We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My New Car (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VeryKeen
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of VeryKeen
Hi,
My mum just bought me a new car. I have been into cars for a long time and recently bought a book all about them.
I've also been watching youtube videos of some really good drivers but haven't actually had any driving lessons myself (I'm not old enough yet.)
Yesterday, I managed to get it started and put it into first gear (it's a stick-shift.) So, now I have one foot on the clutch and the other foot moving up and down on the gas pedal which makes a cool noise but it's not going anywhere!
Where did I go wrong? What do I do next?
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Can we make this a sticky? Smile
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
I thunk, therefore I erm...
177 Posts

Profile of edwardsausagefingers
Get out and walk!

Incidentally, that was an old school friend's hilarious catchphrase whenever he farted. True story.
Mister Boston
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Mister Boston
I hate to laugh because I'm guilty. But I did anyway.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-04 08:29, VeryKeen wrote:
Hi,
My mum just bought me a new car. I have been into cars for a long time and recently bought a book all about them.
I've also been watching youtube videos of some really good drivers but haven't actually had any driving lessons myself (I'm not old enough yet.)
Yesterday, I managed to get it started and put it into first gear (it's a stick-shift.) So, now I have one foot on the clutch and the other foot moving up and down on the gas pedal which makes a cool noise but it's not going anywhere!
Where did I go wrong? What do I do next?

Good point good point. I have said it for years. Had you taken the time and effort to actually have someone teach you how to drive you would have noticed that you have to remove the emergency break prior to trying to move. Maybe you have to let out the clutch too.

While it seems pretty easy when you watch someone who has done it for so many years, there is really a heck of a lot more going on that it may appear at first glance.

Good thing though as you didn't get out in traffic and put yourself in a position where you could really hurt people!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I learnt to drive the weekend before I was due to begin my first job. I decided the best way to do it was to drive to Fermanagh (a distance of 200 miles over country roads). At the end of the trip I would know how to drive or be dead.

I drove forty miles and stopped for petrol. Climbing back into the car I touched the lever that collapses the seat, and the seat promptly fell back. Not being a driver, I assumed it was broken, so drove the next 160 miles sitting very straight with nothing against my back.

Now I know what most of the buttons and knobs do, but I have to say I am a big fan of just going out and doing it. Its up to the other guys to get out of your way.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Theres a pattern going on here Tony!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10223 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Tony, it appears you don't ever learn anything properly or with any structure or guidance, you just seem to jump in and hope for the best. You're quite lucky as this can be dangerous. It makes one question how good you are and how well you drive?
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
VeryKeen,
You've done so well to get this far. Many people experience the same difficulties as you at first. Don't give up.
I don't know the first thing about you, your mom, or your car but I'm sure a few people will try their best to talk you through it here on the forum.
First, I have a couple of questions to ask you in return:
1. What is in front of the car? I mean, is there any person or object obstructing your path?
2. Do you have the use of both eyes? Not a biggie if you don't, just thought it might help us to help you, if we knew...

LOL
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Go get a License.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I think I'm spotting a pattern in my life. My first boxing fight was when I passed a sign announcing a fight night in college, and I walked in and blagged my way into the ring. I was knocked four times in the first round, and four times in the second. I was so far gone when the ref stopped the fight, I thought I had won.

But I did win my second fight. And my car seat hasn't broken in years. So I'm not worried.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My New Car (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL