The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Interesting show in NYC (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Has anyone seen or experienced this? I got a ticket and it sounds like a lot of fun and right up the alley of bizarrists:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/theate......ses.html
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
Really? He only has......
763 Posts

Profile of Matthew St. Cyr
Looks really interesting!
The Wonder Lies In The Dark Between The Stars. . .
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4194 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Illusioneer saw it last night and loved it.
I am getting tickets.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2902 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I will be seeing it in the next few weeks. The form of the show is something that could be great for a bizarrist's theater show. Imagine a site specific production that is an evening wondering the halls of one of the buildings at Miskatonic University.
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Todd,

I will be seeing Play Dead on May 15 at your afternoon show. I am really looking forward to it and would like to meet you if possible.
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
714 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
THIS SHOW IS A MUST if you are in the NYC area!!! I left absolutely speechless...

While I did not see it as a "show" per se - it is one of the most breathtaking pieces of theatre I've been able to experience with some of the most innovative use of spacial relationships I've ever seen. I've been listening to Bernard Herrmann scores all day since.

It does go off on its own little tangents here and there but it would be hard for me to say that they were self indulgent. Some things will make you say "What in the HELL were they thinking?" and - you know - that's exactly what they want. Come alone. Wear your walking shoes. Its going to be a bumpy ride; that is, if you're in just the right place at the exact right time to witness it.

I'm not going to lie - $80 for a ticket is no easy jump for me to make with college loans and whatnot. I'm wholeheartedly glad I took the jump as I feel this is theatre that my mind will wander back to time and time again. I only wish I could have seen Punchdrunk's treatise on FAUSTUS and THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH prior.

It is a shame Roth and Chelman couldn't play inside the confines of the McKittrick for a few hours. I'm sure we'd be seeing some goodies coming from them soon afterwards.

Todd, Paul, and Eddie, I can't wait to hear your thoughts! In fact - let me sell some organs. I WANNA COME TOO!

PS - Todd, do you take organs on consignment? Just for backups? Smile
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
This looks mind-altering. Anyone have the time to do a more detailed review? Or, is it just too interactive to review objectively?
Either way, I want to go. Is it only in NY, or touring?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
714 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Wizard,

The reason one couldn't (and ultimately shouldn't) do an in depth review is two-fold. At least to me.

1) Each person's experience is COMPLETELY different than another person's. This is an immersive, self-guided personal tour. There is no talking. There are no cell phones. You are masked. You are anonymous. You are allowed to be a voyeur for 3 hours and only you can tell yourself when you've had enough. You can choose to follow the "characters" around or you can simply cavity search each of the 90 rooms that are laden with books, patient logs, diaries, police records, photographs, and trinkets.

2) Why would you want to ruin all of the FUN!?!?! Isn't that what its all about?

As far as I know - this will not be touring. This was brought to NYC from Boston's American Reperatory Theatre when a wealthy producer took in their FAUSTUS piece while in the UK and subsidized their efforts in NYC. The best way to think about this is amazing installation art. When its gone....all you have left are your memories. And after time - you can't even trust those. The plot thickens...fade to black.
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thanks illusioneer. I always enjoy your insightful comments.

No fun-ruining here my friend. Yours is the answer I expected, and eluded to. Just needed to be sure.
It sounds completely awesome, and I'm frustrated I won't be in NY in time to see it. It truly sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime event.

I love the direction a lot of theater, art, and media in general is going with "open-world" experiences and explorations. I would argue it stemmed from computers, and even gaming, where people are becoming used to controlling their own environments. I wonder how magic will be affected.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Wizard,

You can see more reviews. If you go to sleepnomoreny.com they have a link to reviews. The more I read the more excited I got about the show. I am really looking forward to it. I remember reading somewhere that it was compared to a video game, so you are on the mark.

Illusioneer-

Thanks for your insight. Looking forward to seeing you again as well. I had no clue they had done a take on Poe. That would have been really interesting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Interesting show in NYC (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL