractical for "every day stages". As a "bonus" Tim offers another basic design that makes it easyer to present in all conditions (although Clothier himself states that he prefers the first method opposite to the second normal "B").

Both performances shown here use the "B" method, but in justice it must be said that Yunke's prop is made ​​almost exactly according to design specifications from "B" Clothier's method, but Kharbanda's one is not so deceptive.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
What I want to know is where I can get an iron big enough to press a t-shirt with one swipe - like the first guy had. Think of the time you could save on laundry day!

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22139 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I must say this is a wonderful really different illusion. So much more interesting then the slice and dice type of illusions.

He should have included a full size flat cut-out picture of the girl after the ironing flat. It would have added a little humor to the illusion. All rights reserved for that idea.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of msmaster
I also like the premise, but find most illusionists are talentless performers who do nothing more than show props built with some clever carpentry. Where are the performers who do illusions with some emotional, intellectual, or comedic content?
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1440 Posts

Profile of JNeal
This is a funny idea ...although a bit misogynistic. Funny when she re appeared her clothes still didn't look any better pressed!
Jneal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Concerning "He should have included a full size flat cut-out picture of the girl after the ironing flat. It would have added a little humor to the illusion" - this is exactly what Raphael does (a great comedy magician/illusionist from Belgium). He also has lot's of other gags and a great finale that makes sense. anyway, great minds think alike
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2258 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-05-03 19:00, JNeal wrote:
This is a funny idea ...although a bit misogynistic. Funny when she re appeared her clothes still didn't look any better pressed!
Jneal

lol.. once again proving the point that magic is seldom practical.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I love Tim's stuff but I guess my issue here would be that the table and stand are SO thin that it draws more attention to the method.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-05-03 19:29, tristanmagic wrote:
Concerning "He should have included a full size flat cut-out picture of the girl after the ironing flat. It would have added a little humor to the illusion" - this is exactly what Raphael does (a great comedy magician/illusionist from Belgium). He also has lot's of other gags and a great finale that makes sense. anyway, great minds think alike

Yes... but so do the feeble ones.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Hector
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Hector
Well... This indian illusionist is obviously copying presentation, ideas and movements from Yunke... And Chris, I think that you're right just on the indian example. The original Tim's design, the one that Yunke is using is so thin that I think it works perfectly for the lay audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Does anyone know who the originator of this is? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL