The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Quick Opening Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
459 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Hello everyone,

I'm routining one 20 mins mental magic show but I can not find a good opening.
I'd like it quick and can establish that I'm a mentalist.
I know mental magic need time to build up the atmosphere but I'm wondering if there is any quick opening for mental magic?
Any opinion is welcome.
Thank you very much.

Best,
YuYen
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
In Corinda and PME you can find a few answers.

Whats your character say about mentalism?
Do you have a character?

More moderns sources for openers can be:

Any version of "Bank Night/Just chance"
Mind Demonstrations ( Memory, Maths)
50/50 games

I will PM you
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
For me as a mentalist, a NW has never let me down but if your just portraying your show as "mental magic" then maybe you could open with a card effect of some type, in which I would look into something from jay sankey, he has some great mental magic out there.
How do you want the spectators to see you as? Some one who can really get into their minds?(a mentalist) Or someone who is just performing tricks?(mental magic)

Darren
Twitter @darjames
pourang65
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
192 Posts

Profile of pourang65
For many years I also asked myself before any show what opening effect I have to use, when I realized that the opening effect is actually ME. depending on the show, the place, the people you performing for you can use a little story, talk about psychology, the universe, the mind, even a joke if the place is relevant.

I don't think there's any effect that can be called opener!! All the effects can be done in the beginning, in the middle or the end if they are presented well. Maybe a good and powerful final is more important in my opinion.

Anyways, if you really want something to start with, bob Cassidy's idea of involving the whole audience is a brilliant way to start a show ( it's always impressive with the talent of Bob)

Cheers
Pourang
Cheers
Pourang
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
I realize this is biased, but each opening presentation in the Act-series books will do the job.

Warm regards,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I like that large circle that spins and makes folks heads shrink or grow. I often use that.

J
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
This might possibly fit the bill : ) http://www.MindFool.com
S.WARD
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
251 Posts

Profile of S.WARD
I currently use Bookless Test by Colin Mcleod for my stage opener.
Cristobal
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaga (Spain)
288 Posts

Profile of Cristobal
Quote:
On 2011-05-15 21:13, pourang65 wrote:
For many years I also asked myself before any show what opening effect I have to use, when I realized that the opening effect is actually ME. depending on the show, the place, the people you performing for you can use a little story, talk about psychology, the universe, the mind, even a joke if the place is relevant.

I don't think there's any effect that can be called opener!! All the effects can be done in the beginning, in the middle or the end if they are presented well. Maybe a good and powerful final is more important in my opinion.

Anyways, if you really want something to start with, bob Cassidy's idea of involving the whole audience is a brilliant way to start a show ( it's always impressive with the talent of Bob)

Cheers
Pourang

I second that. In my last stage gig I opened with a little talk and a PK Touches type routine. It sets the mood for the rest of my act very well. This was for a 25 min. act. Besides that, in my full show I open with a number prediction then I do the talk Smile
ChrisWall
View Profile
Regular user
England
139 Posts

Profile of ChrisWall
Major effect. Get everyone involved some how. Depending on your performing circumstances and character will determine the actual 'effect' you choose but the most important thing is to be warm and welcoming. If you get everyone involved or everyone thinking you have their attention and it makes the rest of the job a lot easier.

Corinda also has an effect in his book called "An Opening Effect" look into that maybe?

Chris.
"Have your cake and eat it... there's no other reason to have a cake" - Derren Brown

https://www.chrisreadsminds.co.uk
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2011-07-15 02:39, MrHyde wrote:

Mr Hyde, I must say you have me very interested. The last "fantastic" opener that everyone raved about there fell quite flat for me, so I'm still looking for this crucial effect in this crucial spot. Mr. Hyde's products and releases are always top-notch and highly recommended. I'm excited about this as I'm sure it will soon create a lot of buzz and excitement.
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I tend to use the Technicolor Envelopes. It's fast and funny. See my avatar.

Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
For me personally, it would depend on what I am trying to accomplish. Twenty minutes is not long. I would probably go with a nw routine where a two digit number is predicted or an envelope revelation. Regardless, I would have something that is quick and sets the mood really fast and sets the stage for whatever the next routine and it's desired effect will be. Mattheu bich was recently on Penn and Tellers Fool Us and performed his $*********** routine and it is an amazing piece of magic/mentalism. I have performed that as an opener as it can involve as many people as you want and it plays really big and leaves people simply stunned.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2011-05-15 14:18, unclesamayen wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm routining one 20 mins mental magic show but I can not find a good opening.
I'd like it quick and can establish that I'm a mentalist.
I know mental magic need time to build up the atmosphere but I'm wondering if there is any quick opening for mental magic?
Any opinion is welcome.
Thank you very much.

Best,
YuYen

what have you been doing?
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I should mention that Marc Paul's Summing up is a great opener. It gets audience members involved and if performing on stage, you don't even have to bring them up if you don't want to.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
756 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
I agree about using the opener from Bob Cassidy.

They can't argue that what you do is not real, if they also do it! It's a great way to prove right up front that this "stuff" is possible.

Then go into a spirit possession demonstration.

That's what I would do...

Oh wait, you do mental magic. Nevermind. Disregard my post.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2011-07-15 02:39, MrHyde wrote:

Waiting for this.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
DallasCarter
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of DallasCarter
I just posted this on another thread but I think it fits here as well Smile

I believe that any impromptu effect (highly visual) can be transformed into a 'mentalist' routine if you tell the story right I like to open sometimes with Dan Garcia's 'Pressure', and talk about the ability to manipulate matter (or something along those lines). I do the effect using a b****** and a c******** and it not only blows the minds of the folks I'm working on but gathers a bigger crowd if you are in public. . . . It is such a visual effect that folks in the area stop because well,,,, because they just saw a c******** get put into a b****** !
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Everyone has their own rules about openers. There should be rules. Here are a few I've learned from others.

1) Before your opener, establish who you are, what you do and get the audience to like you. Do that in the first 30 seconds. Do it not and you'll die.

2) With your opening effect, do involve and engage the entire audience. Do it not and you may lose their attention. Then you'll die.

3) If you open with plausible effects, the audience will accept them. Let the happenings of the show grow more and more impossible over time. Open with too strong an effect and you've just killed the belief in the moment necessary for a good mentalism performance and you'll... do you see a pattern here? (Ever see a really dorky special-effect early on in a movie? It takes you out of the moment and reminds you what you're viewing isn't real. People want to believe in the moment so long as we don't put obstacles in their way.) If your early claims are believable to an intelligent adult, your later, more outlandish claims are more likely to be accepted.

Maybe you can "sell" an effect early on that my audience wouldn't buy from me. I used to open with a very funny spoon bending routine (telekinesis). I might open with it still in the future but I haven't in a long time because I know it sets up my performance as a magic show. There's nothing wrong with doing magic shows, nothing at all, but if you want to do a mentalism show you need people to believe (even if only for the duration of the performance). Telekinesis is too strong of an effect for me to open with. You might open with that same routine yet convince people, as Uri Geller did, that you're bending metal with your mind. When I did it I convinced people I was a funny guy with a funny show full of magic tricks. The other problem with the routine was I didn't write it and I never got around to personalizing it.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
DallasCarter
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of DallasCarter
Quote:
On 2011-07-15 17:40, Mike Ince wrote:
Everyone has their own rules about openers. There should be rules. Here are a few I've learned from others.

1) Before your opener, establish who you are, what you do and get the audience to like you. Do that in the first 30 seconds. Do it not and you'll die.

2) With your opening effect, do involve and engage the entire audience. Do it not and you may lose their attention. Then you'll die.

3) If you open with plausible effects, the audience will accept them. Let the happenings of the show grow more and more impossible over time. Open with too strong an effect and you've just killed the belief in the moment necessary for a good mentalism performance and you'll... do you see a pattern here? (Ever see a really dorky special-effect early on in a movie? It takes you out of the moment and reminds you what you're viewing isn't real. People want to believe in the moment so long as we don't put obstacles in their way.) If your early claims are believable to an intelligent adult, your later, more outlandish claims are more likely to be accepted.

Maybe you can "sell" an effect early on that my audience wouldn't buy from me. I used to open with a very funny spoon bending routine (telekinesis). I might open with it still in the future but I haven't in a long time because I know it sets up my performance as a magic show. There's nothing wrong with doing magic shows, nothing at all, but if you want to do a mentalism show you need people to believe (even if only for the duration of the performance). Telekinesis is too strong of an effect for me to open with. You might open with that same routine yet convince people, as Uri Geller did, that you're bending metal with your mind. When I did it I convinced people I was a funny guy with a funny show full of magic tricks. The other problem with the routine was I didn't write it and I never got around to personalizing it.

Mike, on point number three, what about 'explaining' how things work? For example after I do some basic opening effect, I try to 'explain' (ala DB) what I just did. . . I usually make up some strange psychological explanation, etc. That way, the effect is accepted, you can build your character and people feel safe with you because you are 'open' Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Quick Opening Effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL