The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ok - Is "In 'n Out Burger" Really that good? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-05-13 19:56, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Payne - where is the 5 Guys up here? I've never been and always wanted to go, merely out of curiosity after seeing Obama and Brian Williams go to one in D.C. once.

I'm an In N' Out fan, and the secret menu is indeed great. Not to mention the company was taken over by a 23-year old girl, which is just plain hot.

It's just south of Northgate in the new Thorton Creek complex. There's a new Multiplex movie theatre right next to it. So you can make an evening of it. Dinner and a show.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I used to like Steak and Shake when I lived in Fla.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I reckon different folks have different taste in burgers. I like Rusty Roof a lot, but I wouldn't put it above Dick's (Spokane, never been to the Seattle one. They are unaffiliated.) I prefer a grease bomb over one of those dry-bun 'gourmet' things from Red Robin and those kinda' places.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Going out today to get one. I'll report back with my 'review'.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Review will have to wait. The drive-thru line was over a quarter-mile long, and the regular in-store line way too long. Have to come back another time.

On the way I saw a Steak and Shake, and decided to give that a try. Had a double with cheese. The meat was tender but was very crusty-feeling around the edges. Not as substantial as I thought it would be. Taste was ok. My current favorite burger is Burger King, and Steak and Shake won't change that. Whataburger tastes way too salty for my tastes.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
We just got 5 Guys. Haven't had it yet. They came in 6th in the burger brawl behind Zip's. Only national chain to make the list I think.
~Will Rogers
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Critter, stop in at Dick's the next time you're out this way. I think you'll be pleased. I'm with you - I'll take an 80 cent burger from a greasy place over the Red Robin burgers and all that fancy stuff. I'm the same way with Mexican food. Fry it, cover it with cheese, and fry it again. I want my enchiladas to come from a rusty vat in a dirty kitchen. I can't handle all this healthy Chipotle and Baja Fresh garbage. I'd rather live a shorter life and eat the good stuff.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
No. In n Out burger is rancid.

Now Five Guys...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
If you're in NYC, my carnivore eyewitness spies tell me the burgers at the restaurant at the side of the Hotel Meridian are the best . . .
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Steak n Shake is excellent, although that varies, as with all of these places, depending on the local on-site manager & staff.
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Quote:
On 2011-05-14 18:58, Woland wrote:
Steak n Shake is excellent, although that varies, as with all of these places, depending on the local on-site manager & staff.

the one that opened near me died because of service that ranged from lousy to non-existent. A shame because the food was pretty good
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
By FAR the best fast food of anything. Wendys should not even compare, same with fat burger

Secret menu. Everything is fresh, on that day.

Animal style 4x4, animal fries.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-05-14 17:08, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Critter, stop in at Dick's the next time you're out this way. I think you'll be pleased. I'm with you - I'll take an 80 cent burger from a greasy place over the Red Robin burgers and all that fancy stuff. I'm the same way with Mexican food. Fry it, cover it with cheese, and fry it again. I want my enchiladas to come from a rusty vat in a dirty kitchen. I can't handle all this healthy Chipotle and Baja Fresh garbage. I'd rather live a shorter life and eat the good stuff.

I accidentally drove past the Seattle Dick's once. I was looking for Archie MacPhee. We ended up getting burgers at a place across the street from Archie MacPhee that was awesome. I don't remember the name. They had this burger that was a "jalapeno popper burger." I don't mean it had poppers on it, no. It was much more interesting. They filled the burger with cream cheese and peppers, and then breaded and fried the entire patty. I think it had raspberry bar-b-q sauce, but I'm not sure. Must have been a good 2,000 kilocalories (one for our friends across the pond) at least. But it was so awesome.
I eat pretty good most of the time, so when I splurge I like to get the most out of it.
~Will Rogers
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Sounds like you found Hamburger Harry's. A fine burger joint but usually pretty crowded. Probably because the burgers are so good.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Had a double meat double cheese burger at In-N-Out.

A very, very good burger, nicely done. My wife also liked her regular burger. My daughter ordered a plain burger - just meat and a bun (seems almost a crime to spend an hour at a new, anticipated burger joint, only to order the basest of models. Ah, well...she didn't wait an hour in the drive-thru, I did!).

On par with the best I've had. There is a place much closes to me called Del's, a mom and pop place that is very good, too. I'm not a big "burger guy" so I'll probably never go out of my way to get a burger in the way I did tonight. It was a definite cut above BK, Jack in the Box, McDonalds, etc...
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Stopped in at a Nations... There right now. Puts I&O to shame plus you can get pretty good pies!
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Nations....the late night place. I hate the spread they put on the bun. Not bad after a night of bar hopping.

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Chessman, I thought you lived in the Dallas area?

Guys, I'm not kidding in the least. Texas hamburgers taste truly different. I went to In 'n Out for the first time last fall and truly enjoyed it. A wonderful burger. But it sure wasn't a Whataburger (and I consider Whataburger to be an inferior version of an authentic Texas-style burger.)

Are there no Texans in this forum? Or has Texas been so thoroughly corrupted by foreigners that inferior burgers are accepted as acceptable alternatives.

And Kevin, you're online. Howzit.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Nations, the real burger place. No spread on the bun, hold the mayo. I never do mayo on sandwiches or burgers. Real lettuce leaves which are larger than the bun. Two real slices of tomato which are visible without digging for them. One and a half full slices of onion. don't know why the half but it has been consistent between the two local Nations. At the tableI cut the amount of onion in half because it is a fresh thick real onion. So basically it the same accompaniments one would use at home, fresh real lettuce, tomato, and onion.

I&O has the second most soggy and limp fries I have ever encountered. You have to eat them while you walk back to the table because in time it takes to get ketchup and mustard and then return to your table the fries go limp. Asking for extra crispy fries didn't help. A consistent problem experienced at more than one I&O. Their burger was more homestyle than the larger chains, but not better than Nations for my tastes.

BTW the worst fries were at a place called The Kwick Way. An old drive thru remnant which had the worst food imaginable. So bad that eventually you end up trying it, thinking it can't be as bad as it seems... Then you find out it is worse. Definitely a place for those who need to grease up after a late night out. Not surprising it went out of business, the building stood vacant for many years, and just recently someone reopened it. I'm waiting to hear a lot of reviews before I even consider trying it.

I have found a large chain exception. BK's Surloin Burger. It was quite a good burger, but it should be at the same price as a steak from the grocery store. I've only had it once, so I might have just gotten lucky. I was on the road and still remember being shocked at how good the burger was.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Get the fries well done at in n out, problem taken care of...

I think nations are franschises-in they aren't wow... One in Oakland is gonna be different compared to walnut creek. It's a disgusting place, food isn't bad.

I like service and a clean place-in n out beats nations like a rented mule in those areas.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ok - Is "In 'n Out Burger" Really that good? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL