We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » You Really want to learn...anything? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
Keep an open an open mind. don't buy into one mode of thinking....don't feel pressed because you do any style of show and others do something different.

Study everything you can from everyone that is successful. I don't mean success in money but they actually have a good show, whether its with a table or without it. don't get caught up thinking one way is wrong and another is right. This only leads to having a closed mind, and probably a terrible show. The evidence speaks for itself if you watch the videos that are posted...

Mario has been talking about Circus and I think its a wonderful idea! Just the things you can learn about body movement, and timing are priceless! Seek out some greats like Ahvner the Eccentric, Rob Torres (sp?), Pedro Tochas, the list goes on and on.

This is an art form (Busking) that is practiced everyday. It should be given more effort than just Magical ability. It is forged through hard work, determination, and talent. Not everyone can do it. Plain and simple. Anyone that tells you "anybody can do it" is full of it. Or, their standards of an actual "good show" are very skewed.

Here's a way to tell if the show is good... Listen to the audience in the video, watch their faces. Look at their reactions. I don't mean when someone keeps saying "say yeah!" and they do. I mean the genuine responses. (If there are any.)If there is amazement, laughter and real happiness then I think there's a great chance you're watching a good performer.
I don't know what you think is "good", and you don't know what I think is "good", but I can tell you it shouldn't matter, because it's what the audience thinks that matters!!!
Look for genuine response and happiness, if you find it, you will see a "good performer".

Best,

Bobby
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thanks Bobby,
I am glad you understood where I was coming from.
You hit the nail on the Head. That saying by the way "Hit the Nail on the Head"
Comes from Bristol in UK.
Their is a Market their and they have huge nails in the ground that come up to chest hight.
Their so wide you can eat your dinner of them.
Come auction day, they use to hit the nail on the head.
You did it.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
I subscribe to the "listen to your audience" newsletter and give it it's due. I do keep in mind though that people are sheep and they go about all day wearing masks. In the vein of open mind I think we have a duty to do just that, open minds. I use the magic to do so. People will more likely show real dislike before they will show real acceptance. They have to let their guard down to do that and our society is negatively based I believe. So I pay more attention to the open disapproval than open approval and lead my audience hopefully towards a more positive exchange overall.
You know why don't act naive.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

HeebLarry nice observation!

You have to overcome that wall of "defense" don't ya? Folded arms, sideways stances, etc. etc. etc...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
You know, I really don't think folded arms are that bad. Last night I was watching a lecture I really enjoyed standing in the back with folded arms.

Realizing the way that looked to the Lecturers (Aldo and Rachel Colombini) I tried to adjust my stance several times but kept ending up cross armed.

I think it's just something to do with your arms and if you're slightly cold it's a good choice.

I know crossed arms can be defensive and closed but not always.

-Mary Mowder
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Not really what I was getting at but my jury is still out on body language.
It's one of many indicators.
The eyes are the key I'd say. Feet a close second.
You know why don't act naive.
Jason Shapiro
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jason Shapiro
I cross my arms often, and it is comfy and warm. I will judge it on the person and the weather. If the sun just went down and the chill comes through for those unprepared, they will naturally cross arms. When they pay attention and are smiling-ish, I will leave them alone. Now if its warm, they are paying attention and having a good time, I will tell them to unfold the arms with a joke to gain more CONTROL over the rest of the audience. As Bobby says" if you aren't controlling the audience, then who the hell is?" (taken from "The Cure for Invisibility"--great lecture notes Bobby) Anyway, I love the lessons ive learned in my short run so far... circle shows with over 100 pounds of props at my home pitch gtfm, or guys in nola with nothing but whats on there back blowing my mind with flawless slight of hand and tight close crowd. I loved learning from both, probably with my arms crossed!
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Mary, if you look up and you see your audience has their arms crossed and you are performing it will not be easy to make them applaud. And if you can make them uncross their arms then you are controlling the crowd and that is the name of the game.

I second Jason. Great lecture notes Bobby! My eyes are wide open now. I can see the light.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Ahhh...the "control" thing.

Well, its not as diabolical as it sounds. Its not mind control or pressuring your audience, it's giving them verbal and physical suggestions that actually allow them to enjoy your show more.

If they're facing you, they can see you, if they're a bit closer and closer together, they can hear you. And vice versa...

Not about a tactic, but just a little direction to give them optimum enjoyment.

When you go to a theatre the seats are arranged arent they? Its not here's a chair sit wherever you like... They're raked so you can see, and the audio levels are set so you can hear.
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
We are all learning with each other, and I consider you all, brothers in the art...

Mario told us Circus experience could make us grow in the busking art, maeybe because circus performers are buskers that

travel with a tent... I believe he is very rigth...

Bobby, told us that we can learn many with, Ahvner the Eccentric, Rob Torres (sp?), Pedro Tochas and I believe is very rigth

What have they in common? they are all CLOWNS and they are all great street performers...

They have another thing in common, they all study THE ART OF CLOWN, and Avner is one great clown teacher

When I say clown, I don't say that stilized image we all have in our mind of use make up, and big shoes and so on...

(traditional style)

Clown is phisical comedy (slapstick), expresion, magic, simplicity, fantasie, emotion, mind, heart, creativity and many other

things...

In Clever like a Fox by Karrell FOX, he says ....and this trick is great for the magician and the clown, WAIT, aren't we all

clowns?... something like that...

I write this post because I believe study the art of clown could realy help you improve many things, and will open many doors

and windows for you...

I give you a poetic example:

Society make us like a square... watch the folowing example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKxEvN8LETA

It's hard to create anything new if you think inside the square, that the society put you in... you need to BE FREE to be a great performing artist... clown is freedom

I will give another small video segment I consider very important, in this 5 minute video you will find many details and information...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1qv8WG3YjM

I believe that for some of you this is not new, for others this could be very helpful and help you to be a better performer...
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Duardo

Now we are talking, your a wise man years ahead of your time!

This is alway NEW and FRESH.

First of when I say Circus I do mean "Circus skills" as well as street and big-top.

Yes this is all about performers Hearts!

Clowning is a fantastic expression and as it was said some folk crack jokes - comedians, others play out their emotions and pour that into their art.

Some performers talk about others as a way to make them selfs feel better about them selfs, YUK. These guys have lost touch with their own heart of a clownl.

Clowns who play are the most vulnerable performers of them all!

A good clown will use the energy around him absorb the good the bad, the qwestion is how deep will the rabit whole go and how far will the performer push the limits, scary.

If they fail they embrace it, Joy they will reflect it, if they see human conflict they don't understand it, above all they will aim to pour this into their show

Hear is another clip on youtube. I think the most moving Video clip I have ever watched on youtube.

If this video does not move you then you have lost touch with your heart!

Warning this Clip may make you cry, make your self a cuppa make your self comfotable and watch the Vunrability of performing art!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scf5VfyRHzc
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Very moving.

I guess the point of my speak is to encourage performers to look at many different forms of expression. It doesn't just have to be clown, or magic, or juggling, or anything specific.

There's good in everything if you look for it.
SamTheMagicMan
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of SamTheMagicMan
Mario that clip was incredible and heatrwrenching.

I like this discussion of drawing inspiration from circus-type performers. If I can add a name to some of the great ones that Bobby mentioned, it would be George Carl. I love this clip of him from the Tonight Show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJdNs0fbO1o.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

I'm saddened because of labels, and I'm saddened by those who will not let them go, or try and bring them back into discussions because they've run out of things to say. So, lets get an old argument started over gain! And a pointless one at that!!!! No thanks.

I guess one of the best ways to keep your name out there is to create controversy. Here's a question..what if nobody cares about the controversy anymore? What if most of us have moved on? What about those that just want to learn? Now where's your juice?

It's hard to get a fish to bite on old bait.

A dear friend said to me a while back "If nobody has anything good to say, people will listen to who talks the loudest." I said to him "Yeah, but what happens when somebody does have something good to say? Doesn't it take away the noise, and the nonsense?" He said "I hope so, but its hard to talk over the noise sometimes..." I guess we shall see...

Sooner or later folks will open their eyes and hearts and see what's been said and done to them...and their gonna be upset. Why? Because they thought they had to make a choice when they didn't. They were told there were sides. There arent. They were led to believe that one is bad and the other is good. Not true. Both good.
This is how wars happen. Sometimes, enemies are CREATED.
I don't want any enemies. I want to work, and leave it better than I found it...its all I got.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Ario that clip was incredible and heatrwrenching.

I like this discussion of drawing inspiration from circus-type performers. If I can add a name to some of the great ones that Bobby mentioned, it would be George Carl. I love this clip of him from the Tonight Show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJdNs0fbO1o.
[/quote]

We owe hour thanks to Peter Shub! he has a few videos on youtube, lots to learn from watching him play.

That is a great Video clip, real fun.
By the way my mistake, Dave Shore was a prop maker the Guy who is an inspirational clown/circus skilled performer was Dave Southern I got their names mixed up it has been a few years.

Their are some great Clown Schools, I would love to go and just learn to play.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Getting back on point...

I guess the moral of this story is to explore as many avenues as you can.

If ya wanna clown then seek out the BEST clowns ya can.
If ya wanna learn how to street perform seek out the BEST street performers.

Be sure the guy you're talking to or is doing all the talking is actually good at what he says he does...
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Wow, this is a great post Bobby!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
664 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Other greats to learn from include Bill Irwin and Red Skeleton.

Danny, love your new avatar...Danny Hustle for president!
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Thanks Manuel,

Bill irwin is one of my favorites along with George Carl.

Here is a great link to Some of Mr. Irwin's stuff from 1981.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94r249gfA90

Best,

Ban-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Excellent and insightful post Mr. Maverick! Thanks so very much for sharing it! Most folks don't last very long out there....it takes real dedication, especially when it's supposed to be hot or the crowds aren't as large as normal, etc..etc...
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » You Really want to learn...anything? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL