The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Doc Steve (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Profile of christiancagigal
This evening, a lovely warm day on the S.F. Bay (which is usually cold and foggy) Dennfox, Balaram, rbellote (I hope I spelled that online ID correctly,) myself, and a couple of other non-cafe strange types will have the honor of meeting and hanging out with the good Doc Steve... A mysterious stranger who makes mysterious bones may even show up...but there is no promise of that.... Haven't heard from Jim Fassbinder of the SF Ghosthunt Walking Tour...he's probably working...teling ghost stories =)

But the rest of us get to meet Doc Steve! Are ya all jealous? I know you are!!! Smile!!!

Christian
"Besides the known and the unknown, what else is there?"-Harold Pinter
www.christiancagigal.com
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1931 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Jealous!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Guys, the honour is all mine!
I've just returned from cycling to Saucilito over the bridge, and then down to the Moscone centre, before going back to Fishermans Wharf. So if you're not sure what I look like, just pick the most sunburned sweaty Limey in SF!
I honestly can't wait to meet all you Strangers.
Steve
[
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
As I am somewhat known as a Bizarre Magician and a San Franciscan by my peers. And as I’d been in contact with Dr. Steve about his plans, well before his impending visit to our fair city…

I must say I am more offended, sad, than jealous, at this point in time. For what it’s worth, I suppose this solidifies one’s “friends and colleagues” true opinions.

…I suppose you remember the Evil Fairy who was the only Fairy to be snubbed with a “slip of the mind” and was not invited to Sleeping Beauty’s Christening?

Bro. Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Ah, that explains it… I was finally told all the details.

A band of local theatrical/story/bizarre magicians have formed what they are calling “The Strangers” I’d not heard a whisper about it, certainly not approached to participate.

The Dr. Steve celebration was, as I finally understand, exclusively for “The Strangers” so it now makes sense I was not in the loop.

It’s good to know that my reputation as “the most hated magician in San Francisco” seems to be intact… even it if does rather cancel out many opportunities for a social life.

So happy to have that misunderstanding all cleared up.
Walt
by Walt Anthony

christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Profile of christiancagigal
Walt,

I have been emailing you all day via my iPhone as I was running around today, going from my Temp day job on one side of town, to a friends film at a film festival on the other side of town, hanging with those film friends, then finally heading out to meet with Doc Steve. I've tried to communicate with you who to contact for details and eventually when and where to meet. I've apologized personally for the lateness of my emails but like I said, I've been running around today. I know you don't live so far away that getting to the meeting place would have been a burden for you, even if told close to the time we were meeting. Nob Hill to the Wharf isn't that long of a trek. It's not like it's SF to Walnut Creek. If you had chosen to either check those emails or bothered to reply at all, this would have been cleared up. You chose not to. And, I now have arrived home to read these posts on The Café with invocations of fairy tale villans and references to problems you had with other individuals 15 years ago that have nothing to do with anybody here, especially Doc Steve. And yet you were determined to implicate even him in some "scheme." I hope you have apologized to him, at least in private if not here in public where you did the implicating of this guest to our shores.

As for "The Strangers" and it's "exclusivity." We're a handful of close friends who have been hanging out together off and on for years. We like mentalism. We like bizarre. We hang out a few times a year. Sit. Fart around. Do some effects. Go home. That's it. And, we gave ourselves a goofy name. The "Strangers" has been kept small just so it never gets too big and political and we just want to keep things intimate.

One of the "Strangers" had been in contact with Doc separate from the rest of us....much like you were Walt....
That "Stranger" made his own plans with the good Doctor and invited the friends he knew and was in contact with.
The good Doctor innocently thought we were all coming together, you included. If you had continued making your own plans with the good Doctor, yourself Walt, he might have also thought that some of us were going to come with you too. But, from the lack of invitation on your part I don't get the impression that bringing any of us was a part of your plans. And, that's perfectly and genuinely fine, Walt. That truly is.

This was all rather innocent and benign. If you refuse to see it that way, well then....
I must point out to you Walt that there is Bizarre Magician in San Francisco who has been conducting his own get togethers a few times a year. It's a brunch. At a hotel in downtown. On Sundays. That is invite only....And, he alone decides who to invite.

From his own emails he says that he keeps the invites limited so as to keep the circle a,
"manageable size and keep the magical conversations stimulating and valuable." (Much like "The Strangers")
He also says...
"other than that it will be pretty informal." (Much like "The Strangers")

This Bizarrist intends no ill will or malice with those words (Much like "The Strangers")
And, nobody holds any ill will towards him in return.

There are lots of people this Bizarre Magician in San Francisco does not invite. Maybe it's because he doesn't consider them worth hanging out with? Maybe he hates them? Or...maybe ....just maybe.. a more rational explanation is that he's just not that close to the people he does not invite and so... he doesn't invite them. No harm. No foul. And, that's okay too.

I've said all I can say.
I'm deeply sorry all of this turned into some big brew-ha-ha. I only wished to share my excitement and joy and getting to meet a Brother from across the world and it became an "event".
I'm deeply sorry to you Walt for how this went down. I tried to do what I could do. It obviously wasn't enough. You will remain as angry as you feel you need to be and for as long as you need to be... and yes...that is okay too.

And, I'm deeply sorry to you Doc Steve, I hope this "event" hasn't spoiled your experience with us here in San Francisco. It was lovely to finally meet you in person.

Best to all,
Christian
"Besides the known and the unknown, what else is there?"-Harold Pinter
www.christiancagigal.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Hello Christian, thank you for your thoughts.

I am sorry you felt a part of this, and I apologize that you felt that. You simply posted on the Café, and I’m sorry you were put in the middle. The air was knocked out of me to see this in my backyard and not having a clue, I felt very forgotten and unwelcomed.

I opened your last email too late to get follow up on the information, and did not want to impose perhaps offending others. I have written Steve and apologized if he felt in any way part of this, he was of course not.

I did PM Dr. Steve, not to have a one-on-one , but offering to suggest hotels, restaurants, sites, things to do, anything else as local “tour guide” information. If he’d mentioned wanting a get together I’d have gotten the word spread as wide as possible.

Brunch invitations always said that if you know someone who should be there as a kindred spirit let me know and I’ll add them. I only monitor the list so brunches could be somewhat focused and have some value.

I am not angry, I am hurt. Maybe just bruised ego, maybe a desire to share with the few “good guys in magic” around here to grow together. I truly appreciate your post providing clearer information than I’d had.

Thanks, Walt
by Walt Anthony

docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
*hugs and kisses all round!*

All this for some Limey amateur - imagine if Burger came to town!!

Well I had a great evening - and even Mr Scratch popped in for a second, dropping off a long musty old box to Dennfox, with instructions to "make sure I knew the rules" or something...I not sure. I've been waving that bone around for a few hours now. Oddly these a pile of dead gulls outside my window, and the corridors are strangely silent....

I will post more about evening in a new thread later; suffice to say it was an honour & a privilege. Thank you all so much.
Steve
[
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
What a great honor to meet and play with Doc Steve on Fisherman Wharf no less. The honor is ours! What a kind, generous, and knowlegable guy Doc Steve is. Wish he lived in SF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Doc Steve (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL