The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Getting more birthday gigs. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

abracadanny
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of abracadanny
Hi. I am 14 and have done many day care center gigs, a few restaurant gigs, Many charity events, but I have only done two birthday party's. I have been trying to get into the birthday party business but don't rely now how. I already have a Birthday show and The two parties I've done were huge successes. The main problem is advertising. I don't know how to get my name out there I want to go on partypop.com but cant afford it at the moment. Does anyone have advice?

Magical Wishes,
Danny
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
There's lots of advice on this forum about promoting yourself, take some time and dig through it all. This board has been around for years so it will take awhile, but remember that you don't need to pay for a service like Partypop.com right now. You're better off doing "grassroots" local advertising.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Danny,
Jeff had great advice, just spend days and days digging through these forums, there's tons of advice on advertising, especially for those starting out.

Have some simple business cards printed up, the total cost should be less than $20. Make a simple website or have someone make one for you has at least a few pictures, maybe some videos.

Put up your business cards or fliers at places like community bulletin boards, etc.

Look up local community events on your calendar and call the event organizer, offering do perform some magic. There at the event, you can have a table with your business cards and you can also mention during the show that you perform at birthday parties.

Please don't underestimate looking through these forums. I doubt you have looked through all these posts. You can spend days and days looking back through old posts for advice on advertising, getting your name out, etc. Plus, all this info is free!

Best Wishes! - Kevin
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Hi Danny:

One of the best ways to get started is with your business cards. As Kevin said, if you don't have any, get some made. My first business cards said "Birthday Party Magic" right across the top.

Give a bunch to your parents and ask them to give them out. If you see a mom with a small child walk up to her, introduce yourself, and give her a card. I gave a lady a card in Target, and she called me for a show the very next week.

It takes a long time to get the word out - just keep at it.

Good Luck,

Jim
Gary Shelton
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Gary Shelton
After you get you cards made go to the local party supply stores and drop off some of your card while talking up yourself.

Every time you work anywhere leave some your cards behind.

See if there is a parent magazine in your area, an Ad maybe to expensive at first but perhaps you could get a small feater written about you.
Full Effect Steve
View Profile
New user
NJ
82 Posts

Profile of Full Effect Steve
Hand out a simple coloring sheet or activity sheet at all of your community and daycare shows. Be sure to have your name, phone number and website if you have one printed on the coloring sheet. These can be copied fairly cheap at Staples or Kinkos. Start with 100 and give one to each child after the show. It's just one more easy inexpensive way to get your name and contact info hanging on their refrigerator!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Good ideas, all!

As a career sales rep, let's not forget the magic of referrals and testimonials!

Get the folks that have already hired you to write a short testimonial that you can use on your flyers, website, etc. Or, just keep a "brag book" of letters from satisfied clients.

Ask these satisfied folks for referrals. Say something like "Mrs. Jones, do you know of anyone else whose child might really enjoy having a magical birthday?"

Give it a try!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1621 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
The best spots to leave your cards are children play centers. They cater to birthday parties on week-ends.
Visit all the hair salons for women and offer the owner a free show if they will allow you to put a holder with your cards on the counter.
If the owner likes your performance she will tell her customers about you.
Tricky Ricky
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Check with local Parenting magazines. These are entirely local and don't waste your efforts on "suspects" outside your marketing geography. these magazines are typically found in better church lobby areas.

You may have to buy ads to get a story done about you. Do it! The identity will help you to overcome age bias, introduction problems and to differentiate you from the business cards on bulletin boards.

The article about you in one of these magazines can be a priceless reference to well-heeled parents.

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2011-05-14 06:32, TrickyRicky wrote:

Visit all the hair salons for women and offer the owner a free show if they will allow you to put a holder with your cards on the counter.
If the owner likes your performance she will tell her customers about you.
Tricky Ricky

I have given that same advice to other people too Ricky. It costs you NOTHING. Just your time in exchange for free advertising. Offer a free show in exchange for leaving your ad there for a year in a holder and the permission to come fill it once a week/month etc.

While moms are sitting around waiting to get their hair done, they will be visible. And who books birthday parties? 98% of the time it is moms.

Golden advice Ricky.

Tommy
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1621 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Hi Tommy.
I'm using your spotted wand every day. What a refreshing prop, it's a laugh a minute.

To tell you the truth, Beauty Parlor is the way to go. You will get gigs galore. Guranteed.
Years ago that's how I started out. The referrals were many, the work kept coming in.

There is one draw-back, you better have a great show put together or else you will get a bad name.
These ladies talk talk a lot, bad news gets around faster than good ones.

The parlor you approach should be the high end ones, their clientels have the dough to spend.
Get a nice business card holder and glue one card to the inside back part in case your cards run-out
they can still copy you information off that card.

Offer a free show to the owner of the parlor. If they like your performance, they will tell all their customers about you.

I've been there done that so I know it works---even today it will.
Tricky Ricky
!
abracadanny
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of abracadanny
Thank you everyone for your advise. I already have a business card ant the hair salon idea is great.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I know it's already been mentioned but I would say getting a website is the no. 1 priority. Then get a book about SEO (or maybe do that first?!)

My website is the only place I advertise now.

You can get a free listing on Partypops, but I'm not sure if it will do you much good. I've had no work from mine. Even with a enhanced listing I question how much work you'd get from this. Why pay someone for a web presence when with a bit of work you can create one yourself.

Mark
kazam65
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kazam65
My advice Danny is to get out there and do as many events as possible where you are in the public eye, and that means FREE events too. Volunteer your services for Pancake Breakfast Fundraisers, Arthritis Walks, Cancer Relays,... This will get you spinoff work...guaranteed! Approach more family restaurants to bring in more families for their family fun nights. You will find... The more you work, the more you work!

The main idea is...You want to be a "YES" or a "NO" to anyone who is considering having a magician for their child's party.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1621 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Referrals abd word of mouth beats everything.
When you're recommended by a customer, almost and always you will get the booking.
I'm kind of semi-retired in the last 3 years, I tried to only do the shows that I choose.
I've never had a web site , never need one.My customers are my web, they pass my name around.
Only recently my son put up a one picture web with my email address and phone number.
It takes time to build up a (REPUTATION), but when you do, it will bring in the business.
Tricky Ricky
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Hand out those business cards. I go through 1000's of them and get lots of calls and some of those alls turn into bookings. But you wont get the phone to ring unless people know how to get a hold of you.
Life of Magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Getting more birthday gigs. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL