The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ru Paul (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Hi Critter,

It's funny how often you draw the lightening bolts, because I find myself in agreement with you on so many things.

I'm with you. I address people as they see themselves - if it's important to them that they be 'he', 'she', 'Dr', 'Mrs', 'Ms', 'Reverend', 'Your Holiness', or 'Your Majesty' I have no problem with it, whether I personally find Queen Elizabeth to be majestic or not.

My birthname was Anthony but I've never been called that, even as a young child, and I think that gave me an early acceptance that people should be addressed as they chose.

I've been known as Destiny longer and by more people than have ever called me by another name so I really think of it as my name - I have to admit to some annoyance though, that after decades of having a fairly unique name, thanks to Beyonce, there is now a Destiny on every second street corner.

As far as 'he' or 'she' most people refer to me as 'she', but I am not offended to be addressed otherwise - except when people do it pointedly which I feel is rather petty.

I should point out I am not much of a socialiser - work consumes most of my time, so very few people know me privately.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1061 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On 2011-05-16 17:59, critter wrote:
Still odd that I was singled out of everyone else in that reply. "Especially" maybe since I was the most vocal, but "Specifically" is pretty, well, specific.


No intent to hurt your feelings. I did single you out because you called someone "intolerant" for stating their opinion (and disagreeing with yours). While you may be correct that some consider it to be rude to call he a she (or whatever), that should be about the extent of your argument. Instead, you pursued it further, calling JD intolerant and disrespectful to humans. Rather a bold statement to be so blatantly wrong as it relates to this specific thread (considering that RuPaul is not threatened or bothered by the "his" label). I called you out because your response was factually incorrect with regard to this specific topic, and because you resorted to name-calling. Like I said, sorry if I hurt your feelings. I didn't really care to respond to this thread until I saw your post.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-05-17 08:35, Dr. JK wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-16 17:59, critter wrote:
Still odd that I was singled out of everyone else in that reply. "Especially" maybe since I was the most vocal, but "Specifically" is pretty, well, specific.


No intent to hurt your feelings. I did single you out because you called someone "intolerant" for stating their opinion (and disagreeing with yours). While you may be correct that some consider it to be rude to call he a she (or whatever), that should be about the extent of your argument. Instead, you pursued it further, calling JD intolerant and disrespectful to humans. Rather a bold statement to be so blatantly wrong as it relates to this specific thread (considering that RuPaul is not threatened or bothered by the "his" label). I called you out because your response was factually incorrect with regard to this specific topic, and because you resorted to name-calling. Like I said, sorry if I hurt your feelings. I didn't really care to respond to this thread until I saw your post.


Well, bud, I'd say that capitolizing the HIS was the first insult thrown when I'd already stated that it is an intolerant statement within the community. That kind of makes it directly intended as an insulting statement. Especially when combined with the previous statements about living in a fantasy world and being detached from reality. When the HIM is said with such disdain, then that's namecalling in my book.
So if I respond in kind well then I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-05-17 06:15, Destiny wrote:
Hi Critter,

As far as 'he' or 'she' most people refer to me as 'she', but I am not offended to be addressed otherwise - except when people do it pointedly which I feel is rather petty.


That's the way I've been taking it here. Pointed and petty.
Thanks for the insights.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ru Paul (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL