The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ru Paul (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
With all the talk going on about Obama I was wondering what people thought of Dr. Paul?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3RB_56WziA&feature=related

OK, I just had to. Smile
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I always liked RuPaul. Her politics are good too. I think "You gotta' work, !@#$%!" is a fantastic platform in today's economy.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Couldn't agree with you more, about working that is. Not so sure about your gender identification, though?
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Well the proper etiquette is to use the 'she' descriptor while they are in the drag persona, regardless of physical gender.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Yeah and if I dress like Napoleon, the proper reference would be "bonjour mon capitaine". Or can we size you up for this straight jacket? I could of course escape, but would the people of France accept me?
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Reminds me of the Smullyan anecdote where a guy was trying to get released from a mental hospital, and for his interview, he was hooked up to a lie detector...the psychiatrist asked him if he was Napoleon, he said, "No," and the machine said he was lying.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ah, but you have to also know that the machine is faulty and is mistaken exactly half of the time . . .
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Dr.: "Who are you?"
Patient: "Napoleon."
Dr.: "How do you know?"
Patient: "God told me."
Patient in next bed: "I did not!!!"
:crazydude:
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-05-13 01:21, jdmagic357 wrote:
Yeah and if I dress like Napoleon, the proper reference would be "bonjour mon capitaine". Or can we size you up for this straight jacket? I could of course escape, but would the people of France accept me?


Your analogy would work if Ru Paul dressed and behaved as if she thought she were Marilyn Monroe and expected to be addressed as such.
Does it really hurt anybody to call Ru Paul (or any transvestite in female garb) "her?"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2011-05-14 11:33, ed rhodes wrote:
Your analogy would work if Ru Paul dressed and behaved as if she thought she were Marilyn Monroe and expected to be addressed as such.
Does it really hurt anybody to call Ru Paul (or any transvestite in female garb) "her?"


Idk if it "hurts", but to live in a world of fantasy, with an avoidance of reality, might be harmful to ones psyche? Or so I've been told. Smile
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-05-14 20:44, jdmagic357 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-14 11:33, ed rhodes wrote:
Your analogy would work if Ru Paul dressed and behaved as if she thought she were Marilyn Monroe and expected to be addressed as such.
Does it really hurt anybody to call Ru Paul (or any transvestite in female garb) "her?"


Idk if it "hurts", but to live in a world of fantasy, with an avoidance of reality, might be harmful to ones psyche? Or so I've been told. Smile


hey, "she's" making a living off of it and is getting massive returns.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-05-14 20:44, jdmagic357 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-14 11:33, ed rhodes wrote:
Your analogy would work if Ru Paul dressed and behaved as if she thought she were Marilyn Monroe and expected to be addressed as such.
Does it really hurt anybody to call Ru Paul (or any transvestite in female garb) "her?"


Idk if it "hurts", but to live in a world of fantasy, with an avoidance of reality, might be harmful to ones psyche? Or so I've been told. Smile


I don't think so. I think it's when someone doesn't know the difference between their fantasy and reality that it's a problem.
I don't believe that RuPaul/Andre Charles fits the demented category.
Yeah, I know, winky. Just sayin'
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
"... to live in a world of fantasy, with an avoidance of reality, might be harmful to ones psyche? Or so I've been told."

You shouldn't take too much notice of what you're told.

We all play roles in this life and what may appear a fantasy to others might just be reality to the person concerned - not an avoidance of reality but a different aspect of their character.

I spent 10 years performing wildlife shows in ranger uniform - I found when I put on the uniform, my personality changed to suit the character that went with the uniform. I was not acting out a personality - I was simply bringing to the fore the aspects of my personality which suited the perception of the uniform. When I finished a show I was still in public, in the uniform, and so I continued to behave in an appropriate manner.

I fail to see how Ru Paul, or indeed myself, in my current character, stray from this paradigm.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Amen, child.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Beneath this cheap veneer is just more cheap veneer.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2011-05-15 13:13, Donal Chayce wrote:
Beneath this cheap veneer is just more cheap veneer.


I suspect that HIS makeup, is anything but cheap?
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
...HIS...


Well, if you're comfortable with this sort of intolerance then there's nothing I can do about it. Just as long as we're all aware that this is disrespectful to another human being who's done nothing to earn disrespect.

And here I thought this was gonna' be a fun thread.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1064 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
To all those arguing that RuPaul deserves to be referred to in the feminine gender (specifically Critter), please see HIS wikipedia page of which I have pasted a portion:

"RuPaul is noted among famous drag queens for his indifference towards the gender-specific pronouns used to address him—both "he" and "she" have been deemed acceptable. "You can call me he. You can call me she. You can call me Regis and Kathie Lee; I don't care! Just as long as you call me." "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ru_Paul
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-05-16 15:40, Dr. JK wrote:
To all those arguing that RuPaul deserves to be referred to in the feminine gender (specifically Critter), please see HIS wikipedia page of which I have pasted a portion:

"RuPaul is noted among famous drag queens for his indifference towards the gender-specific pronouns used to address him—both "he" and "she" have been deemed acceptable. "You can call me he. You can call me she. You can call me Regis and Kathie Lee; I don't care! Just as long as you call me." "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ru_Paul


For one thing: I didn't start the arguement.
For another: Every member of the trans community that I have ever known would jump down your throat if you called them a "he" when they weren't in male clothing. It is considered offensive and intolerant within the community. So RuPaul might be an exception in terms of HER preference, it is disrespectful to most who live this lifestyle.
Like I've said before, I'm not big on PC, so this isn't a life or death arguement with me. (Although if it were a full time transgendered person we were talking about then it would be very serious to me.)
I was called out for adhering to the customs of the community so I supported my position. And I still stand by it. There's not one thing a 16 year old quote pasted into Wikipedia says that changes that.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Still odd that I was singled out of everyone else in that reply. "Especially" maybe since I was the most vocal, but "Specifically" is pretty, well, specific.

Destiny, do you prefer the "He" or "She?"
I always think of you as a very funny "she" but if you prefer the other then I can adjust.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ru Paul (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL