The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Psalm 119:105 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Hi folks,

Just thought I'd share a presentation that debuted this weekend.

A volunteer (named Meghan, who I believe was 11 years old) came up on stage. The volunteer was warned that she would need to be brave, and that she must trust me. She agreed to both. Smile

We each picked up the two ends of a piece of string with page-size cardboard letters hanging from masking tape. The letters were D-A-N-G-E-R.
While those in the front rows could see the potential danger, those at the back could not, so it was explained that each of the six pieces of cardboard had 25 thumbtacks sticking through (and taped on the back to avoid loose tacks).

Then I said "and the danger will be greater when Meghan removes her shoes." Meghan's eyes got bigger. She was re-thinking that volunteering thing... (to Meghan) "Oh, I'm sorry: you can only be my volunteer if you trust me -- and I will make sure you won't get hurt." She slowly took off her shoes. Then I said "and the danger will be even greater when Meghan is blindfolded." Meghan's eyes got *really* big! (to Meghan) "You need to trust me -- I will make sure that you are not hurt." She accepted the blindfold.

Then I explained that the six dangerous letters would be put *close to* Meghan's path. And that while blindfolded, she would need to rely on my voice, on my instructions, and on my words to be the light for her path in order to avoid them. As soon as she was blindfolded, however, I signaled to two pre-briefed assistants to be her "spotters" (i.e., their instructions were to ensure that Meghan would NOT get hurt. They never touched her; and she didn't know they were involved.)

I asked the audience to put themselves in Meghan's mind, and feel what she was going through. I told them that I tried her path myself with the blindfold on, and it was difficult enough with no thumbtacks! Then I began to give Meghan careful instructions from the other corner of the stage: around and over(!) the dangerous letters; down one set of stairs and up the other. All the while, the two "angels" were right beside her, being that "just in case" that was never necessary... Finally she arrived at the destination (where I was) to great applause and a token "prize" for her bravery.

When she took off the blindfold she said two very profound things:

"That was scary"
"Now I *really* trust you"

Life can be like that, can't it?
Afterward, I explained that even though I seemed far away from Meghan, and perhaps even uncaring, I had *agonized* over doing this, and took all kinds of precautions so that Meghan would NOT be hurt (there was even a table in an appropriate place so that she could balance herself at the right time). Similarly, God knows that there are dangers in our path, but He SO wants us to succeed unhurt; He sends angels we can't even see to help us; but we need to pay close attention to His words...

peace, Doug

(PS: if you need to be told that all legal responsibility for such a presentation belongs entirely to the performer, please do not even think about performing this yourself Smile )
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Psalm 119:105 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL