The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » It's raining -- Again! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
We've been hit by more than one hurricane, but they mostly seem to stay down south these days.
They used to curve up the coast of Florida and we might have a good chance of getting hit,
but nowadays, they shoot through Florida like a bullet (hey, EVERYBODY wants to go to Disneyworld!) and muck around in the Gulf!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
That was of course supposed to say "buy" not "but" a grill cover. I should proof better.

Ed, I have been in florida for almost 9 years. Coming from Oklahoma a hurricane doesn't scare me. Twisters pop up in the blink of an eye. Hurricanes can come at you for days. But they can also stay on top of you for days. I'm hoping for a light season like we have had the past few years.

I also put larger casters on my rig so that when I'm going through puddles it will stay out of the water. You have to prepare for anything that could happen out there. All while doing it, of course.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
That's why you guys are better 'n me! Seriously, went out last Tuesday and did better than I had the previous time.
My next major goal is to stay out for longer than a few hours. I think if I could stay out for 8 or 9 hours, I could make some serious money. Next day off is tomorrow so we'll see. I make no promises, I am a master procrastinator, I'm not proud of it, just aware.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
ME too Ed. What I do is I set a goal to break my previous record. So if you have always done 2-3 hours, set in your mind that you are going to do 4 hours. Then just keep gradually breaking that goal. I can't go from 2 hours to 8 hours. But 2 to 3 is easy. 3 to 4. 4 to 5.

I would never say I am better than you or anyone. Perhaps more stubborn.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
So Ed, have you ever tried working that Water Fire thingy in Providence?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I need their permission to work the Waterfire, and they want audition tapes and information on insurance.
So, no.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Wow. I thought I knew what rain was until Thursday. 2:30 in the morning it starts to come down, with gusting winds up to 70 mph. Then thunder and lightening, THEN the hail started!!! T*H*E*N the power went out!!!!
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
So you decided not to work with cards?
You know why don't act naive.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
It's probably not wise.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I don't think middle-of-the-week is a good time to go out. (Hence, why I'm a "week end warrior.") Besides which, the wife has "chores" for me tomorrow. But so far Friday's looking good! Let's hope for the best!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-06-10 05:15, ed rhodes wrote:
Wow. I thought I knew what rain was until Thursday. 2:30 in the morning it starts to come down, with gusting winds up to 70 mph. Then thunder and lightening, THEN the hail started!!! T*H*E*N the power went out!!!!

Quote:
On 2011-06-10 13:37, HerbLarry wrote:
So you decided not to work with cards?

What, no waterproof plastic Bicycle cards??

Quote:
On 2011-05-26 21:51, ed rhodes wrote:
Can't do a "hat line." Not allowed to "directly solicit funds."
My "non-hat" line is;

(While tied up in Shanghi Shackle)
"My agreement with the city of Providence is that I am allowed to perform for tips as long as I don't "directly solicit" funds.
So I will not tell you you have to give me money, that would be rude. And I won't beg you to please give me money, that would be pathetic.
I simply make the observation that tipping is not something done with cows."
(Escape from Shanghi Shackle)

I occasionally perform an impromptu effect on the streets but street magic is not what I do, and I do not busk either, but that is such a great line!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I had waterproof bridge cards for many years. For those of you old enough, there used to be a pop music festival in Newport. One year, there was a riot and the place got torn apart (today, there's a section of government housing there actually called "Festival Field").

The day after the riot, I went through the area to see what had happened. The doors to the dressing room areas were broken in and I looked. Amid the rubble, I found a playing card made of plastic with a purple back design. Within a few minutes, I'd found the entire deck scattered around the room. I kept that deck for years.

However, it wasn't a really good deck for slights or flourishes. And in damp weather, the cards would stick together.

Quote:
I occasionally perform an impromptu effect on the streets but street magic is not what I do, and I do not busk either, but that is such a great line!

Thanks, I don't consider myself a truly "creative" person, but I was happy coming up with that!
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
I'm even old enough to remember the Jazz Festival riots.
Ah, the good 'ol days.
-Charles Schulz
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I forgot it was the "Jazz" Festival, somehow I thought it was the "Pop" Festival. Either way, the field itself is gone now. They tried to hold the "Newport" Jazz Festival in New York City, but the Newport sponsors objected to the name "Newport" if it's not be held there. I think it's back now (and has been for some time) being held at Fort Adams State Park.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
There were several dust-ups over the years. Things are much easier to manage at Ft. Adams now. George Wein is still working at 84...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.ht......orgewein
George Wein's jazz and folk festivals in Newport, R.I., have set their lineups for the summer. The folk festival will return to Fort Adams State Park on July 31 and Aug. 1, with Richie Havens, top left; Sharon Jones, top right; and Levon Helm, John Prine, the Swell Season, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Yim Yames (otherwise known as Jim James of the band My Morning Jacket), Doc Watson and Calexico, among others. Steve Martin, who won a Grammy Award this year for his bluegrass album, will play the opening concert on July 30 at the International Tennis Hall of Fame. The CareFusion Newport Jazz Festival will run the next weekend (Aug. 6-8) with Wynton Marsalis, above left; Herbie Hancock, above right; and Chris Botti, Jamie Cullum, Ahmad Jamal, Mark O'Connor, Jason Moran and Ben Allison. Mr. Wein, 84, who helped found the jazz festival in 1954 and the folk festival five years later, is once again the impresario for both, and at the jazz festival he will perform with Howard Alden, Randy Brecker,Randy Sandke and Bob Brookmeyer. CareFusion, a medical technology company, is also sponsoring Mr. Wein's jazz festival in New York from June 17 to 26. Tickets for the Newport festivals go on sale Friday. More information: newportfolkfest.net or newportjazzfest.net

Is anyone busking in Newport?
-Charles Schulz
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Well good. Not a jazz fan and I don't think they'd approve of busking on the spot so I'll just stay home, thank you.
But I'm glad it's doing well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » It's raining -- Again! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL