The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Mac-fool's paradise (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I warned you guys about this about 6 months back and some of you pooh poohed me. Here it is straight from the mouth of an Apple customer support rep:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/an-applec......=nl.e539

Get yourself virus/malware protection. You are *not* immune. In fact, the myth that you ARE makes you a tempting target as the criminals out there know the majority of you are unprotected.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Noted. But in all fairness . . .
The malware is disguised as anti-virus protection. That is, people who panicked about malware on the Mac were more likely to install this and mess up their computers.
The article says the malware is easily removed, though Apple support is reluctant to do so and admit a problem.
But most importantly, the problem can only come about if the user agrees to install it on her/his computer and use the admin password. Not quite the same as the nasties that are going around in Windows.
The lesson here would seem to be that if you're not careful the cure can be worse than the problem.
But I agree, we Mac users shouldn't be complacent. I'll worry more when I see uninvited viruses appear on Macs.
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Quote:
On 2011-05-18 13:54, Cyberqat wrote:
I warned you guys about this about 6 months back

Keep the fear alive baby, keep the fear alive!

I often wonder what life would be like if there weren't people encouraging us all to maintain our fear.
It really isn't important WHAT you're afraid of, only that you're permanently afraid of something.

Because, without fear............millions of folks are our of work, and trillions of dollars don't get spent.

It's all about "the fear"..........and remember, "I warned you".
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Im the first one to argue that unthinking fear is bad, and have doen so many times.

But so is un thinking bravado. Fear evolved for a reason. When the tiger is nearby its GOOD to be afraid.

And I thought I didn't have to say this but maybe I do.... don't buy your front door lock from a guy who rings your bell and offers to sell you one. Similarly don't buy your virus/malware protection from anyone you don't explicitly trust. Do your research and, if all else fails, go down to the Apple store and see what they are selling. (I use Intego myself and, yes, I bought it at my local Apple store.)
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Tigers can smell fear. It entices them. So unless your goal is to marinate yourself as a courtesy to the tiger, I would try not to be afraid.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
To quote the old joke....

"I don't have to run faster then the tiger. I just have to run faster then YOU."

Hes gonna smell you, too, afraid or not! If a hosuecat can smell you opening a can of food from the other side of the house, a tiger I am sure cn nsmell dinner, afraid or not.

So you stand there not afraid, please, while I run.

And now we are totally off subject.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
With the house cat it isn't the smell but rather the sound. It is a Pavlovian response. Just open a can of anything and a cat will come running.

I also would probably stand while you ran. Your running will trigger their pursuit instinct and they will consider you prey.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4095 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
And then the tiger will say, "Wait, what am I thinking?!?!", turn around, and bite your head off.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16235 Posts

Profile of tommy
Fear and greed is what makes the world go around.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Back on subject: Thank you very much for the heads-up. I'll prep my computer as soon as I get back home. I hadn't heard of this until now.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5827 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Wow, 60 calls. Yeah, that's an out of control problem. Got any guess what that number would be for a new Windws security issue. Millions?
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Whoa, I thought this thread was about Big Macs, fries and stuff.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1863 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Actually we MAC user realize we are living in a fools paradise. One of these days we'll git bit too.
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
In the news again ...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a6e6aa7a-87c0-......NVp3M3qg

"Apple Macs hit by scareware attacks"
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-05-26 21:46, balducci wrote:
In the news again ...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a6e6aa7a-87c0-......NVp3M3qg

"Apple Macs hit by scareware attacks"

So another one of those that only affects those dumb enough to authorize programs they didn't download themselves?

Isn't this the same thing as all the other Mac "scares?"
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I installed Virus-Barrier and it scanned my files and found one problem...a UPS tracking program that was malware. Again, thanks for the heads-up.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Mac-fool's paradise (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL