We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ribbons through neck? still available? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1421 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
An older magician told me about an effect he once had where you tie ribbons around a childs neck and body and also safety pin the ribbons to the front of the cloths. The ribbons are pulled and the body neck are free as well as the clothing is unharmed by the pins

I am sure it must have been called something weird like Ribbons of Zorba or Phantom Ribbons as was the way tricks were named.

Anyone have an idea of the name and if it is still available?( and if it looked as good as it sounds?)
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Powermagic,
I'm not sure if there is a marketed effect that was sold like that. I know the effect is in different books. (Someone else will be able to help us out with the book name!) I know it's been in magazines, I don't know of anyone who currently sells the ribbons through neck though.

Good luck!
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
A ribbon presentation is given in "Chinese tape through neck" by Tarbell (1954) Vol 6 p. 324 - 7. I've never seen it as a commercial effect though.

Most people who use it do as a rope trick. eg in Abbott (1945) Tenkai's Rope through neck p.58 and New rope through neck p.59

Personally I prefer to do it through a volunteers stomach as I feel it is much safer if the young audience try it at home.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I never had a desire to do this effect, although I have seen several performers do it with rope, as mentioned.

I would never do it through the neck at a kids show, that wouldn't be something you want young kids watching and then trying to imitate!
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1421 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Sorry guys I am not here to debate any issues copy cat or safety.
Actually the senior has full recollection on how it worked and said he never had an issue.

This effect WAS available for purchase at one time since he described how the pins released from the cloths and it was not something he would have ever made.
Since I do not have Tarbell is any of the references have safety pins involved?

I will pick his brain to see if he can recall the name.

As I said, just because we are in Little Darlings, many of us do older kids and pre teens. Also if you can not get your hands on similar ribbons I doubt a child is going to figure out how to copy it on their little brother.

I was more curious on the history of it and if it looked good since the neck penetration used something for the release that I am not sure would look convincing today.

In a way it is good there was not an instant answer since then I would have an edge if I made whats old , new again.
PM me if you have the inside skinny.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1624 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Sorry Powermagic.
I know you don't want to hear of the danger or serious problems you will get yourself in if anything should happen to a kid.
It's an accident waiting to happen. With so many trick available to entertain children---why on Earth you'd want to put yourself in that position?
If you should even squeeze the child's neck a bit, you would be in big trouble.
You should pay attention to Dearwiseone--he is a wise one.
Tricky Ricky
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Tricky ricky - I don't think he is afraid of hurting the kids and I think others are refering to the fact that the kids might go home and try the trick and hurt themselves - the superman effect!

I say I never really worry about that I'm not PC I juggle knives I use fire and never once think a kid will go home and try this. that's the parents job to make sure the kid knows what is real and what is not. there is way more dangerous stuff on tv that kids see then in any of our magic shows.

as for the ribbon trick id swear jeff hobson has this trick on on of his DVDS but it was know thru the neck it was thru several kids. at least I know it was with ribbon just cant remember exactly what he did. my be worth looking into.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1638 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Avoid.

- do the grandmothers necklace principal around the kid's waist, if you really have to.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7454 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
In Chris Carey's magic book, "Do the stuff that's you" (published in 1980), he has a routine for "Ropes Thru Dad." In the illustrations and description, it is the trick where the ropes wrap around the body several times, including the neck I think. Not the typical grandmother's necklace version, where the rope is behind the back and passes thru a person's middle.

I don't think that pins to the clothing were involved in Chris's version.

BTW, with that book title, I think there are at least 2 volumes. You want volume 1, or the one that is just called "Do the stuff that's you" with no volume number on the cover. He also has a book titled "Find the stuff that's you", which is different again.

Unfortunately, I can't give you more details than this just now. I don't have the book handy here at my home. It's stored elsewhere.

Again, it's not info about the commercial version of this trick. But it is information about how to get your hands on a routine and some basic information about a version that wraps around a person multiple times. If this post isn't of interest to Powermagic, perhaps it might be of interest to others.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1421 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Right Donald this is not what I was seeking. Not on topic. I was not seeking the history of all ribbons through neck just the life history of this version which doesnot use any double looping. The effect is much older and clever in some ways overly simple in others. I am not sure it was a fooler but my friend stated it was a hit with a kids. The pins added that touch that gets the adults pondering. That aspect is the clever part.

But really people should not comment and say to avoid if they do not know the effect. It is safe to perform and the ribbon ads an element of softness compared to a rope.
While you can be sued for anything, it is the parents responsibility to watch their kids and while they can try to blame me, my insurance will cover any suit and they will lose since I did not hurt the child at the show. Kids see far worse on TV .
Also many of us have done ropes through body for years and never had an incident.
But really I considered this matter closed as I found the answer to my own question.

Thanks anyway for the input.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ribbons through neck? still available? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL