The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » New Wave Prediction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Does anyone have or remember this older effect? I found it in a drawer - It appears to use R and S for some cards, with alternate backs. I can't find instructions or anything on Google.

Thanks!

BRETT
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
Send me a direct email address & I will send you the instructions next week. It is a very cool & little known effect. Mike
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
351 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Brett

Sent you a PM
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The "trickshop.com" site is currently offering for only a few dollars, a very interesting e-book by Joe Berg and Al Aldini, "Rough Stuff," which includes instructions for making rough/smooth cards, and descriptions of a number of prepared decks, including the UltraMental Deck (usually known as the Invisible Deck), the Brainwave Deck, the Deckmaster, the Nostradamus Deck, Rasputin's Deck, and other applications. I think it is quite interesting.

Woland
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-05-07 12:15, Rudy wrote:
Brett

Sent you a PM

Thanks Rudy!!!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks to Rudy again for sending me the instructions. I finally figured out why I gave up on this gem 15+ years ago - some cards were missing! I added a few cards and voila - this is an awesome little trick.

My only critique (minor) would be in justifying why an alternate back matching prediction card is in the middle of the deck. I think the way to go here for those who own this is to announce at the outset that there is an odd prediction in the middle - thus a good reasoning for asking for the initial cut to be less than halfway down. I'm also trying to think of a better way to justify why the spec should ignore the court cards when making their selection. Still working on that BUT overall this got a big reaction both times I tried it yesterday. Winner! Fun to re-discover something after 15 years in the dreaded drawer Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-05-09 12:34, saysold1 wrote:
Thanks to Rudy again for sending me the instructions. I finally figured out why I gave up on this gem 15+ years ago - some cards were missing! I added a few cards and voila - this is an awesome little trick.

My only critique (minor) would be in justifying why an alternate back matching prediction card is in the middle of the deck. I think the way to go here for those who own this is to announce at the outset that there is an odd prediction in the middle - thus a good reasoning for asking for the initial cut to be less than halfway down. I'm also trying to think of a better way to justify why the spec should ignore the court cards when making their selection. Still working on that BUT overall this got a big reaction both times I tried it yesterday. Winner! Fun to re-discover something after 15 years in the dreaded drawer Smile

I got an idea today ob this - along these lines:

My routine talks about how every family has a so called "black sheep" - and that a deck of cards is like a family.

I mention that in the middle of the deck there is a black sheep to be found, which we will look for later.

The cards get get less than half, which get shuffled.

When they look through their shuffled card I suggest they try to locate the black sheep. The Court cards represent parents and relatives - so I suggest we ignore them and instead they should focus on which # card they feel is the black sheep.
TedLashley
View Profile
Regular user
El Campo, TX
197 Posts

Profile of TedLashley
Saysold1:
I think that's a great explanation! Thanks for sharing.

TED
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
351 Posts

Profile of Rudy
That is really good Brett, I like it.

Rudy
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks Rudy and Ted-

The patter mentioning that a deck of cards is "like a family" also works because I can then justify the non-choice of the royal cards - The Q-K-J are like the parents and Uncle, and the numbered cards are the kids.

I dunno - I have been getting great reactions with this trick and it is a cool way of using the R&S principal.
tomdeg
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of tomdeg
Yeah, I just rediscovered my "Mark Leveridge's Brainstormer" deck which I've had for years.
Luckily, I had the instructions packed away with it, (I never would have figured it out).
Awesome effect, really floors 'em.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2869 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
NWP sounds very intruiging, never heard of it!
Can you point out please who created it? Is this described in any book?

Thanks for any help!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
351 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Nicolino

New-Wave Prediction

By: Bob King

http://www.bobkingmagic.com

This came out around 1994-ish.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-06-05 05:31, Nicolino wrote:
NWP sounds very intruiging, never heard of it!
Can you point out please who created it? Is this described in any book?

Thanks for any help!

Yes this really is a nice little routine using the ID idea with a twist. Feel free to PM me if you need anything Felix.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Here is Bob King's full description of NWP from his site...

The only caveat I would say is that the description does NOT mention that the spectator is asked to remove the # of cards from the pile they cut off and sets them aside based on the card they "saw" (If they saw an eight they remove 8 cards - replacing the rest).

This in no way hurts this effect and I really love it - just wish that the "steak" is mentioned in these things more often... and not just the sizzle:

If you do any version of “Brainwave,” you must do New Wave Prediction. Picture doing the Brainwave effect without the spectator ever naming his card. That’s exactly what happens with this great effect.

After placing a blue-backed deck onto the table, you turn your back. Your helper cuts off some of the cards, shuffles them and then fans them, faces toward him. He now merely thinks of one of the cards he sees—no force! These cards are replaced onto the deck and you turn around. You spread the deck and a red-backed card is seen in the middle. This card is removed and handed to your helper (remember, he has not yet named his card). He may now name his card, or not. When he turns the card over, it proves to be the very card he is thinking of.

No one in the world, except him, knew the name of his mentally selected card. Remember, the card is removed from the deck and handed to him BEFORE IT IS NAMED! This is truly a miracle and one of the best effects we have ever developed. There is absolutely no sleight of hand, and as an added bonus, the trick resets itself automatically for the repeat. Yes! it may be repeated with a different mental selection. Complete with gimmicked Bicycle deck and manual.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2869 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Thanks for your PM, Brett!

I thought about the caveats mentioned above and the following ideas came to mind:
As explanation for not including the picture cards, you could say...

"Hey, I want you to challenge me - why don't you choose one of the number cards? The pictures card are simply too easy to project and also there are even more numbers in play then court cards!"

As for the counting, you sell it as prove for later verification:

"You merely thought of one of the cards in your mind - no one (not even the other spectators) will have any clue about your choice! So I'd ask you to simply remove the number of cards from the pile and set them aside based on your card, besides put one card with the corresponding suit on top of the pile, so everyone can later verify your selection! Until then - keep it well hidden!!"
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Great idea! I like the justification for the counting the cards off to the side as proof of the card.

Thanks Felix -
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
According to an adv, Jim Swain's 1992 book, "Don't Blink" has section entitled 'New Wave Prediction' under the Chapter, THE VERNON STRIP-OUT ADDITION. Does this refer to a version of Bob King', circa 1992, 'New Wave Prediction?' Or is Swain's discussion unrelated to the gaff deck that came with King's routine?
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I used to perform this. I lost the deck when I moved, and I really miss it.

I agree that some things in the procedure need to be justified, but the results are awesome.

Shoot, this was one of my favorite effects. Sure would like to get my hands on it, again.

BTW, I was a little dissapointed when I discovered that the ad descriptions of the effect were not quite veracious.

However, all that aside, it's still a great effect.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » New Wave Prediction (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL