The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » After the kid's birthday Show do a trick for the adults (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I had a 6 yr old kid's birthday party Show recently, and before leaving home decided to take a pack of cards so I could entertain the adults afterwards. I also took a rat trap for the card to be snatched out from.
After the Kids Show, I did a card find using the plastic rat trap (has a wide platform for the bait, and the spring is a curtain wire kind - With the trap locked open I put three cards put into the trap with one of them to be the chosen card. But which one? I got a volunteer adult to pull out the top card each time. (The chosen card was to be the second card down.) The helper gingerly pulled out first card o.k. When it came to the second card, the rat trap snapped on the card and slightly caught the helper's fingers! She was a bit shocked, but it did point out the real risk involved. Remember, she volunteered to pull out the cards - brave woman!
Overall, it was a hillarious time for the 10 or so adult onlookers and I reckon that it gave them something special to talk about regarding me as an entertainer beyond just doing a Kids Magic Show.
The presentation makes the magic.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Ouch! Was she ok?
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I believe it is important to entertain the adults throughout the entire Kid's Show. I've never been hired or paid by the kid. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Denver, CO
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
Quote:
On 2011-05-15 23:59, MichaelCGM wrote:
I believe it is important to entertain the adults throughout the entire Kid's Show. I've never been hired or paid by the kid. Smile

If I don't get at least one "that was a great show for me!" from an adult, then I consider the show a "flop." maybe next time you could do knife roulette. You Kiwis are an odd sort Smile
Chad Wonder (Chad Wonder Magic, Inc)
Past President SAM 37/IBM 131 (Mile High Magicians)
www.idomagic.com
www.iDOMAGIC.dev
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Hopefully adults are entertained by a good kids' show. But I always have my mini close-up box in the car. Time permitting, I like to offer a quick card trick for older kids before the party starts (nearly always, if there are older kids present, they're either siblings, or helping out, so they tend to be there before the party starts). And if my following show is close-by, or it's the last show of the day, I'll often do a quick - but devastating - mentalism effect on mom and dad before I leave.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
After my show I tend to collect my money and move on to the next show. If the adults want to be entertained, let them pay me for it. If they don't I take it as a signal that they are too busy (especially the party parents) and I don't bug them. I get out of their hair quick when I am finished what they hired me to do.

As an aside, in Ireland the adults generally don't watch the show. But when they do, I put in an effort to ensure they enjoy the experience.

As for using a rat-trap, even a safe one, what if it had broken her nail? No great harm done, but what an impression to leave. Leave the close-up at home when you are doing kids gigs.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Wow cant believe some of what I am reading here

"after the show take my money and move on"

only entertain during the show

if you don't do any magic for the adults after the show then you are missing out on several things

first a kids show SHOULD ALWAYS include one or two adults in the show - kids love watching mom or dad doing some thing silly. this also helps reinforce that YOU the magician are safe and others kids will feel ok to volunteer thus you will get more kids raising their hands and you get more kids to choose from.

second after the show is when the real work begins! this is where I make my money! by entertaining the adults 2 things happen
one- BIGGER TIPS or just getting a tip
two- net working. I can not tell you how many shows I have booked just because I stayed that extra 15 minutes had a little bite to eat that they offered and then did a little magic show just for the adults. it has generated corporate gigs, shchool shows, and more.

its after the show when the parents are in that euphoric state of seeing all the kids happy from your show that you can go above and beyond and really make them feel as though you are doing something special for them.

just this past weekend I saw the mom write the check for the exact amount balance due and then before she could hand it to me I started doing some magic for 2 adults sitting near by. this led to them asking me to perform the trick for some one else which led me to doing a 12 minute set for about 25 adults. then I said my goodbyes and as mom handed me the check I noticed now that there was some green stuff in the fold. got outside and it was 3 $20 bills. all because I stayed an extra 15 minutes.

staying after the show is smart biz! obviously there are times I can not when I am doing a 3 or 4 show day and need to keep moving but I still try to do at least one trick for them after the show.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Sam, in Ireland the parents rarely stay in the room to watch the show, so there is no point to trying to include them. And we are a nation that doesn't tip. You are judging the situation by American standards; I am judging by Irish standards, as I work here.

I don't just grab the money and run (unless I have a second gig to get to - last Saturday I had five). I will chat when time permits. But I don't push my magic on people. I generally find that when I am finished the parents focus on their kids. Not on me.

If you reread the original post he did what appears to be an inappropriate trick, and hurt someone. Not badly, but he wasn't hired to do that. He was hired to entertain the kids.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2011-05-16 00:46, idomagic wrote: If I don't get at least one "that was a great show for me!" from an adult, then I consider the show a "flop."

Exactly, Chad! My kinda guy!!! As for Sam's perspective, that's fine. A guy's gotta do what works best for him. For me, however, my fees are based on a number of factors… length of show being one such factor. I do, occasionally mingle with the adults after set-up, before the show starts, That gives me an opportunity to entice the adult prospects. My selling, though, is in my follow-up letter and materials. Also, in the vast majority of my kid's shows, I'm on at the beginning of the festivities. When I finish, they whisk the kiddies off to open presents, eat cake and ice cream, and whatever other things they have planned. Viva la Pinata! The adults are too busy for post-show mingling, and I'm busy striking my tent and riding off into the sunset. As for tips, I get my fair share, not for adding to my show, but for having a show of a much greater quality than the client expected. But, again, ya gotta do what works best for you.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Michael, I think you are spot on. Do what you are hired to do, do it brilliantly, then move on rather than become a nuisence. That's what gets you back there.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
TonyB I understand wht you are saying about american audiences verses others. however I also do agree that your show should be spectacular!

I charge much more tehn most birthday party magicians in my area and tips come time to time but I have noticed that they are bigger and more frequent when I spend a few minutes doing some BONUS magic. to the client its a free show its above and beyond the above and beyond I already did with the party show, whether it be a birthday or a private party such as a 1st holy communion party.

I will say that yes you need to do what works for you of course! however there is something to be said to going that extra mile and wowing the parents whether I get a tip or not I do know many more ask for a card ask if I do school shows, churches, company picnics thus giving me more time to network and get more gigs.

you see I don't advertise so for me this is my advertising.

I understand your points you made and I hope you undertstand mine:)

as for the original post I would never bring or perform anything that could injure the spectators. especially after the show magic - it should be quick easy and visual.

sam
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1621 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Most times the adults and parents are busy getting the food or BBQ going.
I'm paid to entertain the children. The routines are structered in such a way that adults
who are watching will also be entertained.
Most times the parents would inquire if I have shows that caters to adulst. I will then pass my other business card to them.
TrickyRicky
MrG
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of MrG
"beyond just doing a Kids Magic Show" - I don't understand this statement. Your audience will only think this of you if you think this of yourself.
Bill Knight
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
318 Posts

Profile of Bill Knight
I'm with TonyB on this one as, living in England, I do get adults watching but we are not a tipping country either. I do my best show to the best of my ability and I make it fun. I do get lots of adults wanting to talk to me after the show, while I am packing my gear away and I ALWAYS take the time to chat and be myself, thanking them for their kind comments but, as I do my "sales pitch" in a light hearted way just before I end my show, I don't try to sell at them.
As for the original post, if I was to do any close up afterwards, there is no way on earth that I would do anything like getting someone to trap their fingers in a mousetrap and here's why, we know it's not a real mousetrap, the adults may well suspect that it's not real but any watching children will see someone playing with a mousetrap and not getting hurt and I really wouldn't want to put that idea into a childs mind. For the same reason, I don't do knife through arm, I don't want the kids to try it themselves.

As ever though, I am not trying to tell anyone what to do or how to do it, just offering my oppinion which you are free to ignore if you wish

Have fun
Bill
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
www.magicbill.co.uk
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Ok so maybe its just me! every one keeps saying that the parents are too busy doing some thing after the show. I guess my shows are different as after the show when I finished packing I usually get something to eat (when time allows) and then engage in conversations. most of the parents usualy start the conversation and ask lots of questions which opens the door for me to perform for them.

so to each is his own and do what works for you and always have fun

sam
Richard Shawn
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Richard Shawn
I have seen it both ways. Sometimes the parents are not even interested in the show and just want the kids out of their hair. It's bizzare, but you don't even have to do magic. Just get the kids to laugh and scream the parents hear it and they think you are doing a good job. I don't like these shows. I want the parents to see that they are getting their money's worth from me. Then I have shows where adults sit and watch and participate in the show. I love these, and I always let the birthday child pick the helpers. They love to have this important job and they get to pick adults and other kids to help.

With that said I agree with Sam. I always book shows with enough time apart so I can stay about 15 min extra. For this I usually do some close up coin and card and mentalism work. They love it, although my main purpose is leave everyone wanting more, the tips do come as well. I always make it a point to make napkin roses from the napkins at the party for the young girls 5 and under. I made one for a 3 year old the other day and gave it to her before I left. Mom was holding her, and the little girl adored it. Mom and everyone at the party loved it. I booked three more shows that day all becasue I stayed the 15 mintues.

I always go the extra mile even before the show. I like Sam do not do any advertising. I get my shows from word of mouth. I have been contracted to teach magic seminars at camps and have been paid significant amounts for only a 10 hour run over the entire summer, after school programs and the like. All because of 15 minutes of extra time.

The only thing that is better than that is when a five year old comes up after your show and tells you that you are the second best thing in the world. The first was Dora the explorer. Or when an 8 yr old sees you levitate a ring using Harry Potters spell, and he says, "Oh my God, it really works." That's the reason why I do magic.

Best,

Rich
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I think the UK has a huge variety of client types, largely area-dependent. I certainly receive tips at about half of my shows. Some of my tips are almost as much as others charge for their whole show. Of course, you're more likely to receive a generous tip if your clients are fairly well-off, though it's surprising how many folks with modest homes still like to demonstrate their delight at a successful party, by adding an extra £10 or £20 to the agreed fee.
I agree that when you can, if you can spend just a short while to entertain the adults can bring in much more work, and bigger tips. At least around my area.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Potty, no one tips in Ireland. Having said that, I got five tips in the past two weekends! But I am fairly sure that is it for the year.
Unlike you, I find that the few tips come from the poorer families. The rich get rich by not spreading the lucre.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » After the kid's birthday Show do a trick for the adults (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL