The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which growing head illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ezzet
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweden
391 Posts

Profile of Ezzet
Im gonna buy the growing and shrinking head illusion and was wondering if top hats
plastic version is good cause the only other ones I find are bruce kalvers extreme version
which I don't need cause I don't perform on big stages.

Thanks for your help
Ezzet
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Top Hat IS Bruce Kalvers site. He made the plastic version so it is more durable than the original cardboard version he first came out with. I open most of my shows with it. You GOTTA get one Smile
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I'd also be interested to know if there was a version suitable for living rooms. I have the cardboard version by Kalver which is great for stage. I've also seen close up versions in toy/gadget shops so there must be something between the two that works at about 2-10 feet?
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
I use both, but the large one just kills audiences....the small one could work in smaller venues but not too sure about the living room area...
Bill
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1239 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I have the large plastic version and it works great on stage. I use a portable electric screwdriver to make it spin.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
I've been using the Kalver stage version for years, and it kills! Last week I found a close-up version that you spin on a table, and then you tell the spec to stare at their hand, but when I try it on myself the fingers on my hand don't get larger or smaller, but they do morph in some strange way which is hard to describe. Still experimenting with it... it's called SPIRAL METAL ILLUSION, and it's made of steel.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3248 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
Last week I found a close-up version that you spin on a table, and then you tell the spec to stare at their hand, but when I try it on myself the fingers on my hand don't get larger or smaller, but they do morph in some strange way which is hard to describe

This was originally released as Jerry Andrus's Tri-Zonal Space Warper. Stevens now lists a version as SPRIAL METAL ILLUSION. The description says it make your head grow which clearly it does not. It creates a wobbling illusion on the back of your hand.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Hawkins bizzare in the UK sell the close up version. They supply you with a plastic rabbit as well which you are suposed to look at after the spiral to see it grow.

The first time I ever saw this illusion was as an animation on the computer. And yes it did trippy things to my hand. Although I think it is the same thing. I think in the stage version if you looked at your hand rather than the performers head the same thing would happen.

I think the spiral needs to be roughly about the size of the thing you want to grow. Which means to perform this in a living rooom not only will I need a smaller spiral I'll also need a smaller head.
knick23
View Profile
New user
Wales
83 Posts

Profile of knick23
All considered (without actually buying this thing), I gather that this could easily be made with a printout of a spiral glued onto one of those cheap hand held fans. If this is correct then lookout for my new DVD - 'FanHeadGro 2.0' retails for £40 (cheap!).
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3248 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
The Tri-Zonal Space Warper has three different zones with the spiral alternating direction. It produces the wobbling illusion. Steel Sprial illusion is the same at Stevens.

The growing head illusion is a simple spiral. Grows or shrinks heads depending on direction.

The small version with the rabbit is also a simple spiral. Thus it makes the rabbit grow or shrink depending on direction.

Yes you can make your own but the Bruce Kalver has already done all the work for you and produces an amazing plastic version. You can also get a motor which spins at the optimum speed to produce the illusion:

http://www.tophatprod.com/store/product.php?productid=16136
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
I use the large Kalver version often in living rooms. If the room is large enough, I find it usually works well. It depends a lot on the layout of the room. People on the sides often don't get it; but I've found that even 7 and 8 year olds enjoy it in a living room setting if they are in front of me and at least 10 -15 feet away.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 21:22, prestopresto wrote:
The Tri-Zonal Space Warper has three different zones with the spiral alternating direction. It produces the wobbling illusion. Steel Sprial illusion is the same at Stevens.

The growing head illusion is a simple spiral. Grows or shrinks heads depending on direction.

Ah yes, you're quite right. I had assumed the difference was because I was looking at something closer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXZhLuNH2k

I still get a bit of a head shrink with Jerry's 3 zoner if I look at something a bit further away, but there is other stuff happening too and seems to fade away into a confused wobble.

It also works a lot better if you put some Pink Floyd on.

George
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Has anyone tried the big one in a living room? I own one but haven't used it yet.

Also, so you put it on a stand, or use a hand-held motor (e.g. a cordless drill)?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I've used it for adults in rooms the size of a pretty large living room and it's only the back half of the room it works for.

Also, I use a hand drill (mechanical no power) which I think looks way better, it makes the whole prop look a lot more fun. OK maybe it takes a little practice to get the speed right but hey nothing wrong with adding a little skill to the world's most self-working trick.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
My experience is similar to George's. I had done it for classrooms of kids and the it worked better for those in back. I also operate mine by hand; I build a wooden stand and attached a hand crank which fits my "Medicine Show" character just fine.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
George and Starr, thank you. those are exactly what I need. I love the idea of using hand power--especially a visible crank. Cool!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3248 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I went to the eye doctor and they tested my vision by having me read a chart that was projected into a mirror. I asked about this and they explained that the test has to be done at 20 feet so by using mirrors they could effectively have the chart 20 feet away from your eye even in a small room.

This got me wondering so when I got home I got out my Growing Head illusion and tried holding it as usual but looking at a mirror on the opposite wall. It worked very well and I was able to see the effect on my own head in a small room.

I haven't tried it in a show yet but if I'm ever in one of those rooms where one wall is a mirror I'm going to stand with the audience and have them look into the mirror. After the correct amount of time everyone can look at their own head and see the change!

Bye the way, here is a brainteaser: Assuming the forward button on your electic drill ordinarily causes the head to grow, what will happen if you use the same setting but look in the mirror?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Interesting idea Mike.

I have tested mine using a mirror in a fairly small room but never thought of using a mirror in performance.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2226 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Where else can I order this prop? His site (Bruce Kalver) does not ship overseas.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Here's my issue with the Growing Head...

The drill.

it's bulky.. it's ugly... and everytime I've seen it.. it's unwieldy.

The other thing is that virtually every time I've seen it done, it was done as an opener. So.. the first thing the performer did was break out a drill, put the disk on, and count backwards from 30... then... once the head was done shrinking.. THEY DID IT AGAIN.. in the other direction!! Counting backwards from 30... OUT LOUD!! What a GREAT way to KILL a show. They spend a minute, right at the beginning, counting backwards TWICE.. I wanted to get up and walk out.

To top it off.. one magician said... "You know how that was done... science!!!"

and went on with her show.

I understand that it's a fun effect... but is the magician having more fun than the audience.. and is anyone making a spinner that's a bit easier to handle than an electric drill?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which growing head illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL