The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Performance rights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
Is there some sort of database or site that lists which illusions require performance rights to perform them? How does one obtain rights?
Wes
P.S. Where are the smilies for the message board posts?
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
You can check on Zigmont's web site. He has information concerning who owns the rights to certain illusions. Of course, no single resource will have everything, your best bet is that if there's a specific illusion you're interested in, to contact the inventor (if possible) of that piece. If you need any further help, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
AmazingA
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
151 Posts

Profile of AmazingA
http://www.zigmont.com/backstage.html That's the link, just in case you haven't found it.

A
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Just how much of these principles are new and how much are just reworkings of old material. Zigmont's site would do well to use pictures so that there was no doubt about what illusion is being referred to.

As a performer I can't see any reason to spend those high dollar amounts if you can create it yourself. I guess its my low budget approach.
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
True you could build them for yourself and save yourself some serious cash. However much of the magic community has suffered at one time or another when a person decided to rip off someone else's hard work that they had spent a lifetime building for their show or to work it to build it for others.

The copies of these items have many times been very inferior. Its the ethics involved. Do you think you can make your television better than what the manufacturer could? Or do you think you could build a new car from scratch better than the manufacturer.

And if you think that its ok to get the rip offs and support the copy cats then I ask you something that I have heard Mac King say "Is it alright if I come into your house and take your television and your surround sound?"

Robert Long
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
As far as principles or reworked of old material. We are talking about ethics and using other peoples material. This is the standards that professionals follow.

I can assure you that my list is the only updated list of its kind. I gave the magic auction permission to put it up on there site. I do not build anything. I am an Illusionist. The list is not influenced by any builder.

This list is meant for professional to research illusion rights. The lists have been sent for review by the builders.

The builders listed that are the inventor choice for a builder or the first builder to make said effect.

You get what you pay for as far as using a professional builder or do a project yourself.

The list assumes that you have a knowledge of illusions

As a performer I want to use the best illusions possible.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Robert,

An ironic choice of screen name considering the topic being discussed, however, although I do not rip off illusions nor do I condone it, you have compared apples to oranges in your assertion.

It is not like building one's own television or automobile, it is more akin to hiring a cabinet maker or a licensed contractor as opposed to putting on that new addition or refurbishing the kitchen cabinets yourself.

I would not begrudge Joe Illusionist who does three big shows a year, a blue and gold, the church fundraiser, and the Elks club from doing a version of (fill in the blank with your favorite illusion). He is not in any kind of competition with someone who does this professionally.

His monstrosity is not practical, can't be moved or transported easily and I feel sorry for both his assistant and his audience, but you know, I understand.

He is never going to get an illusion from John Gaughn, Jim Steinmeyer, Owen or even Abbott's for that matter, and when he turns pro (if ever) he will have a bonfire with his "illusions" and go for the best he can afford.

I can't get all hyped up about the performance rights, I don't know why. I consider myself an ethical person but in the relative importance of things, it just doesn't register.

Sorry if I have stepped on any toes out there.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Almost NO illusions have performance "rights", since most inventors (Tenyo being an exception) don't legally protect their stuff. No legal protection, no RIGHTS.

Now, if you feel morally obligated, that's another thing. But most of the "performance rights" and fees you're asked to pay have no legal basis since they are not legally owned -- unless protection is legally applied for via patents, copyright, etc.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Performances are very important as well as patents are too. People put hard work into their creations so they deserve to have their creations protected.
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Under another topic within Grand Illusion ---

-- Creative Rights when a Company TANKS! --

There are several posts which could have been in this topic. Please give them a look.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
A while back a magician from out of town (but local) performed a version of Franzs' cutting in 9 on a local TV station. His version had an almost identical air brushed figure on the front, however, it divided the girl in 5, and everything was oversize, thereby exposing the method.

When you buy rights, even if you don't go to a specific builder I am sure you will receive the correct details from the "inventor", method of operation and suggested routine.

Blair Marshall

-----------------------------------------------------------
Further to my comment above take a look at the "Samurai Box" on:

http://www.leealex.com/

In the Gallery/Photos there are two photos of it. Would like to hear your comments.

Blair Marshall
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Here is a question. There is a gimmick on the market, has been for a while, the manufacturer made this gimmick from a lecture and in the instructions makes reference to the originators idea.

The originator of the "effect" did not manufacture the gimmick. I'm not sure if the instructions were in his notes nor do I know if they were copyrighted. (Of course copyright does not protect inventions nor ideas.)

Now the originator has started to make their own version, as they did not like the quality of the first manufacturer.

Finally to the question, who is the "rip off" offender in this case?

In my opinion the person that came up with the idea had no rights to stop the person that manufactured the items as there was no patent. Which is the case of most magic items.

I think that the originator of the idea, the second manufacture, is the “rip off” culprit in this case, especially since they did not make the item available, nor did they patent the item.

Kent
Paul Hughes
View Profile
Regular user
UK
123 Posts

Profile of Paul Hughes
Ugh! What a horrid version of the Origami! You could park an elephant in that table. Part of the genius of the Origami is "the moving part" and the real reason for the mirror at the back (being vague so as not to expose!), which so many rip off builders miss. Wonder why John Gaughan's version is so much more deceptive.

- Paulie.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
That's' it Paul. Is it an Origami?? Has the method been modified enough? When would it be! If same look, but presented on a full-size drum illusion base, would this be the same illusion???

Don't answer (in case of a reveal) but makes you think!!

Read the posting on my show name and rights.

Whats' in a name....."ShaZzam!"

Blair Marshall
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Performance rights (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL