The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is clouds the wave of the future (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Should I think twice about buying an ipad?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Ummmmm.... sure.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Nope, cloud computing is what tablets will live off. No bulky hard drive, though it seems even hard drive memory is getting incredibly small and fast. And cloud is not new. It was around 30 years ago.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The real question is: What would you do with an ipad? They are terrific form some people, and they are expensive paperweights for others.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
John
The chairmen of Google was on TV this morning. He said that the tablet is in it's infancy, and the tablets of the not too distant future using clouds will blow the apple tablets away.

My wife wants to be able to read books, and have a small computer of her own, but I think I just talked myself into waiting a year or two.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-05-15 13:30, Al Angello wrote:
Should I think twice about buying an ipad?

Clouds - your trace to all who link/intercept/market/spam/... - your liability - your vulnerability to gross identity abuse. Again - STUPID.

1) not new - been a mainframe thing/notion since conversational mode programming thirty years ago.

2) content is distraction for the most part.

as to the ipad etc - tablets have their uses - and if it would serve you (borrow one from a friend for a few days to explore) I wish you the best it its use.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
You might be able to rent one. I rented a laptop for a month to see if I really wanted or needed a laptop. I went to Rent-A-Center (expensive but cheaper than a purchase).
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Iven & Jonathan
Thanks
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
What's the future of cloud computing? I think Google answered that this week...

Google announces Chromebook, laptop with......e online

Google's Blogspot suffers multi-day outage

If you have valuable data, keep it on a personal drive.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
The one advantage I see to "cloud computing" is that if you back up your data in "the clouds", you can always get it back. Your house burns down, total loss- you can still recover your family photo album and memories.

Best policy, keep a local network hard drive plus a cloud backup.

As for tablets? Totally depends on how much you're going to use it. My wife and I use the iPad all the time- it keeps our son entertained on long road trips, etc. That alone makes it worth it.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'm with Jon on this. Why would I want to store all my data with an unaccountable third party, who over time will surely erode the privacy they promise you for your data? Isn't Facebook bad enough?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm not certain about a tablet. I think I might want one. But since I spend a lot of time on YouTube and Bill Gates has decided that Adobe is evil and iPad won't support Adobe Flash, then if I do get a tablet, it won't be an iPad.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ed
I believe that you are right on the money. Tablet technology is in it's infancy.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I have a laptop and a tablet. I use my laptop every day and haven't used my tablet since February.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I'm with Jon on this one. Why would huge companies offer to put our stuff on their servers unless they had something to gain from it?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Plus you get system and application upgrades whether you want them or not. Right now if you don't like the new browser you can downgrade to the previous version or use a third parties software. I really doubt Google is going to be too keen about allowing unapproved third party software on their hardware. You're locked into what they deem acceptable.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
IPad seems to be primarily a shopping device.
My son, who is frugal to excess, frightened himself at the ease (and addictive qualities) of one-touch purchasing, mostly items suggested by Amazon and Google.

The thing is definitely handy when travelling and there are quite a few useful apps but you won't see me storing any secure info on the cloud in this lifetime. Especially when a 2Tb drive is only $150. Google has absolutely no inclination to secure our data IMHO.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
AndrewJ
View Profile
New user
Travis County, TX
70 Posts

Profile of AndrewJ
Alright... alright...

I don't see an end of personal computing any time soon. Video gamers and content producers will need things like keyboards, mice, and the dedicated tools with which to create their work. Smart phones and tablets are growing into a good niche for casual use.

So, onto storing things in a cloud. Again, the desktop computer will, presumably, be the best place to edit content for quite a long while. I don't doubt that a good touchscreen interface for typing will eventually be made known. For now, 40+ words per minute with tactile response and a full-sized keyboard are going to take a long time to replace. Video editing presumably won't be going anywhere any time soon. The average WiFi connection just isn't fit to upload several gigabytes of HD content, nor is the average cloud platform able to compete with a middle-of-the-road desktop editing package. I can't even imagine the pain of trying to edit audio in such a way.

On the other hand, free services such as Google Docs are becoming very useful. They have even added a respectable amount of support for their Android users. Netbook users should have little or no problems. Amazon has created a cloud-based service for storing your mp3s -- releasing theirs after Google's announcement but before Google got theirs off the ground. Google Music will be doing the same. Upload all of your mp3s from your hard drive and play them over your smart phone from the cloud.

So... "the cloud" is going to depend on what you want to do. If you consume content then things are going to look very promising. If you spend time creating content then it may not be your best solution.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Andrew
I think you just talked me into upgradeing my desk top. I hear lots of good things about the Apple, but that would be like starting all over again. I can use windows effortlessly.

It also looks like my wife would get more service from a lap top than she would get from a tablet.

Andrew you have given me the insight I needed to make an informed decision.
Thanks
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I often think about getting one, and then realize I really don't need it. I have a laptop, netbook, and an android phone. The only thing I really do other than texting and talking on the phone is email, facebook, the occasional web search and gps navigation. Why do I need ANOTHER device that does the same stuff, and is bigger than it needs to be?
-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is clouds the wave of the future (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL