The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Human species 'may split in two' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
MrMajestic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrMajestic
I feel like the theorist in this article just recently got a chance to read "The Time Machine" and was a little too excited about it, lol. I say this mostly because, though the article itself does acknowledge the connection with the H.G. Wells classic, the "scientific" descriptions of the two new races seem extraordinarily similar to the Eloi and Morlocks....
The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.
- Pearl S. Buck
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
They made this into a play and movie, "Hedwig and the Angry Inch."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Oh great, another eugenical theory from a philosopher. Maybe we should ask a biologist for a second opinion.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
There is an inordinate proportion of dim-witted underclass members right here at the not very magical forum.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-05-09 18:40, Al Angello wrote:
There is an inordinate proportion of dim-witted underclass members right here at the not very magical forum.

Why you gotta' say stuff like this?
~Will Rogers
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Critter
I did not name any names, but we all know who the dimmest bulbs on the Christmas tree are.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Well I know who I think are loonies, but I think they're in the minority. I have respect for almost everybody here or I wouldn't keep coming back.
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
In case you haven't noticed, we have split into many long ago... ;(
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Pakar's right. There have been males and females as long as I can remember. And contrary to the feminists, I think it's pretty clear that the female has always had the upper hand. Always. Since, like, the beginning.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Yes, Stone. Professor Munro Edmondson used to say that the first actual word ever spoken was spoken by a woman . . . and the word was "no."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

'Cept of course for stuff like economic parity, legal status, protection from violence, independence and educational opportunity. 'Part from that, they were sure sittin' pretty.

John
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
John
As a divorced man I will tell you that getting rid of a bad woman will cost you your life savings. I spent everything I had to get rid of Miss wrong, and it was well worth every penny of it. Young men are simply not prepared for this kind of hand to hand combat, and women are trained from birth to catch unsuspecting men like deer frozen in the headlights of a car.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2011-05-10 04:12, stoneunhinged wrote:
Pakar's right. There have been males and females as long as I can remember. And contrary to the feminists, I think it's pretty clear that the female has always had the upper hand. Always. Since, like, the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g3tQaqizh0
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Beano
Jerry and George are timeless.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-05-10 04:12, stoneunhinged wrote:

While this is true, it is not what I meant. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
It also leaves out the Hermaphrodites. So 2 is an (extremely) conservative estimate.
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-05-10 09:08, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
'Cept of course for stuff like economic parity, legal status, protection from violence, independence and educational opportunity. 'Part from that, they were sure sittin' pretty.

John

Gotta disagree.

Think of every woman you've ever known--wives, sisters, moms, colleagues...did you ever meet a single one you would consider weak? I bet not. The female homo sapiens sapiens is as tough as nails. And I imagine that this has always been the case.

So while I will not deny that injustice has existed with regard to women, I doubt seriously that such injustice was due to oppression.

Perhaps child bearing (and raising) has something to due to their status in most societies, rather than males exploiting them.

But however you want to look at it, try to give me an interpretation of history that takes into account how tough real-life women are.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-05-13 05:34, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-10 09:08, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

John

Gotta disagree.

Think of every woman you've ever known--wives, sisters, moms, colleagues...did you ever meet a single one you would consider weak? I bet not. The female homo sapiens sapiens is as tough as nails. And I imagine that this has always been the case.

So while I will not deny that injustice has existed with regard to women, I doubt seriously that such injustice was due to oppression.

Perhaps child bearing (and raising) has something to due to their status in most societies, rather than males exploiting them.

But however you want to look at it, try to give me an interpretation of history that takes into account how tough real-life women are.

Guess it depends on what you mean by oppression. I view social structures that, say, put women on the same legal standing as property as oppressive. The Christian marriage ceremony still carries vestiges of the transfer of property from the father to the the husband.

Seems to me that prohibitions on female voting, land ownership, education and independence are structurally oppressive.

I heard an interview on the radio last night. By current estimates, a woman in Congo is 50x as likely to be raped than is a woman in the West. Is this oppressive?

John
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Yes, Magnus, it is oppressive, but it has more to do with the differences between Congo and the West, than between men and women.

For an interesting perspective, from an informed psychological/anthropological perspective, may I suggest Roy Baumeister's address, "Is there anything good about men?" delivered to the American Psychological Association in 2007, here.

He later expanded his talk into a book, Oxford University Press, 2010.

Woland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Human species 'may split in two' (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL