The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Looking for Heavy Clear Cellophane Sheet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I am trying to find some clear cellophane, about the weight of what you find on boxes that dolls, etc., are packaged in. Does cellophane come in "weight", or "gauge", or something similar?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7384 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Look under packaging materials. You might also try a draftsman or printers supply and ask for drawing acetate.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
If you want something thicker, most fabric stores have table cover on a roll they cut off of, that's clear.

Vinny
aussiemagik
View Profile
New user
Norfolk, VA
89 Posts

Profile of aussiemagik
I had to buy some transparency film about a year ago, to use for dry erase marker. I found a 15 foot roll, about 4 ft wide, at Hobby Lobby. I went there because Michael's didn't have it. I couldn't find it online because I forget what it's called, but I remember it was in the drawing section of the store.

Hope this helps,
Chris
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 07:39, ClintonMagus wrote:
I am trying to find some clear cellophane, about the weight of what you find on boxes that dolls, etc., are packaged in. Does cellophane come in "weight", or "gauge", or something similar?

The typical packaging plastic you're referring to is actually a heat-shrink product. When that doll was first encased in plastic, the bag was well over-sized for the product. After being sealed the entire bag & contents went through a heat tunnel, causing the plastic bag to shrink tightly around the doll/display box.

Heat-shrink plastic can be purchased in may forms, and of varying thickness. If your project is a small one you might want to simply buy a window-sealing kit from your local home improvement box store. To get the full "cellophane" effect, fasten the film over some sort of frame with double-sided tape - as if it was a window - and shrink it with a hair dryer. Once it cools, cut it free and proceed from there.

Read this for more info: http://www.realtor.com/home-garden/do-it......dow.aspx

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Thomas,

The material I am looking for is not heat shrink, but the stiff acetate/cellophane that is in "window-type" packages, sort of like this:

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7384 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I think the drafting acetate would work. There are different gauges of it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I'll look at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and my local drafting supply. I'll just have to experiment with the thickness, I guess.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You can get transparencies for overhead projectors at Staples and anywhere overhead projectors are sold.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22595 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Lectraset and Grafix, the rub on lettering companies also sell clear sheeting. That is what it is used for, designing packaging for protype marketing. I bet their sheeting will work if you do not need a large area.

Clinton, did you go to the site Michael Baker referenced? Watch the video on that page, it gives a ton of information, and you may find answers to your question. I learned a lot about plastic films from watching it.
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Clinton

From your picture the material is Tyvek. It comes in all sorts of weights, and is easily printable. The very thin Tyvek paper is what was used for the "Non-Tear" gag.

Here's a link to the stuff you need:

http://www.materialconcepts.com/products/tyvek/

You can get FREE samples of Tyvek from:

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Envelopes/e......_na.html

John
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Tap Plastics (tapplastics.com) has .002 thick 24" X 10' clear Mylar for less than $20.00
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Looking for Heavy Clear Cellophane Sheet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL