The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » End Of The World! May 21, 2011 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..17~18~19 [Next]
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I know they were on one talk show and it was very obvious. They were even asked about it point blank but they refused to answer. They wouldn't even act like they had been asked point blank. So that tells you something right there. I don't remember what show it was. It was much earlier on just after they had made their false claim of the end of the world being on it's way.

I've read other things about them too where it's obvious. But I don't have time to dig up any links. The articles may still be around so if people so desire they can take the good amount of time it will take to hunt those down. I would but I don't have time.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-18 00:53, RS1963 wrote:

I've read other things about them too where it's obvious. But I don't have time to dig up any links. The articles may still be around so if people so desire they can take the good amount of time it will take to hunt those down. I would but I don't have time.

Well, if you ever have the time, I would love to see a link.

The only thing I can find that even brings up the possibility of them making money off of this says the exact opposite of what you do.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011......dio.html

Richard Ascough, a professor in the School of Religion at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont., has been watching Family Radio's campaign, and fully expects life as we know it to continue on May 22.

He has seen other apocalyptic predictions come and go, but Family Radio's differs in a notable way: it isn't accompanied by a bold, up-front request for money. And that's worrisome, in his mind.

"I think they really believe it's going to happen," Ascough said in an interview Tuesday.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
8 11 501 1
500 2 7 12
3 503 9 6
10 5 4 502

Quote:
On 2011-05-17 21:32, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I think they came up with the date by using a magic square.

"See no matter how you add it up it totals 521, 521..., 5 21 which means May 21!" You can't argue with logic like that...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I'm guessing May 21st will go down much in the same way January 1st, 2000 did. Remember all the chaos that occurred when the clocks struck midnight? Yeah, neither do I. Smile

Devin - glad to know I'm safe either way! I will of course report back to the Café from the mother land, or aboard whatever space ship these people claim to be the mode of transportation to get there. I just hope there's a Starbucks on the way.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
LET'S PARTY ON THE 23RD. OK!!!!

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
FROM THE SAME ARTICLE
Billboards are popping up around the globe, including in major Canadian cities, proclaiming May 21 as Judgment Day. "Cry mightily unto GOD for HIS mercy," says one of the mounted signs from Family Radio, a California-based sectarian Christian group that is sending one of its four travelling caravans of believers into Vancouver and Calgary within the next 10 days.

And then that predicted Judgment Day doesn't come.

"We've seen that happen in groups before, and then people are just wiped out, not just emotionally because it didn't happen, but financially," said Ascough. "Some people, it's led to them taking their own lives when they realize what they have done." (exactly what I said I was afraid of earlier)

Family Radio identifies itself on its website as a "non-profit, non-commercial, Christian radio network" set up in 1958 with one FM station in the San Francisco Bay area. From that station bought by Harold Camping and two others "with the sole intent of proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ," it has grown to a network of 66 stations through the U.S. It also broadcasts its programming internationally.

Some published estimates have put its net worth at $120 million or more.

"To have that kind of revenue base, if that's correct, suggests there must be quite a few listeners," said Ascough.

You don't raise that money unless you have millions of listeners who believe what you are saying.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
From what I've read, the stations operate exclusively on donations from listeners.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
It takes a LOT of listeners to have a worth of $120 million. The article also said:
"Once it gets mocked on The Simpsons, you know it's taken hold," said Ascough.

Ascough sees both a cultural fascination with end-of-the-world scenarios and a fascination with the Bible behind the appeal that religious groups such as Family Radio can hold for followers.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-18 02:22, Devin Knight wrote:

It takes a LOT of listeners to have a worth of $120 million. The article also said:
"Once it gets mocked on The Simpsons, you know it's taken hold," said Ascough.

The Simpsons reference was not to the May 21 prophecy specifically, but to the entire 'End of Days' thing: "Family Radio is hardly the first group to predict the end. Movies, literature and television have told tales of a coming apocalypse, in many forms."

Based on what I have read, the VAST majority of listeners of Family Radio are NOT believers in the May 21 thing.

The radio station was set up in 1958 and making money LONG BEFORE the end of day May 21 prophecy started.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Devin, you've said a few times that you are curious how Mr Camping will get out of it. The answer is: in one of the usual ways. One way is to admit a miscalculation, but he's probably in too deep for that. He'll probably choose the "new revelation" method, which will be to say that due to the worthiness and energy of him and his followers, the world will be spared yet again. Many, if not most, of his followers will accept the explanation. Then another date will eventually be set, and the whole incident will reaffirm that they know the truth. The "new revelation" proves the worthiness of the prophet.

I mean, how many times has this happened before? About once a week back in the 19th century.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
My guess is that on and after the 21st they will interpret ANY natural disaster, political upheaval, etc. as a sign that the Judgement has begun, thus prolonging things as we move to October. Slowly it will dawn on them that what is happening is what's always happening anyway and the disillusionment will begin.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Bob, you ain't much of a mind reader if you give us your guess. Smile Stop "guessing". Smile

There is a LOT of precedent for this (I'm too busy to look it up right now, but believe me, it's common). NEVER does wide-spread disillusionment begin. Most of the believers will still believe.

And the Kool-Aid incident was something else entirely. Most of the cults do not end up killing themselves (though many do, for that, too, is much more common than most would think).
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Duck Hunters have been practicing for this fly over for decades.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-608341?hpt=Sbin

During the past week, ads announcing a "Global Earthquake" on May 21, 2011 have popped up in New York City bus shelters. subway station platforms and cars.

According to local news reports, Robert Fitzpatrick. a retired NYC transit worker and Staten Island resident, has spent about $140.000 in the ads, what they call most of his life savings.

The ads also promote a self-published book by Fitzpatrick. "The Doomsday Code".

According to him, it all points to doomsday events coming up on May 21, 2011.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Whats interesting is that TV reporters have been interviewing people all over the the US who are handing out stuff about the 21st. Not one of the people interviewed sounded like a fool. All of them were educated and articulate people who really believe in this and are trying to warn others. A good number of these people have spent their life savings over the last few months believing this will happen. I thought only people who join cults could actually get sucked into stuff like this. Is life really that bad that people want and are looking forward to all of it ending?
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Harold Camping is NOT the only one to determine that May 21 is the start of the end. I did some checking on Robert Fitzpatrick. He wrote a book about it, available from Amazon. Don't order it, the world will end before you can get it in the mail.
http://www.amazon.com/Doomsday-Code-Robe......09571215

Mankind has only one book that can prove itself to be the word of God. That book is the Bible. God took over 1,500 years to write it and now, more than 1,900 years after its completion, God has "unsealed" the Bible to reveal astonishing secrets it contains. The Bible tells us in Ecclesiastes 8:5: Whoso keepeth the commandment shall feel no evil thing: and a wise man's heart discerneth both time and judgment. God has promised to reveal not only the time when He will bring judgment on the earth, but also the nature of that judgment. In our day, God is using His ambassadors to warn the world that its time is almost over, and that they must be reconciled to Him or face the evil He is about to bring: five months of hell on earth. In The Doomsday Code, you will learn: • Why and when the earth was created. • What happens to a person who dies. • What the Bible reveals about conditions in today's local congregations of Christian churches, and what terrible thing happened there in recent history. • How we can know that Judgment Day begins on May 21, 2011 with a great earthquake, and that the last day of the earth's existence will be October 21, 2011. • What will happen to you if God has not saved you by May 21, 2011. • Which groups of people God will punish more severely during the five months of Judgment Day. • Whose countdown for the nation of Israel began on May 14, 1948. • How we can turn back our calendar to determine the date of the Crucifixion. The author is retired and lives in New York City.

So now we have TWO prophets. I know the bible speaks of two witnesses in the last days. Are these these two guys what the bible refers to.

TWO DIFFERENT PROPHETS with the same message...hmmm...can they both be wrong? YES!

He claims to know WHICH people God will punish more severely during the five months of Hell on earth. I sure hope it isn't phony psychics. If so I am in a LOT of trouble!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Ah Sunday the 22nd! Humiliation unleashed at full power. Vans and Billboards will scream CONFIRMED stupidity. Idiots, who gave away thier homes and bank accounts, will have devistated their families, yet the old fool in Oakland will still be allowed to spit his poison unscathed with some lame excuse...if he doesn't suck on an exaust pipe, terminally shamed for being a public dumbass.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Balducci is correct, this is little more than a curiosity except to devoted Harold Camping followers.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Wouldn't surprise me if they had a 'Kool Aid' social on that morning.

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » End Of The World! May 21, 2011 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL