The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "A theory based on a guess . . . that is now a known falsehood" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 14:45, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 10:46, Woland wrote:
The best of all possible sources of sufficient energy to power the world's economy is nuclear power. Since fusion power is not on line, that means fission power. A proven, tested, clean energy source.

Woland

Proven? Clean? Did you miss the recent unpleasantness in Japan?

I think Woland just volunteered to have that troublesome radioactive waste buried in his own backyard!
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 14:45, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 10:46, Woland wrote:
The best of all possible sources of sufficient energy to power the world's economy is nuclear power. Since fusion power is not on line, that means fission power. A proven, tested, clean energy source.

Woland

Proven? Clean? Did you miss the recent unpleasantness in Japan?

By the way, in case anyone missed this ... Remember how we were all told that a meltdown in that reactor in Japan was an impossibility, never happen, the technology was too good, etc. This went on for weeks after the earthquake / disaster.

Two months later, TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company) announces that fuel in reactor number 1 melted down within several HOURS of the earthquake.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/15_21.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Well, it appears that a reactor at Fukushima melted down . . . and the dreaded "China Syndrome" id not occur. Even an outmoded, inefficient, unsafe nuclear plant could withstand a tsunami without destroying Japan . . . amd of the most elementary safety precautions had been observed, probably nothing would have happened at all . . .

The point is not that nuclear power is abolutely clean or absolutely safe . . . but it is demonstrably cleaner and safer that coal . . . or oil . . . or even windmills . . .

Woland
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20525 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Power generation is a dirty businese.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 15:38, Woland wrote:

Well, it appears that a reactor at Fukushima melted down . . . and the dreaded "China Syndrome" id not occur.

I don't recall anyone ever predicting a "China Syndrome" in this case. But feel free to keep moving the goalpost.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
No, it isn't moving the goalpost, balducci; as is the case with AGW, the opponents of nuclear power base their case, emotionally at least, on the fear that a nuclear accident will lead to a world-changing catastrophe. If the disasters that befall nuclear plants are of the same order of magnitude as those that befall coal mines, oil refineries, and so forth, then there is really no particular reason to avoid the future.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 16:12, Woland wrote:

If the disasters that befall nuclear plants are of the same order of magnitude as those that befall coal mines, oil refineries, and so forth, then there is really no particular reason to avoid the future.

Same order of magnitude? I don't recall ever reading about 185,000 people being evacuated, and tens of thousands being resettled, over a coal mining or oil refinery disaster.

I'm not against nuclear power ... but some of your claims are absurd.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20525 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That movie did indeed change the way people view the industry.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "A theory based on a guess . . . that is now a known falsehood" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL