The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Strauss-Kahn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2513 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 13:57, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 13:28, RS1963 wrote:

Here is an over looked fact. What was the name of the horse that Mohamed ascended to heaven on? Barak.

I think your over looked fact may be a little off.

Barack means Blessed. Barack is of African origin, and is a form of the Hebrew name Baruch. Baruch is also the name of one of the Catholic deuterocanonical scriptural texts.

Borak is of Arabic origin, and means "the lightning". Al Borak or Al-Burâq was the name of the heavenly winged horse.


And if you change the 'k' to a 't' then it is obvious that Borat is the anti-Christ.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers


"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Ah ok. that does make sense Balducci. Critter you keep coming up with the showstoppers. Lol another good one.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Let me take this thread back to the subject of the arrest of DSK, and also to a higher level.

Whatever you might think this sordid episode says about the qualities of the leading men of our generation, we are still privileged to live in a society, and at a time, when a crime committed by one of the high-and-mighty against a foreign chambermaid could bring down all of the force of the impartial law.

I daresay that would not have been the case for most of the preceeding two or three thousand years of recorded history.

So as they say in New York, Excelsior!

Woland
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Good point Woland. Remember Mel Brooks' Louis XIV as he shtupped the chamber maid in "The History of the World Part II"? "It's good to be King!"

Bob
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Didn't remember the exact circumstances of that immortal quote. Thank you for your kind notice, but I could have put it even more forcefully: what a wonderful time to be alive, when an outrage committed against a chambermaid by one of the elite is in fact a crime at all.

Woland
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
If DSK is convicted, would he be eligible to transfer to a prison in France and serve his time there (provided France agrees to take him). Or would he be stuck in an American prison (at U.S. taxpayer's expense)?

I know the U.S. and Canada have an agreement for prisoners in one to be sent home to the other to serve their time (provided both governments agree). So I am wondering if the U.S. does the same thing with France.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 14:06, Woland wrote:
Let me take this thread back to the subject of the arrest of DSK, and also to a higher level.

Whatever you might think this sordid episode says about the qualities of the leading men of our generation, we are still privileged to live in a society, and at a time, when a crime committed by one of the high-and-mighty against a foreign chambermaid could bring down all of the force of the impartial law.

I daresay that would not have been the case for most of the preceeding two or three thousand years of recorded history.

So as they say in New York, Excelsior!

Woland


I thought Excelsior is highly flammable packing material. Kurt Vonnegut made fun of a fire-extinquisher company that called itself "Excelsior"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Ah, when ordinary products had such wonderful, mellifluous names . . . of course they were not ordinary products, they were remarkable . . . many of them were named for the ports from which they were shipped . . . "Manila" fiber . . . . Sisal . . . and of course Moka and Java . . . . but there were also raffia . . . and coir . . . and excelsior, or "wood wool" . . . according to the infallible Wikipedia, it was already know as excelsior when 15 patents were filed for it by 1876 . . . the term in used as early as 1856 but first credited by the O.E.D> in an 1868 patent . . . and it is the traditional stuffing used for teddy bears . . .

As for whether the State of New York would allow DSK to serve his term in France, I think that is highly dubious, since the presumption would be that he would be granted special privileges, I think.

Meanwhile, his agents are said to be trying to bribe his victim's impoverished family, in order to persuade her to change their story, but New York's Finest are reportedly confident they can proceed to trial even without her testimony . . .
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2513 Posts

Profile of critter
Isn't "Excelsior!" Stan Lee's catch phrase?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers


"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
It wouldn't surprise me, since I think he grew up in New York.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-26 11:41, critter wrote:
Isn't "Excelsior!" Stan Lee's catch phrase?

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the word in this thread, and yes it was.

Apparently "Excelsior!" is also the New York state motto. (I think Woland was alluding to that above.)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Yes, "ever upwards," or something like that. I thought New York could be very proud of 1)the hotel personnel, and 2)the police, and 3)the culture of justice and fairness which makes a reality of the equality of all persons before the majesty of the law that the people have made. This is not the story of a sordid sex crime, it is a demonstration that our civilization has reached a pinnacle to which countless millions of people have yearned in vain through dark centuries of feudal, seigneurial oppression.

Excelsior! Indeed.

W/
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-26 13:07, Woland wrote:

Yes, "ever upwards," or something like that. I thought New York could be very proud of 1)the hotel personnel, and 2)the police, and 3)the culture of justice and fairness which makes a reality of the equality of all persons before the majesty of the law that the people have made. This is not the story of a sordid sex crime, it is a demonstration that our civilization has reached a pinnacle to which countless millions of people have yearned in vain through dark centuries of feudal, seigneurial oppression.

I'm also waiting to hear how the other rich and powerful versus maid story pans out. It seems that more revelations about his behavior are being outed every day.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/articl......security
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
"Weinergate" does not rise to the level of the Strauss-Kahn case, so to speak, but it did prompt a thoughtful comment this morning from Professor Glenn Reynolds:

Quote:
I think there’s an important point in the comic value: The people who think they’re smart enough, and morally superior enough, to run everyone else’s lives are risible. They’re not smart enough, and they’re actually, overall, morally inferior — I mean, John Edwards, DSK, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Barney Frank, Tax Cheat Tim Geithner, just go down the list — and mocking them is inherently valuable. They pursue power, and they exercise power, as much for deference as anything else. Deny them that, and make it painful for them whenever possible. That’s my take.


He links to an excellent essay by "Theodore Dalrymple" that is well worth reading.

Woland
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
My apologies, that essay is by Timothy Dalrymple, not Theodore. Quite a different author, but still worth reading.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4732 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 10:09, Woland wrote:
"Weinergate" does not rise to the level of the Strauss-Kahn case, so to speak, but it did prompt a thoughtful comment this morning from Professor Glenn Reynolds:

Quote:
I think there’s an important point in the comic value: The people who think they’re smart enough, and morally superior enough, to run everyone else’s lives are risible. They’re not smart enough, and they’re actually, overall, morally inferior — I mean, John Edwards, DSK, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Barney Frank, Tax Cheat Tim Geithner, just go down the list — and mocking them is inherently valuable. They pursue power, and they exercise power, as much for deference as anything else. Deny them that, and make it painful for them whenever possible. That’s my take.




Woland

Bah, sounds like that Alinsky character.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
But landmark, you know that Alinsky was a "small c" communist. His criticism of the men who happened to be in power was never intended to return us to a truly free and Constitutional system. The end result of his "community organizing" would be Lyubyanka, Vasili Blokhin, and the Archipelag Gulag.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4732 Posts

Profile of landmark
Alinsky is constantly criticized by the right for his supposed tactics. it's just nice that Reynolds agrees with them. But I understand, it's only the right that's allowed to ridicule. All others will be arrested for joking or dancing.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Ridicule is only one of Alinsky's tactics. And it is not only his tactics which are objectionable, it is his overall aim, and of course the fact that, like Roger Baldwin of the ACLU, he concealed that aim as a necessary part of his strategy to achieve his airm.

But more importantly, although it isn't a new case, we should also mention Johnny Reid Edwards in the context of this discussion.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4732 Posts

Profile of landmark
Understood, only your aims are noble.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Strauss-Kahn (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL