The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Excellent Review of Criss Angel`s ``Magic`` Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Video review halfway down the page...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-carr/......891.html
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2258 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Lol... technically not an excellent review but certainly an accurate one.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I watched this a few days ago. He did make some very good points.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I enjoyed that very much. Yes, he does make some good points.

Thanks, Harv.

Ron
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2258 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
On TMZ tonight, they were discussing Miley Cyrus's Mom having to large "wing" tattoos on her back. The quote was... "It just looks really, really trashy. Can you imagine how awsome those wing tattoos are going to look in about 15 years?" The response? "Yeah, she'll just look like a washed up, run down, no talent angel... you know... like this guy"... then they cut to a shot of Cris Angel. No more need be said.
Ray Pierce
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I went and saw the show because we got free tickets. Even so I contacted a lawyer to see who I could sue to get back that time of my life. I was not disapointed as I did not expect much. I thought the comedian he uses was a better part of the show, but even he got inappropriate and ruined that for me.

I just do not understand what makes him keep doing what he is doing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
Everyone here thinks Angel sucks, including me, but someone must like him or he wouldn't be where he is and have stayed there this length of time.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2258 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
There are all types... that's about all I can say! His on stage persona (if not actually the true him) is at the very least a specific choice he makes. I guess some people are attracted to that. He got an amazing break when Cirque selected him for this 10 year run. It was too late for them when they realized the error of their ways. As long as anyone can convice people to pay their money to see the show once... it doesn't matter how bad the show is, they have your money. Most everyone living in Vegas knows how bad the show is. Many around the globe do at this point. The Yelp reviews constantly say "I wish I woud have read the reviews before I paid for the tickets". It doesn't matter. Bad movies are the same way. They realize the film stinks, then recut the trailer to make it seem more deceptively appealing. How many bad films have you seen where you wondered how it could be any more different than the trailer? Would you have gone to the film if you realized how lame it was? There is a small set who would have... and a lot more that wouldn't. It doesn't matter, they have your money. Is that any way to do business? Not for me or most reputable people that take any pride in their product. Is it done all the time? Of course.
Ray Pierce
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
To some, bad taste is what entertainment is all about. John Waters used to say "...if someone vomits watching one of my films, it's like getting a standing oivation." But one must remember there is such a thing as good bad taste and bad bad taste. To understand bad taste one must have good taste. Good bad taste can be creatively nauseating but must, at the same time appeal to the especially twisted sense of humor, which is anything but universal. However, when it comes to Angel, we're looking at bad bad taste that's not very stylish, original or intentially funny. Which still leaves us with the enigma of how he is where he is and has stayed there...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is not about bad taste, but more about just a bad show. He is consistantly in the 10 worst things to do in Vegas list. Right between being rolled by a hooker and caught in a liquor store hold up.

The thing he has is an amazing contract writer. Cirque' has all but backed away from the deal. I believe it is more the Luxor that is holding them to it.

The room is amazing I have to say. It looks incredible. I wish someone would tackle the guy though. I can't imagine even he thinks it is a good show. Seriously. But then again one mans trash and all that.

Good on him for keeping going. Love it or hate it, he is going. I guess this is his bottom line. It would be mine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
Toluca Lake CA
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Almost went to it the last time I was there for free. Glad I didn't waist my time.

But the funny thing is when I talked to a few people that worked at the luxor they didn't even recommend it. They said it was much better to go see any other show than this one.
So I thought it cant be that bad, so I waited to talk to someone that came out of the show after it was done to see what they would say about it, if it was really that bad. My lucky day, A older lady actually walked out of the show early, almost half way though, So I got the courage up to ask here why she was leaving the show early. Here response was not what I had expected. She went on about how much of a hack he was and how he was exposing the art and giving it a bad name, and she just could not stand another second of her son making a fool out of himself.
Ok So that didn't actually happen, but the first part was true that the people that did work there did not recommend that show. Very sad!
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2258 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I went to the show and I fully believe every magician must as well... because hopefuly we can all learn valuable lessons from it.

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." - Edmond Burke
Ray Pierce
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
Toluca Lake CA
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Great Quote Ray! Totally Agree with you. I will actually have to go and see the show just for that reason. Then again maybe that's why everyone else goes, just to see how bad it really is.
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
We were just in Las Vegas and we go see a magician each visit (I have a 13 year old daughter and we do some magic together.) I've heard how bad this show is from the beginning. The amazing thing is that word is out there everywhere. From the 4Tix booth people, to dealers at the tables, to servers in restaurants. It wins the prize as the worst Cirque show AND the worse magic show in town. We rank the shows we've seen this way:

Mac King--an easy number one

Steve Wyrick (!)--right before he filed for BK, it was a good show with lots of personality in it

Rick Thomas--good show, but his constant bowing to encourage applause was a bit of a turn off

Nathan Burton--surprisingly flat, I had read, and it's true, one box trick after another--she's in the box, he's in the box, the box is empty, I'm over here--etc. Big non-box trick--the vanishing beer bottle!

Have not seen P&T--never really liked them--too smarmy, but everyone says we should go. Have not seen David C.--everyone says he's just going through the motions. Saw Sig & Roy about 15 years ago. Certainly a very accomplished show that could fill a large auditorium. Much harder for a magic show to do that these days. Also went to Caesar's Magic Empire or whatever it was called many years ago--hated it.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
P&T have a great live show. Very little smarminess.
Does hypnotism count? Because there is at least one terrible stage hypnotist in Vegas who gets way too much publicity in my opinion.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2258 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 16:58, The Old Man wrote:
Mac King--an easy number one
Steve Wyrick (!)--right before he filed for BK, it was a good show with lots of personality in it
Rick Thomas--good show, but his constant bowing to encourage applause was a bit of a turn off
Nathan Burton--surprisingly flat, I had read, and it's true, one box trick after another--she's in the box, he's in the box, the box is empty, I'm over here--etc. Big non-box trick--the vanishing beer bottle!
Have not seen P&T--never really liked them--too smarmy, but everyone says we should go. Have not seen David C.--everyone says he's just going through the motions.

Thank you for posting your thoughts... lol...uh... can I call you "Old"? It's always great to get additional views on what the shows are like.

I think this points out a great issue which is likability. Mac has it. Steve must as well. Rick is a strong act and certainly a total pro but might come off a little cold and detached after so long. Nathan is very clever but again, might not have the personality or charisma to sustain a full show. It takes a lot more than props and I see this weakness over and over.

P&T are certainly pros and have the experience, personality and charisma to deliver on many fronts. You might be surprised seeing them live. I'm guessing it might hook you in spite of your pre conceptions.

David (even when he's walking through the show) is still great to see. At his worst, he's still probably better than a lot of the new kids.

Thanks again and hope to hear more after the next trip!
Ray Pierce
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Ray mentions that DC walking through his show is prabably better than the new kids. I'd add that whatever you think are P&T worst bits are probably head and shoulders above what anyone else is doing.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
Anthony Cools is who I was thinking of. Worst Vegas show I've seen. But I haven't seen Criss Angel's show.
I liked CA's tv show. Kind of dissapointing that his stage show is bombing so bad.

Although... Has anyone else seen Criss Angel's Japan show? It was kind of weird too.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2258 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Mark, I totally agree about P&T. I've never seen Anthony Cools' show but it's advertized all over the place. I never saw Criss' Japan show... anyone?
Ray Pierce
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2640 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I always stay at the Luxor when I'm in Vegas and I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to steal that Mindfreak RV that's parked in the back near the parking lot.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Excellent Review of Criss Angel`s ``Magic`` Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL