The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Product Review from World Magic Shop » » Wizard Product Review 50 - 4-5-2011: (Concept 7, Sugar High, Flipper Card, Double Back) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I was glad you guys gave Double Back a good score because it consistantly gets the best reactions of almost anything I do. People are really amazed by it. I was a bit disapointed with your demo as I found it a bit disrespectful and certainly not done with the same feeling as other products you give such a good score to. As far as the gimmick wearing out, it's very easy to make new gimmicks yourself with a few common gaffed cards.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
And while we're at it--Craig--it's the Last trick of Dr. Jacob Daley, not Bro. Hamman. Just keeping things real.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Stapper
View Profile
New user
the netherlands
90 Posts

Profile of Stapper
Wy shoud I use 'double back' instad of 'the last tric of Dr JAcob Daley?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
With Double Back, you can actually show the cards in your hands AFTER you've placed the two in the spectator's hands, and then do the change. It's a strong routine (when performed well without all the unnecessary banter....) Dean Dill showed it to me a year or so ago and he loves it.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1701 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I've had a few people get in touch and comment on the 'performance' of Double Back. Glad I wasn't the only one to notice.

STapper, why Double Back instead of DDLT? As Andrew said, you can show the two cards in your hands a moment before they change to the ones they think are on the table/on their hand. Also, because of the cards used, the presentation is very different which is what really makes the whole thing. Unfortunately, this aspect was lost in the review. Tricks are not just about the effect but about the premise and routining as well. Even something really visual or clever may not actually be very good to perform for people.

Andrew, you're lucky to have seen Dill do it. It says something when he calls it his favourite packet trick of all time!
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Dean was very excited about this when he showed it, Jon - in fact I think I was the only one in the shop at the time and he was practically jumping up and down. The last time I'd seen him this enthusiastic about a trick was with 'WOW' which I also immediately picked up. I'm happy to have had him introduce Double Back to me Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Excellent as always!

Craig, you really must let Matthew speak and tell us his wisdom and not talk all over him. He is the star of the show after all!

:lol:
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1320 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-05-07 13:49, Jon Allen wrote:
I've had a few people get in touch and comment on the 'performance' of Double Back. Glad I wasn't the only one to notice.

STapper, why Double Back instead of DDLT? As Andrew said, you can show the two cards in your hands a moment before they change to the ones they think are on the table/on their hand. Also, because of the cards used, the presentation is very different which is what really makes the whole thing. Unfortunately, this aspect was lost in the review. Tricks are not just about the effect but about the premise and routining as well. Even something really visual or clever may not actually be very good to perform for people.

Andrew, you're lucky to have seen Dill do it. It says something when he calls it his favourite packet trick of all time!


Hi Jon.

Thanks for your comments, I thought I would try to address the issues you raised in your most recent post. 

Firstly I fail to see why you are upset with my 'performance'. The WPR is first and foremost an entertainment show - we have fun with the effects we perform. However at the end of the day from a technical point of view I think I performed the routine just fine. We also awarded it worker of the week and gave it a very high rating. Your effect was featured and showcased to our viewers and still your unhappy. You say unless the effect is performed a certain way then it's not effective. Surely your not suggesting that everyone should just copy the way you do things - because I chose to have fun with the effect I ruined it - is that what your saying?

I was warned by fellow performers not to bother trying to perform one of the 'great' Jon Allen's effects - to be honest I wish I'd listened.

Craig
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1320 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 16:31, Curtis Kam wrote:
And while we're at it--Craig--it's the Last trick of Dr. Jacob Daley, not Bro. Hamman. Just keeping things real.


Thanks Curtis!

I knew the second I finished the show I got it wrong, I just had a mental blank!

Thanks for helping me out!!!!

Craig
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1320 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-05-05 19:10, Nat wrote:
Always fun and information and helpful...when will we get the best and worst of 2010? and later, 2011?

Quote:
On 2011-05-04 09:25, Korhan wrote:
New episode is up!!

Link to show - Click Here!



There is something we are planning in the not to distant future - watch this space!

Craig
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1320 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 01:16, rockwall wrote:
So I did a search on the Café for Sugar High and found this post:

Click Here!

It's a 2003 review from Steve talking about Chris Randall's SWEET DVD which includes 15 tricks, including Sugar High! So, what's the difference between Sugar High on the Sweet DVD and the 1 trick Sugar High DVD???


Good question. This trick is TOTALLY different. He's really thought about the effect and made it a real worker compared to the original idea. I've tried this out now and he's gone as well as I thought it would!

Craig
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1701 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On 2011-05-08 19:04, Craig Petty wrote:
Hi Jon.

Thanks for your comments, I thought I would try to address the issues you raised in your most recent post. 

Firstly I fail to see why you are upset with my 'performance'. The WPR is first and foremost an entertainment show - we have fun with the effects we perform. However at the end of the day from a technical point of view I think I performed the routine just fine. We also awarded it worker of the week and gave it a very high rating. Your effect was featured and showcased to our viewers and still your unhappy. You say unless the effect is performed a certain way then it's not effective. Surely your not suggesting that everyone should just copy the way you do things - because I chose to have fun with the effect I ruined it - is that what your saying?

I was warned by fellow performers not to bother trying to perform one of the 'great' Jon Allen's effects - to be honest I wish I'd listened.

Craig


Hi Craig,

Someone on here mentioned the unnecessary banter while another found it disrespectful. I'm assuming you will take on board their comments as well as mine? I have no problem with the reviews being an entertainment show though even reality show judges only make jibes either before or after a performance. There is a lot of banter between you and David but not so much when you are performing something so the viewers can get a good idea of what the routine/effect or presentation is.

I never said that unless it is performed in a certain way it is effective and in no way do I suggest people simply copy what I do with an effect. In fact I tell people that if it ain't broke... break it! What I said is "Tricks are not just about the effect but about the premise and routining as well. " This means that however you want to present something, make sure you do it well. As was pointed out by others, there seemed a bit too much that distracted away from your (nicely handled) performance.

If you were warned by others, that would seem a very strange thing to suggest!

I look forward to the opportunity of having you review some of my future products.

Regards,
Jon
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of dp
Hi Jon,

I don’t believe, Craig or I may jibes in relation to the product although your reality show metaphor seems to suggest this. All we do is open magic discuss it and have a laugh. We have never said it is important, anyone should listen and we don’t want any responsibility to follow ‘reality show’ rules.

We are just mates having a look at magic tricks and having a laugh.
I am sorry if the review did not meet your expatiations Jon however ‘unnecessary banter and being disrespectful’ is part of who we are when the mood take us.

Maybe you should watch the show again Jon and try focusing on the positives. Trust me when I say, it makes you a better person. Lol

Dave
Close Up Magician & Illusionist - David Penn

Search The Wizard Product Review at http://www.worldmagicshop.com
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1701 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi David,

I never said any jibes were aimed at the product.

Surely it is the responsibility of reviewers to show the products in the best possible light... or is that wrong?

Maybe you should try focusing on being respectful. Trust me when I say it makes you a better person Smile

Regards,
Jon
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1320 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hi Jon,

I can't see how you think that we were being disrespectful. We raved about your destination box, Experience and told everyone what a creative performer we think you are. We then gave Double Back 'Worker of the Week' and suggested everyone should buy it. Yes we had fun with our review but that's what we do - we don't take ourselves or our reviews seriously.  We always have a laugh but also tell people our honest opinion. I honestly think Double Back is great.

I never thought I would see that day when the recipient of 'Worker of the Week' would be unhappy that we were disrespecting him. This is a first!

Craig
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
I fail to see why two people giving their opinion via a video medium is any different to anyone on here giving their opinion. It's just an opinion and everyone is free to take it or leave it.

Why do people think that their opinion should be singled out and attacked if their opinion isn't a glowing recommendation to everything featured? And why is it normally the tricks inventor that normally complains the most?

We (the viewers of the said product reviews) don't want a stuffy in depth critique, we want a bit of fun and a starting point for further discussion. People are free to agree or disagree with the Dynamic Duo (and Matt) but they shouldn't be attacked for giving their opinions as they see fit. And it comes across as very sour grapes when it's the products owner who does the protesting.

Lighten up and enjoy Wednesdays. I know it cheers me up and brightens my week. And I'm still free to agree and/or disagree with what they think; no one is being forced.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
I don't know, as I actually had never heard of Double Back until I saw it on the WPR and watched Craig perform it.
After I watched it performed by Craig I ordered it the very same day. Hmm....it would seem as though Craig must have done something right! Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
magicmanager
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of magicmanager
Hey Johannes Lindrupsen,

Wow.....we really got beat up with the Concept 7 review (Craig gave us a 1% OUCH!), but the product did sell out in a little over a week and it will be about a month before more get back into stock at your favorite magic dealer.

Most people can't understand that it's a pre-set web levitation and that it took TWO of my previous inventions to actually make this effect possible. Please be assured that many magicians do like this effect and please look FAR beyond our simple trailer........I can see some on this thread just don't like it........an I completely respect most opinions (maybe not the "asinine" comment as this is just not reasonable and disrespectful across the board) as this will NOT be for most magicians.

This is a new concept and when you fully understand the methods, you can used this for stage, parlor, haunted houses, seances, and other outdoor and indoor venues......remember, breaking the IT after the preformance (if you need to) is always ok because we provide you with loads of refills. This is definielty a niche effect and we did not intend to have a big following on this......the spectator reactions are always excellent and especially when it performed on a clear glass table and where the spectator places their personal dollar bill on the table and where the magician never touches it (we did not show this, but it's really cool!)! Yes, the spectator can get really close to the table and this is not understood by Craig (1% vote) and David (11% vote) :/> Thanks for your forward thinking on our pre-set web levitation and we really appreciate your interest!

All the best,

Jim Rosenbaum - RosenGadgets
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Another happy viewer! Smile
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1320 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-05-09 15:47, magicmanager wrote:
Hey Johannes Lindrupsen,

Wow.....we really got beat up with the Concept 7 review (Craig gave us a 1% OUCH!), but the product did sell out in a little over a week and it will be about a month before more get back into stock at your favorite magic dealer.

Most people can't understand that it's a pre-set web levitation and that it took TWO of my previous inventions to actually make this effect possible. Please be assured that many magicians do like this effect and please look FAR beyond our simple trailer........I can see some on this thread just don't like it........an I completely respect most opinions (maybe not the "asinine" comment as this is just not reasonable and disrespectful across the board) as this will NOT be for most magicians.

This is a new concept and when you fully understand the methods, you can used this for stage, parlor, haunted houses, seances, and other outdoor and indoor venues......remember, breaking the IT after the preformance (if you need to) is always ok because we provide you with loads of refills. This is definielty a niche effect and we did not intend to have a big following on this......the spectator reactions are always excellent and especially when it performed on a clear glass table and where the spectator places their personal dollar bill on the table and where the magician never touches it (we did not show this, but it's really cool!)! Yes, the spectator can get really close to the table and this is not understood by Craig (1% vote) and David (11% vote) :/> Thanks for your forward thinking on our pre-set web levitation and we really appreciate your interest!

All the best,

Jim Rosenbaum - RosenGadgets


Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, it's only our opinion and in no way does that make it right. Having said that like I said in the review I have no idea who this is aimed at.

The effect is very impractical and is it really that much stronger in the eyes of the spectator? I don't think it is especially when you consider the extra effort you have to go to in order to work it. You say I don't understand that the spectator can get close to the table. I have two questions, firstly why were all the spectators positioned so far back in the performance and not allowed to come forward (even though you could see they want to) secondly if I saw a bill placed on a table and levitated and then dropped again I would want to examine the table where the bill was placed. What would happen if I did this Jim because I think the performer would be screwed. And the way the table is set up it's not as if you could just snap the thread.

Like I said I cannot see who this trick is aimed at. I think a better opinion would have been to sell all the really cool gimmicks included in a kit and include Concept 7 as a bonus effect. But that's only my opinion - what do I know

Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Product Review from World Magic Shop » » Wizard Product Review 50 - 4-5-2011: (Concept 7, Sugar High, Flipper Card, Double Back) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL