The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Racism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok I think it is mostly about intent. (The example of a person of color calling another person of color an offensive name. They have similar life experiences and therefore a common bond and no intent to think one or the other superior.) It is as simple as this, yet this is what makes it so complex an issue.

Often I have seen people on these threads ascribe "racism" to something that they are absolutely dead wrong about. They have n clue about the "intent" of the poster. There are several people here just ready to ascribe racist to anyone who disagrees with them. They have no intent of doing the heavy lifting to find out any sort of context, it is easier to scream racist than it is to talk to people.

Race baiters are just as bad. I have said it before. The more you scream race and it is NOT the issue, well the fewer people who suffer from it that can be helped. People will and have started to get the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome and it is a very bad thing.

So why not spend a few man hours and figure out that the charge is true, rather than just ascribing it to the person because you generally disagree with someone?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Landmark

On 2011-05-08 07:39, Woland wrote:
Heard many - understood any?

"Some of my teachers thought so."

Care to expound upon your statement.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The context was Talmudic arguments. I think you got caught in the crossfire.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Danny; thank you for saying what was in my head. If people could understand the rules of intelligent argument these boards would be a tad more educational. Me thinks.

These days strong nationalism is called racism. Convictions to ones religious practices is called racism. Even a pride in ones own history is called racism. But they are not. So long as we misuse and accuse others of racism, we will continue to draw a veil of ignorance over those with opposing views, and in doing so end the discussion. This just leads to more ignorance or a lack of understanding of those different from ourselves. Not different as humans, but different when it comes to customs and beliefs. How will we interact with others without even a basic understanding of our differences and how we might overcome them? Just asking?
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Racism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL