The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fakini ball size (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Sindre
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Sindre
Thank you Smile

Posted: May 19, 2011 3:26am
(Quote wmhegbli:)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who cares about the ball size? These guys do, that is who!
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=10&17

They care about the size of the ball over good looking magic.
------------------------------------------

I can't find a web site for Fujisawa Mayuko. I cannot believe she does not have a web site with all her talent. I was hoping to marry her for the secret to her fantastic billiard ball routine. Just my luck, again!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill:
Please let me tell you that I absolutely do not care about the size of the ball over good looking magic! How do you know? You have not met me. You don’t know me so well that you can state my opinions.
I’m not saying that my opinion is that everyone should work with the biggest billiards possible. But personally, I feel that 2” billiards are more appropriate for me. One of the reasons is that I’ve gotten comments at the end of the show where some in the back of the venue, did not see what was going on.

But she had a fantastic act. And she had found the ball size that suits her, like Mr. Murphy said.

(Quote: Harry Murphy):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well then Bill they seem to miss the point entirely. I guess there is still a school of though that believes that the props are the magic.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, please don’t accuse me of believing that the props are the magic. That’s the opposite of what I think

I’m not writing this to argue. Just to clarify that what was written here is NOT true when it has to do with me.

The reason I’m saying me, and not the others in the thread I started, is that I do not want to say things about others that I don’t know anything about. It makes me sad, and takes my motivation away when people do this to me.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
Sindre Rian
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
721 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Chill man... chill..
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
Sindre
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Sindre
I'm not angry Smile I just don't want people to believe things about me that's not true. That's all.

Sindre
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5273 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Point taken. If the shoe does not fit don't wear it, if the shoe fits wear it. To some bigger is better, to others it about proportion. The smoothness of handling, the rhythm, beauty, and magic is a discussion that is separate from the props. My point is that the props in and of themselves do not make the magic. They may facilitate the magic or even get in the way of the magic.

If I was this young person getting ready for an important competition in six months (not two years), I would find a smooth white ball about the size I was already used to using. The change from golf ball style to smooth style would be a very easy transition. I probably wouldn’t go dramatically larger.

Clearly, if there was a shop with an assortment of ball sizes I’d try my routine with a number of different sizes and go with the one’s that worked with only a little additional effort.

I have seen a number of performers in real world, paid performances and I’ll say some of the best I’ve seen didn’t use large balls. That is not to say that none used large (greater than 2”) balls. The beauty of the routine had less to do with the size of the ball than the artist. A few (Levant’s for example) look more magical and beautiful with the huge balls used.

In the day I performed using a set of snooker balls with a shell made from another snooker ball. Today, given age and arthritis I can’t work with those heavy and cumbersome balls.

It is horses for courses I guess.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I never saw this thread as contrasting the value of ball size vs. good loooking magic. That is a silly contrast.

This is a thread about a young man, who is obviously aspiring to great things with his magic... entering Norwegien Championship Competitions and all. He wanted to upgrade from his golf balls to either 1.75" smooth balls or 2". He got a variety of feedback on both sides, which is what the Café is all about.

For me, I first purchased fakini golf balls. Then I wanted to upgrade and was in a quandry over this very same issue. What size should I upgrade to. I decided to go with 1.75". I laid down a lot of money, bought extra balls, color changes, and a flash four. About a year later, I was wishing I had gone larger. So, now I have refitted myself with 2". I think this is a common story, and I bet Sindre will be able to make his 2" routine look great.

Have fun Sindre and good luck...
From the Encouraging Magic of...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2849 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I've loved the MBB since I was a kid, and have played with various sizes and types over the years, even to making a few sets "from raw parts." I was getting really comfortable years ago with the German 45mm ones, so then I decided to try the 50mm ones (2"), but between the size of my hands and the surface finish, it didn't work all that well. You guys got me interested again, so I ordered a set of the Fakini 2" ones and so far I have no problem with them; the surface finish is great and I can hold four without my hand looking like Bela Lugosi's in "Dracula."

We'll see what happens... Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 12:06, George Ledo wrote:
... I can hold four without my hand looking like Bela Lugosi's in "Dracula."

The children of the night... what beautiful magic they make!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2849 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Another Dracula fan!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21638 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4964 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
From the audience's point of view, I don't think it matters whether you can hold you hand flat out with the balls inbetween the fingers or not. You're producing balls one way or another and placing them between the fingers for display. If your fingers are bent slightly at the end, so what. If the audience is going to say "what a terrible display, look at his fingers" then you're not performing the effect properly.

And while I'm not in the same league as all those mentioned above, I also use the 2" balls all the time and have for years. They show up much better on stage. The key is practice. You have to condition your fingers to accept the size. I learned by forcing the balls between my fingers while watching TV at night and just held them there as long as I could. Repeating that every night over and over loosened up my fingers and now it comes as second nature. I've gotten so used to the 2" size that if I try the routine with smaller balls, I almost drop them.
Where the magic begins
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
Alan Wakeling thought of the right hand simply as a rack to display the balls. The appearances were happening in his left hand.

Mark
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2849 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 14:04, wmhegbli wrote:
You mean like this.

Well, Bela's hand was quite a bit more dramatic, but this guy certainly doesn't look comfortable. Smile
www.georgefledo.net

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 19:23, George Ledo wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 14:04, wmhegbli wrote:
You mean like this.

Well, Bela's hand was quite a bit more dramatic, but this guy certainly doesn't look comfortable. Smile

I think that photo was a video capture shot of the girl from Japan... and to be honest, I don't think I've ever seen anyone more comfortable with a set of multiplying billiard balls. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2849 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Michael, I believe you're right... now that I went and saw the clip. She does look totally comfortable with them. Fantastic job. It's interesting how those white balls look so much more dramatic than the red ones. Ahhh, inspiration...
www.georgefledo.net

Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
White looks moe elegant. For some reason I think red balls just scream "MAGIC SHOOOOOP".
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Sindre
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Sindre
I also think that white is very elegant.
One other theory is that the white balls reflect more light, which makes them look more dominating.

Sindre.

(My fakinis arrived in Norway today. Now I just have to wait for the customs to charge me more money. I cant wait. For the balls that is, not the extra charge)

Posted: May 28, 2011 7:16pm
I recieved the fakinis today, and I love them!

It's no problem at all to do the finger rolling and the Alexander ball roll. Also the finger display was ok to do.
I started playing with them, and before I knew it, 3 1/2 hours had passed.
I'll try to post a video when I have a routine.

Sindre
Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
Billiard Balls; in my opinion, should not be performed with anything smaller than 2". I started with 1 3/4's and at first they were a stretch, but I moved on. I went to 2's - 2 1/8's and now 2 1/4's. I have got to the point where I think the 2 1/4" might be slightly large (only for the one ball moves) however, with the right cover I am confident I will be able to get them to work. To train my hands to get used to them I bought actual billiard balls and used them for a week, the balls then felt as light as a feather. I personally can't see any reason why someone won't use 2" balls (when you use 2 1/4, 2" look tiny and you can do any move!!!).

To put this in perspective I have small hands e.g. my middle finger is 8.5cm (3 1/4") and my hand is only 3 1/2" wide at it's widest point.

Levent's DVD sums it up best, stop settling and push yourself. Its the biggest balls you can handle............... after months of practise.

Sam
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 12:13, Fábio DeRose wrote:
White looks moe elegant. For some reason I think red balls just scream "MAGIC SHOOOOOP".

I use Fakini whites, but if they came in a true red I would get those, because for me, red just screams "snooker ball" which is what I WISH I could use! I'll admit though, white shows up better from a distance.
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
SINDRE...

If you can afford to, consider getting a set of both (GASP!) the 2" and the 1.75" balls.

I realize that this may be a costly proposition for you, but you seem serious about ball manipulation, so you might consider it.

You can practice with the 2" first, then switch to the 1.75", which will seem much easier by comparison. Then compete with whatever you feel confident with.

The Fakinis hold their value well, so if you end up selling one set or the other you should not be out much money.

Maybe someone here in the forum has a set of one or the other that they would like to sell.

I bought an older set of 2" rubber balls on the big auction site for not much money. They are actually great, but a bit slippery compared to fakinis. The sh***s are huge! I practice with them as well as my 1.75" fakinis. After using them I think that I may indeed be able to go for a set of 2" fakinis too. My point here being, if you can get your hands on any kind of 2" ball to practice with do so...that can help you decide on the best size for you.
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
tecumilic
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tecumilic
For anyone else reading this looking to go up in size in my opinion if you can classic palm the ball and put 4 balls between your fingers then that ball is the right size for some routines. If you want to do crazy shimada 1 to 4 moves then the smaller sizes are probably the right size unless you are a GIANT. Most routines that I have seen really only use the classic palm grip to conceal,produce,vanish. The palm I mean id where you pinch the ball,like the classic palm you do whith coins.

I bought the 1.7 bond lee balls and after a while I started to thinck that they looked small in my hands so I experimented whith larger balls. I picked up some dekorative balls that I found in my house they measure about 2.25 and I can classic palm that ball and hold 4 balls between my fingers but I cannot hold the balls very comfortably even though it is possible so 2 inch balls are probably the right size for me. My hands are small I have skinny fingers buy kind of long fingers and my hand is a bit wider then 7 centimeters straight across the palm from the webbing of the thumb straight down. So this gives me a cover that is a little more than 2cm bigger then the ball to cover the ball and it works even though angles are difficult. Whith the dekorative balls I have that are about 2.25 I could pull it of I am going to go for 2 inch bond lee balls becuse otherwise I would have to buy and track down fakini balls and that would be too expensive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fakini ball size (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL