The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Close up mentalism material (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stefo
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of stefo
I have been messing around with mentalism for last few months watching DVD's and reading books and now I have a desire to go out and perform close up mentalism, however it's hard to find DVD that goes deeper in close up mentalism, so I would like to hear from experienced members what DVD's or books should I read on the subject.

Best Regards.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ed fowler's second dvd is close up mentalism - he's a mighty fine person and mentalist...

if you google through the Café, you'll find info about it, and links...

docc Hilford's dvds are pretty much parlour and close up...

and simply psychic by ross johnson too...
I've asked to be banned
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Iain´s "Beautiful Lie" is a great compendium of ideas for close up mentalism
My own work is mostly focuses in "minimalistic" performances so is very compatible with close up performances.
If you take the Corinda and PME and tweak it a little, you can modernize a lot of the material in there and create your own "modern mentalism" pieces.
Cassidy´s as well in his books and eBooks has a LOT of strong material for close up performances.

Please don't get "This is Mentalism" DVD or " Modern Mentalism " DVD. Both are jamm with "mental tricks" and not really pieces for real mentalism performances.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
My new e-book, "Minimalism" will have a lot of close-up mentalism. Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I disagree with the original post. There are so many mentalism dvds and it seems most of them are based around closeup. Being someone that only performs stage I can't tell you how many times I buy a new dvd or dvd set and only one or two of the dozen or so effects could be used or adapted for stage, all the others are either closeup mentalism or card mentalism.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
In the book Spectacle there's an excellent close-up mentalism routine by Ray Grismer called The Janus Predictions. Uses coins.

Max Maven's VideoMind set has a DVD with close-up material that's very strong. His book Prism has excellent material as well.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Peter Duffie's Miraculous Minds Scotland Goes Mental is worth looking into.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
I will second Max Maven's Videomind DVD (Vol 2)and his book Prism. I will also second Docc Hilford's MM DVD's. "Theater of the Mind" by Barrie Richard has some great close-up in it and so does "Quartet" by Jack Kent Tillar! Richard Osterlind, Bob Cassidy. . .the list goes on and on and on. . .
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Other than allowing for the size of the audience and visibility concerns, I don't really see much of a distinction between stage and close-up mentalism. I do mostly the same things close-up that I do in my regular performances.

Good thoughts,

Bob
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
Opening Minds DVD set by Colin McLeod has some good close up effects.
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
1. Decide what you want to be:
Supernatural Uri Geller?
Psychological Derren Brown?
Magician Derren Brown?
No explanation Richard Osterlind?

2. Decide what effects best suit that persona; for example I want to be seen as a psychological illusionist, so I open with a "Coin in which Hand" routine where I guess which hand the coin is in (duh). Then I later move on to other effects, and when I dare even permit myself the joy of a coin bend.

3. Find methods for the effects you want to perform.

4. Don't use the easy methods, use the best methods.

5. Profit???
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
stefo
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of stefo
I want to be something between Banachek and Richard Osterlind.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Banalind? Osterchek?
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Buy 13th step...........
It's becoming a running gag, sadly!
He has now experience at all , start by the beginning and stick with it could be the best advice...
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
haklia
View Profile
New user
France
100 Posts

Profile of haklia
Richard Shaw? ;-)

So: Osterlind and Banachek DVDs. :-D
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
If your just starting out, start with easier methods. It will keep your nerves more com at the begging of your venture! Besides, there's nothing wrong with keeping it simple, know matter how advanced you are ( just my oppinion)Banachek's work was a huge influence on me as I learned a lot from it, Ostrlind deserves some credit as well.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
haklia
View Profile
New user
France
100 Posts

Profile of haklia
Quote:
On 2011-05-08 17:35, stefo wrote:
I have been messing around with mentalism for last few months watching DVD's and reading books

Tell us what you have watched and read. Smile
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Stefo,

Here, for the umpteenth time, is the same advice I give anyone who is contemplating undertaking the transition from magic to mentalism (or adding mentalism to their repertoire) and that I wish someone had given to me when I was at the same point in my development. The great thing is that both my advice and the source material that I recommend are, for the most part, free. I know that regular readers are already saying to themselves "here he goes again," nevertheless it apparently bears repeating (since newbies rarely avail themselves of the Café's "search" function).

First, forget about watching videos, buying DVDs or the lastest mindboggling miracle for sale. Start at the beginning. Learn what mentalism really is, the basic effects and premises on which they are based, and the basic/classic methodologies employed. These are things that are best learned by READING BOOKS -- not watching others performing on videos/DVDs (the time for that should come much later, when you are ready to see the interpretations that others apply to THEIR own presentations).

Although others will be quick to refer you to the books by Annemann and Corinda, I strongly suggest that before you invest in any other books, DVDs, CDs or effects, you would be better advised to read Bob Cassidy's "The Thirty-Nine Steps: A Mentalist's Library of Essential Works." I believe you can still download it for free from http://www.mastermindreader.com/The39Steps.html or http://www.Lybrary.com. You will also find it in Cassidy’s “Fundamentals of Professional Mentalism” which is a downloadable manuscript available at http://www.Lybary.com. While “Fundamentals” is not free, at only $29 it is one of best bargains in mentalism and IMO there is no better preparation for further study of the genre. IMO there is more valuable "real world" information packed into the 88 pages of "Fundamentals" than any other single source I've found in my 60+ year association with the magical arts.

For someone who is really a "beginner" in the truest sense of the word, I would recommend 2 books. Like Bob, "The Amateur Magician's Handbook" by Henry Hay is at the top of my list. The second, although not on Bob's list, is "The Handbook of Mental Magic" by Marvin Kaye. Another book, just released in February 2011, which I highly recommend and have recently added to my list is Richard Osterlind’s “The Principles of Mentalism.”

Hay's book is step 1. It provides the broad based practical foundation in the psychology and techniques of magic that is essential for anyone before they even consider tackling mentalism.

Kaye's is step 2 and covers many of the essential basics of mental magic -- the precursor to mentalism -- from the layman's perspective, presupposes zero prior knowledge or experience, and introduces the beginner to the important fundamentals in a more contemporary context.

Osterlind’s is step 3.

IMO those who will be quick to bypass those and direct you first to the works of Annemann, Larsen, Nelson, Newman, Corinda, etc. -- all of which BTW are more than worthy of study and, in fact, are among the sources recommended by Cassidy -- are putting the cart before the horse because most beginners lack the foundation needed to really "get into" those pioneers of mentalism whose writing and presentations will seem dated to anyone lacking the knowledge base to recognize and fully appreciate the timelessness of the principles underlying their work.

I am a firm believer in the idea that one should first learn to crawl, then to walk and that only after lots of experience running is one ready to tackle a marathon. I know that seems like a long, slow and arduous process. It is, but if you really want to learn, you should read the books. Mastering the basics will give you the foundation on which to build. Once you have laid a proper foundation, you will be ready to graduate to the works of the contemporary luminaries of mentalism like Maven, Waters, Cassidy, Becker, Banachek, Osterlind, Bernstein, Brook, Nyman, Looch, Quinn and others.

But before you even order "Fundamentals" you should understand and bear in mind that although many consider mentalism a subset of magic, it also has roots in spiritualism and mediumship and IMO it is one of the most demanding type of performing and requires a totally different mindset and skill set than magic as it responds to the totally different mindset of the audience. So be forewarned that it is NOT an easy transition for most magicians to make and can be even more difficult for those lacking a solid background in magic.

Just my $0.02
Dick Christian
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
They may only be 2 cents worth, but in Dick's case the coins are minted from gold.
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
930 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
I want to be Nimrod Harel.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Close up mentalism material (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL