The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » crystal ball colour change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Covernton
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of Covernton
Good evening all!
I was toying with some small round crystals I picked up at a shop a while back, and suddenly stumbled across a great routine.
What I need to get started is a certain colour change. The crystals are slightly larger than marble-sized and either smokey-white or transluscent black in colour. The effect I'd like to produce is to "suck" the white out from the crystal. An idea I got from Strange Ceremonies by Eugene Burger, describing a routine by Jay Inglee. Jay uses lapping and misdirection, while I'd like to produce something that's more visual. If I smoked I'd like to suck the white out and exhale it, but being a non-smoker that's not possible. And beyond gaffing the balls I'm at a loss for how to produce rthe effect os a sudden colour change in one hand without cover.

The crystal has to be brought to the lips, openly shown to be white and with a sudden inhaling motion, change to black. I'm toying around with some one-handed changes but not coming up with satisfactory results.

If anyone has some ideas on how I might be able to accomplish this effect I'd be very greatful.

Tx!

-Covernton
carlb
View Profile
New user
Seattle
77 Posts

Profile of carlb
Particularly with the motion you describe, this sounds like a perfect candidate for a sleeving move. Carl Cloutier has a nice, ungaffed, quadruple color changing ball routine that makes great use of his jacket.

Is this a possibility or does your attire preclude it?
Covernton
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of Covernton
Interesting you should say that because sleeving was the first thing I'd investigated. I'm a huge advocate of sleeving and make use of it fairly often, but the balls I'm using... something about their size doesn't make them suitable for the motion... I'm stilly toying though. Also the finale vanish with the ball will involve sleeving, but a different method =)

Increasingly I think I'm going to make a gaff-ball =)

-Covernton
carlb
View Profile
New user
Seattle
77 Posts

Profile of carlb
Hmmm..."slightly larger than marble size" seems perfect for a simple sleeving move - but I trust you.

Have you consdered the "JW grip" - it usually used with coins but (again depending the size of the balls) it may be adaptble for something like this.
Covernton
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of Covernton
that's initially why I bought the balls, for sleeving. But.. something about their weight and texture... it just makes me uncomfortable holding them. with practice maybe...

Never encountered this grip... what's the effect for his grip?

tx!

-Covernton
carlb
View Profile
New user
Seattle
77 Posts

Profile of carlb
Reed McClintock and Appollo Robbins both use this a lot. It allows you to hold an object or empty hand up at chest or face height displaying an extremely convincing empty hand while actually concealing an(other) object. It can be used very effectively for productions and color changes.

You can find it on either of Reed's DVD and on the Appollo/Shoot DVD, although the original source in a book by Horace Bennett, I believe.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I have a little experience with crystal balls in magical routines.
Cloutier's video on sleeving seems like the method for your effect.
Part of my solution was the Inertia Pass by Dan Silvester. If you can not use it it is a very useful technique anyway.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
ludmer
View Profile
New user
Brazil
59 Posts

Profile of ludmer
just a tip.. you can paint your tongue with the color of the ball as you don´t wanna smoke. Smile
I trust jewish magicians and bagels
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » crystal ball colour change (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL