The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » In half, to much for children? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rashkenes
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville NC
29 Posts

Profile of Rashkenes
I have a birthday gig coming up and was wondering if performing in half by Andrew mane as my finale would be to much for them. Age group is 7 to 10 and I need a cheap finale that wont break the bank. Any ideas?
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
391 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Kids at that age can see the trick. But I only know the trick from Youtube and don´t know how easy or difficult it is to perform the illusion at birthday parties. Please let us know here if possible.
Rashkenes
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville NC
29 Posts

Profile of Rashkenes
Not difficult to perform just worried about age appropriateness?
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
This is the modern art with cardboard boxes right??

I think your fine for this age group. there is no knife and major danger looking type stuff. not to mention that these kids get to watch rated R movies which just frys my brain. they see much more dangerous stuff on tv then what you will do

I would like to ask if you do this to post back as to how it went.

one note - you might want to prep the kids before you do this as once you are in you cant really control the kids and some may be tempted to get up and run behind you to look. so maybe set up some kind of bountries before you start maybe even putting up a small chain or magic zone tape so that they can not cross the line.

good luck

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I think it's a great finale but, as Sam noted, I can practically guarantee that the kids will rush the stage to peek unless you have older kids or adults primed to keep them in their seats. Good illusion choice.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
It is not age in-appropriate, so don't worry. Kids are very resiliant, and know the difference between a trick and a real mad slasher. They will love it - if they don't rush you and spoil it all!
Best of luck with it. I like the idea of someone pushing the boat out a bit. Let us know how it goes.
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Denver, CO
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
Make sure you have security. There is a slim chance in you know where that the kids will stay seated. I would just ask. Parent and then tell the kids that while you in this "condition" they need to be very still to help you make the magic happen, or something like that. Good trick. It's an awfully big trick, I hope your at a Rec center or a hall. Good luck!
Chad Wonder (Chad Wonder Magic, Inc)
Past President SAM 37/IBM 131 (Mile High Magicians)
www.idomagic.com
www.iDOMAGIC.dev
David Waldorf
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
132 Posts

Profile of David Waldorf
I'm a little out of the loop; where is this trick or routine sold?
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to believe anything you hear and only half of what you see?

From a Roy Rogers movie
Rashkenes
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville NC
29 Posts

Profile of Rashkenes
Most online retailers will have the DVD, I use penguin magic.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
David -

One thing that will help you in your search is the correct spelling of the creator's name. It's Andrew Mayne (not Mane). There's an accidental typo in the first post.

I did a google search for the trick last night and watched the demo video.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Rashkenes
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville NC
29 Posts

Profile of Rashkenes
I'm about to go do my show I'll report back on how in half goes. Wish me luck!
Ash
Rashkenes
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville NC
29 Posts

Profile of Rashkenes
So show was good for the first half, second half I lost control of the children and the ran rampant all over me. Barely made it to the finale. Tried to wrangle them back in but it didn't go so well and one of them wondered off to the side and blew my cover. It was.... Bad. The parents had a great time but it just drove on to long to hold here attention.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Bummer. Inwas rooting for you! I had a show a few days ago where the kids went crazy. The parents didn't help but I chose effects carefully to get them back to a good group of kids again. It is very difficult when you get a rowdy group BUT I actually enjoy it when they are a little crazy. I tend to have more fun and they tend to also.

When I do an effect where kids need to stay seated (like the chair suspension) I tell the kids and parents that I need everyone to be very quiet and stay in their seats. This next effect can be very dangerous by staying in your seats it will keep both me and you safe. This really gets the parents attention and also the kids. I even ask them to slide back from me a little further just incase something goes wrong. I then say, Mom, Dad, are you ready. Again, gets their attention and the importance that the kids stay seated. Then I ask the kids if they are ready. Then I perform the trick. At times I will remind them of the rules while performing the trick right begore before I go into the illusion.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
377 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Sounds like a great experience and wonderful lessons learned.
ade
View Profile
New user
Singapore
85 Posts

Profile of ade
I performed my version of Modern Art which I called Yoyo-in-half for a family show last year. I did away with the sword parts and 'sawed myself in half' while doing yo-yo at the same time to great applause from the family crowd. I didn't see any traumatized kids (as far as I could tell) after the show, and everyone was talking about it - especially the older kids! So I don't think there's any big problem with this effect for the children (especially the slightly older ones) but do agree that if you're doing it at birthday party, you're more than likely to get the whole horde of kids running up to you while the effect is ongoing. For mine, it was in an auditorium so there was no problem, but for parties, you'd definitely need an assistant!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » In half, to much for children? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL