The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A kid runs by and breaks my lota vase before the show?!?!?! What to do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tgs
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of tgs
Quote:
On 2011-05-12 22:30, dearwiseone wrote:
Chris,
It all depends what your contract/performance agreement said. Legally, you'd be fighting a very tough battle. Morally, if you specified in your performance agreement that there was to be an adult or multiple adult supervisors at all times to protect and keep clear the stage area, and if it was their responsibility to ensure the safety of the props, then by all means, explain how they fell short and ask for the compensation.

If not, chalk it up to experience, count this one as a loss, and don't take any more expensive props to kids shows!

Best Wishes!


Actually, legally it's a pretty simple battle. If the kid intentionally (and without permission) ruins the prop, his parents would be liable for replacing it. You're not likely to get an argument from most parents, although it would rarely be worth the expense to take legal action against holdouts. Under United States law, children old enough to understand they are misbehaving ARE liable for their intentional torts (with limited exceptions).
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1421 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Tgs- LAWS SNOMZ. Most entertainers are not going to ruin good will by fighting the parents for money even if it is the legal. Parents think their kids are angels even when they create the problem.
Contracts smontracts- I have in mine space is to be free and clear ,ready for the performer BEFORE I arrive. Does not happen most of the time, even is schools/ What can you do? YOu are not going to be be angry at them since it makes you look like a jerk...

If my P&L Lota hit the floor I am sure how I would handle it. Parents feel they have less control over their kids when not watching them like in a hall.


I have just been doing this long enough to not put anything out I do not have to if I have to leave the space or I am right there always on watch. Yes indeed, kids and running, they love to do it until they have to in gym class. But at that age they are zipping about and I usually only have to talk to them once.
However they are KIDS and can not reason well so when in the moment I see them forget until I step out.

Sometimes I get an adult to calm them down.
That is the real key, just explaining to those with more power that you have to keep this space free and that is when the running has to stop. Most parents know how wound up kids get and do not like it either.


Durning my show can also be an issue with wondering 2 year olds. They are sneaky and curious. I work so much harder when I have to keep my eye on them as well as perform.
I will talk to them which usually scares them off for a bit but then they might come back. They are the ones that can pull on and tip things.
Amazing how cute parents think it is until they get too grabby. Sometimes the parents do not get the hint to hold them back. They seem to rather have their bra...I mean precious angel, distract the audience rather than have them scream since they want to be free to toddle about.

BTW tape does not stop a toddler....
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Denver, CO
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
In the rare instances I show up and the kids are out of control and I need time to set up on a banquet floor or other terrible location, I break out the police line tape and stretch between a couple or few chairs. It looks cool to the kids, and it get's them to slow down around it.

http://www.amazon.com/Police-Plastic-BAR......001CUMGO

However, verbal and non-verbal communication is also a very good method.
Chad Wonder (Chad Wonder Magic, Inc)
Past President SAM 37/IBM 131 (Mile High Magicians)
www.idomagic.com
www.iDOMAGIC.dev
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
The advice Payne suggested (and backed up by Mr. Biro) is the best solution when performing in this context. Setting up a makeshift performance area is eventually going to lead to broken props and fuming tempers.Ideas like the bullhorn or police tape can sometimes backfire and draw more curious kiddos closer to where you really don't want them to be. How many gigs can all of us recall where the space designated for the "Magic Show" was a small corner in the family room or a spot on the floor (no riser or stage) where the audience would be running around hyped up on chocolate and soda pop????
I finally decided to use the "act from the suitcase" idea a few years back and boy am I glad I did!
At first I was afraid that it would prevent me from performing the effects I traditionally needed to set up on a small table prior to the act but with a little ingenuity and the right size suitcase, nothing has changed from my act...except for the headaches I used to get from the pre-show set up!
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
An unbreakable liquid trick you can't spill.. and kids can't really break... and you give them the caffeine will take effect AFTER the show.. so the parents have to deal with it!!

http://www.wack-o-magic.com./wackomagic/topsy_turvy.html

Sorry for the thread Hijack.. but making the parents deal with the caffeine is totally worth it!.. there are are a limited number left..and I probably won't make more for a year or so.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
The best way to keep kids away while setting up is...

Bring a small wooden cutting board and put it on your table.
Then get the biggest Bowie knife you can find....
Scream as you stab it into the cutting board,
then yell, "I dare anyone to get anywhere close to my table!!"

That works every time.
Image
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Quote:
On 2011-05-13 12:47, tgs wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-12 22:30, dearwiseone wrote:
Chris,
It all depends what your contract/performance agreement said. Legally, you'd be fighting a very tough battle. Morally, if you specified in your performance agreement that there was to be an adult or multiple adult supervisors at all times to protect and keep clear the stage area, and if it was their responsibility to ensure the safety of the props, then by all means, explain how they fell short and ask for the compensation.

If not, chalk it up to experience, count this one as a loss, and don't take any more expensive props to kids shows!

Best Wishes!


Actually, legally it's a pretty simple battle. If the kid intentionally (and without permission) ruins the prop, his parents would be liable for replacing it. You're not likely to get an argument from most parents, although it would rarely be worth the expense to take legal action against holdouts. Under United States law, children old enough to understand they are misbehaving ARE liable for their intentional torts (with limited exceptions).


tgs,
I'm sorry, but I think you're way off. I'm guessing you don't have insurance? It would be nearly impossible, if not impossible for you to sue for damages. I don't know if you've ever been through court cases, but you would have to submit evidence indicating so many different things from intent, liability (and/or release of liability), damages sustained, witnesses...trust me, it would be a very, very, very difficult case to win. In fact, I would say there is a higher chance of you being sued if the child or property sustained damages from the child knocking over your prop!

It's not as easy as saying the child intentionally broke your prop. Whether or not the act was intentional, you have to prove it to the court! Besides establishing fault (which could be nearly impossible, there had to have been multiple witnesses), you would then have be trying to prove intent!

Regardless of whether you or I are right, I think Chris learned his lesson, and let's be grateful most of us will never have to deal with this matter of legality!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
This is another good reason to host the whole party. I get to set up before the kids arrive, and at most there are just the Birthday kid and a couple of siblings and friends.
I also hand balloons to the kids as soon as they arrive at the party (and give them to early arrivals as soon as they get there). This gets them "on your side", which means it's easy to keep them "off your side" when you need.
Having a backdrop also helps - as has been mentioned, you can simply place chairs across the space from the backdrop to the side walls, to create a barrier. This works for me.
;)
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I keep all my props apart from 4 silks in two closed trunks. They only come out when they are being used, then are returned afterwards.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
terry herbert
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of terry herbert
For private birthday parties I either arrive and set up before the kids arrive and strike while they are having their tea or arrive during their tea and set up while they are out of the way and strike when they are leaving at the end of the party.

If it is a different situation I explain to the adults that in line with health & safety laws and the fact that I have electrics (my PA system which is in fact perfectly safe)it is essential that they keep the children away from my set up area.
It usually works.
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
Quote:
On 2011-05-14 23:53, randirain wrote:
The best way to keep kids away while setting up is...

Bring a small wooden cutting board and put it on your table.
Then get the biggest Bowie knife you can find....
Scream as you stab it into the cutting board,
then yell, "I dare anyone to get anywhere close to my table!!"

That works every time.

LOL
REV BILL
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Burnie Maryland
1001 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
I don't leave things out but if they break a prop I usually march into their room and bust one of their toys.
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-05-10 19:00, jimhlou wrote:
I have an air horn - it doesn't work. The kids will taunt you just to hear you blow the horn.

Jim


I carry a stun gun at the show at all times; paralyze one kid for a few minutes and the remaining kids listen to everything you say.

The parents love it

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A kid runs by and breaks my lota vase before the show?!?!?! What to do? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL