The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which growing head illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
They are doofuses. They understand all but one aspect of the trick .... ENTERTAINMENT! I NEVER count out loud; I have other things being said and done during that portion of the presentation.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Really? What can be "done" that is entertaining which doesn't take their focus off the wheel? This is one thing where I actually have to try to not be too entertaining as it will distract the crowd.
I don't do it at the start for the reasons muguy stated and rely on the strength of the illusion to make up for the dead spot.
Gary Shelton
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Gary Shelton
I use a 30 second clip of the Twilight zone theme so I don't have to count and so I can talk to them during the spin
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3254 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I get them focusing on the wheel while I talk for about 20 seconds then count to 10.

I use an electric screwdriver rather than a drill but personally I don't find drills to be "bulky and/or "Ugly".

People really react loudly with obvious delight at the effect. They beg me to do it again and come up after the show to discuss it.

Gary, I think your Twilight Zone theme while you talk over it is great.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Do you think there's a certain percentage of people this effect never works on? It seems like about a third of my audience, on average, doesn't perceive the effect. And that's of those who are looking at it straight-on.

Also, is there an optimal speed at which the disk should be spun for maximum effect? Faster better than slower?
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3254 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
Also, is there an optimal speed at which the disk should be spun for maximum effect? Faster better than slower?

There will always be a percentage of people who won't experience something like this but it shouldn't be a third of your audience. I have been told that most drills go a little too FAST. Bruce sells a motor that he says is perfect because it goes a bit slower. I simply use an electric screw driver and I know it does worrk better when the battery is low.

The other big factor is how far the audience is. 10 feet is too close.

Some people take it as a matter of pride that optical illusions don't work on them. They glance up and say "Didn't work for me!, These things never work for me!" They think you are trying to fool them and they are too smart for you. You have to get them to understand taht this is a neat experience that they can experience if they want to.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I just use mine to save money on acid.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3254 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
I just use mine to save money on acid.

The Tri-Zonal Space Warper WILL make the walls breath.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Well, what I do has already been mentioned. I also focus their attention while talking, and only count down the final 10 seconds. And I also use the TZ theme. Either "great minds" or "totally obvious" going on here. 30 seconds of counting is boredom, not entertainment.

As for it "working" I am not all that concerned. It will work on a high enough percentage of the audience that I get ooo's and aah's and giggles and wows. If you look at this video ( http://magicmedicineshow.com/ ), at 20 seconds in you can hear the audience response to it (this was before I built my hand-crank for it.)
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Gary suggested a great idea using the 30 second clip of the Twilight zone theme.

Bill
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2011-06-05 19:42, bwarren3 wrote:
Gary suggested a great idea using the 30 second clip of the Twilight zone theme.

True. But if everyone starts doing it that way, originality goes out the window. I'd suggest if you are not already doing this, consider another option as we'll all start looking the same.

In fact, I think I may change my presentation, because I kinda think that everyone who reads this thread is going to start using that theme song.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
The music is neat idea.

I only count down the last 10 seconds too. I suppose the point I am making is those 30 seconds are not where I show my skills as an entertainer. I have written stuff for before and after but if I were to crack a joke during the spin it might distract them from the task on hand.

I find this to be a great mc bit for adults as Mcing is about uniting the crowd rather than showing off your skills. I personally don't like to do this effect in a set or show as it is really just sharing something interesting rather than a performance piece that I can inject my own character and style into (much). I feel like I am cheating.

G
dgoodman
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of dgoodman
Review for the Extreme model - Buyer Beware.
While the concept is great and the illusion wow's an audience, this is very over priced for what you receive and very poorly made! The disc itself is constructed out of very flimsy coreboard and cut very poorly. The hardware consists of two washer's, a screw and a bolt. The front washer is colored black to blend in with the disc but they took the cheep route and it looked like it was painted by hand with the paint chipping off. For this price they should have anodized the front washer and the top of the bolt. Furthermore, they say that it comes in an artist's protective sleeve to carry it - be forewarned! This is simply a piece of cardboard box that they have cut and folded in half. To make this work, you will need to invest in a specific cordless power drill that will run approximately another $40 and you will probably want to buy a real artist protective sleeve that will run another $35-$40. The instruction DVD disc was not even labeled. In today's electronic age, printing a label is a no-brainer and again this just poorly reflects on how badly produced this product is. Again, while the illusion is great in concept, Bruce Kalver should know better.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2353 Posts

Profile of todsky
Thanks for the heads-up on the Extreme model, dgoodman.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I've been thinking about mounting this on a box that I can put over someone's head. Spin the disc, then flip it up or open like a door to watch the person's head inside the box.

Think it would kill the illusion? Or add to it?

Ed
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2011-10-06 15:39, Ed_Millis wrote:
I've been thinking about mounting this on a box that I can put over someone's head. Spin the disc, then flip it up or open like a door to watch the person's head inside the box.

Think it would kill the illusion? Or add to it?

Ed

Good idea, Ed. Never thought about that. How about mounting it to a construction helmet instead of the box. Anyway, they won't be able to see the head due to the large size of the disc.
I think the audience will focus more on the disc because they are expecting to see something happen to the volunteer. Great idea indeed!
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Just envisioning the box with "power connections" and some other goofy things. Can't get the motor to start turnibg? Bring out the jumper cables! All kinds of mischief possibilities - and because the person's vision is limited to front only, they can't see so much!! I'm thinking of the principal in front of the kids...

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which growing head illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL