The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Remote or Animatronic Clock Puppet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I'm working on a new one-man storytelling show and I have all of my remote characters except one: A clock. A grandfather or cuckoo clock that keeps actual time and verbally alerts the storyteller to the various phases of the show. I plan on building this critter, but I have a few questions I'd like to ask you experts before I proceed:

1) My plans call for constructing the prop from foam with a faux wood finish for ease of transport. Do you have a stiff foam or other lightweight yet sturdy material suggestion? I'd really rather stay away from latex.

2) The figure's speaking ability must either be controllable remotely from the storyteller's chair or a programmable animatronic that will activate at specified intervals. I'm familiar with speech chips and I have a random winker and a robotic sensor that will allow the levered eyes to follow the storyteller's movement around the stage to display "interest."

3) The mouth is a simple "card through slot" arrangement similar to the Axtell Drawing Board. I plan to use a simple joystick push-pull servo unless you have a better suggestion.

The clock would be operated across a small stage from the storyteller. The storyteller will generally be seated in a classic wood rocking chair.

My goal is to create interactive characters in the show without relying on a behind-the-scenes puppeteer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated from you robotic or RC pros! I am a total robotic/RC novice - but, I'm learning FAST! Thanks!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
One way of making a very light but also very strong foam structure is to make a composite sandwich. This is a core of styrofoam with fiberglass and epoxy on both sides. You could make it even lighter by using carbon fiber but it is much more expensive and more difficult to work with. Search on "composite construction" and you should find info. youtube videos are also available. A good book on the topic is "Advanced Composite Techniques". Bluepoint engineering has animatronic kits and parts.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
You know, Oliver, I worked one summer in a fiberglass boat shop on Lake Erie - and the thought of composites never entered my mind. Thanks!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
dazarooney
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of dazarooney
How have you been getting on with this?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Remote or Animatronic Clock Puppet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL