The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does History Exist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
This article is fantastic! Had to break off reading it to tell y'all to click the link.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
A book has been written, in English:

"Have you ever wondered how we really know what year it is? Part detective story, part conspiracy theory, part scientific history, The Lost Millennium explores the astonishing possibility that our calendar is out by a thousand years."

http://www.amazon.ca/Lost-Millennium-His......76976581
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There are many days that I swear never happened, although other people insist they did. I see some validity here! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Interesting idea, for a fantasy novel. Reality though says the guy's a loon. Science easily disproves this crackpot hypothesis.

From Wikipedia

"There are several dating methods which contradict the theory. Observations in ancient astronomy agree with current observations with no 'phantom time' added; for example the end of the Greco-Persian Wars was marked by two solar eclipses within a year and a half; the only possible dates are 2 October 480 BCE and 14 February 478 BCE.[3] Dating methods such as dendrochronology show that the phantom time hypothesis is incorrect, as do records of sightings of Halley's Comet. [4] Furthermore, written records from China's Tang Dynasty, Korea's North South States Period, India's Chalukya and Chola Empires and the Rashidun Caliphate in Asia Minor coincide with the proposed missing years"
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Philip K. Dick and others have covered this concept in Science Fiction.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-05-16 11:46, Payne wrote:
Reality though says the guy's a loon.

Disagree, though I've had only twenty minutes of reading up on the subject. I wouldn't automatically dismiss the idea simply by reading a Wikipedia article. Really, Payne, you can do better than that.

Quote:

...the only possible dates are 2 October 480 BCE and 14 February 478 BCE....

This, for example, is simply ridiculous in its own way, since it has no relevance whatsoever to the theory. Who checks these Wikipedia articles, anyway?

Of course, after a few days of looking into this (and I talked to a colleague today who is a medievalist, and he was interested, so I've sent him a link and am looking forward to how he sees it; but! he did tell me about how widespread forged documents were during the middle ages), and it might very well be that tomorrow or the next day I'll say the theory is ridiculous.

But not now. As far as I have yet read, the theory is based on serious scholarship by credentialed university types. We're not talking black helicopters and burning bushes.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Various forms of this idea have been around for a long time. A number of Russian mathematician, following Anatoly Fomenko, have made similar claims, and call their work the new chronology.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-05-16 12:56, stoneunhinged wrote:

This, for example, is simply ridiculous in its own way, since it has no relevance whatsoever to the theory. Who checks these Wikipedia articles, anyway?

Because we have a historical record documenting the occurence of these two celestial events. If we were missing a three hundred year section of time these extremely rare solar events would have then occured three hundred years earlier. We have a pretty accurate history matching astronomical events to historical. If you erased a three hundred year section these events wouldn't match up. Dendrochronology evidence alone pretty much proves this theory to be false. We have an unbroken record of tree ring data going back 11,000 years. A three hundred year gap would be rather obvious. Not counting the fact that how does one get everybody to go along with the conspiracy? How do you get the Turks, the Mongols, the Vikings, The Goths, the Chinese and all the other peoples of the world to go along with the idea, and for what purpose?
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2443 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
So ... the Rapture isn't really going to come for 297 years?

Drat! And I spent all my life savings on bus ads telling people to get ready for this Saturday!

I feel like such a fool!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Payne, any astronomical (or biological or genetic or whatever) evidence about events 1,000 years earlier than the theorized "phantom" years is irrelevant, period.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Wait a second. I get what you're saying.

Whoops!

Gotta think about this some more.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
This is nothing new. The date depends on where the calendar would place 1 AD. The calendar is considered accurate +/- 6 years (12) total for academic purposes. It is based on the birth of Christ. The Star of Bethlehem has many theories but the Roman census of Ceasar Augustus would place the birth at at approximately 8-6 BC, 2 years before the death of Herod the Great (d.6-4BC) when P. Sulpicius Quirinius would have been in Syria in a leadership role on behest of Augustus.

Once can't insist that Charlemagne or other people never existed as there is proof of his and their existence.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16203 Posts

Profile of tommy
History is not new?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Just try to imagine how we know that Alexander the Great died 2434 years ago. Think of all the fragmentary bits of evidence that make up our historical record, and try to imagine how it could possibly be accurate.

Historians are freaking amazing.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
They also argue about what the fragments mean all the time.
:)
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5018 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-05-16 11:46, Payne wrote:
Interesting idea, for a fantasy novel. Reality though says the guy's a loon. Science easily disproves this crackpot hypothesis.

From Wikipedia

"There are several dating methods which contradict the theory. Observations in ancient astronomy agree with current observations with no 'phantom time' added; for example the end of the Greco-Persian Wars was marked by two solar eclipses within a year and a half; the only possible dates are 2 October 480 BCE and 14 February 478 BCE.[3] Dating methods such as dendrochronology show that the phantom time hypothesis is incorrect, as do records of sightings of Halley's Comet. [4] Furthermore, written records from China's Tang Dynasty, Korea's North South States Period, India's Chalukya and Chola Empires and the Rashidun Caliphate in Asia Minor coincide with the proposed missing years"

Okay Mr. Big Scientist Guy, if you're so smart how do you account for the missing 1960s?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-05-17 00:02, landmark wrote:

Okay Mr. Big Scientist Guy, if you're so smart how do you account for the missing 1960s?

It's all relative as they seem only missing for you.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2011-05-16 23:35, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Just try to imagine how we know that Alexander the Great died 2434 years ago. Think of all the fragmentary bits of evidence that make up our historical record, and try to imagine how it could possibly be accurate.

Historians are freaking amazing.

John

History is amazing. I have a BA in History and finished my Masters in Archaeology last year. The last six months, I have been back and forth from Israel on an excavation at the Tel Dor site with the Hebrew University in Jerusalem through a joint venture witht the Emery and University of Georgia anthro/archaeology depts. Plotting the site for the up coming digs and recording the finds coming out of it from the last round. Most of the items found were broken pieces of pottery coming from a new area in the site. Pottery is usually the first items found. Slow and tedious work but extremely fascinating.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Payne-

Don't know about that. I can't recall the 60's either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does History Exist? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL