The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Al Schneider book by L&L (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Got the book, have read the very first pages only. First impression is very large book, the pictures look larger and clearer than of the previous Schneider's book, the early chapter in theory is excellent.
Great buy ...
Pablo
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I spent last night reading this book and can honestly say it has already helped me. I wish I could say the same about the Berglas book which seems worse and worse as I read further and further. The descriptions of the coin moves is some of the best and clearest I've read.
bnburns
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of bnburns
I'm just getting into it and thumbing around, but so far I like that Mr. Schneider is very direct with his opinions- it was interesting that he thought most (if not all) "improvements" on his Matrix are anything but!
John Kokot
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
Mr. Schneider might want to work on his spelling and proofreading. While these shortcomings are minuscule in comparison to the the theoretical and methodological goals of "Al Schneider Magic," it gives one pause when Mr. Schneider repeatedly refers to the "Han Ping Chien" move as the "Heng Ping Chen" move. This peccadillo is odd in a book in which a "majority of routines . . . utilize coins" (page 28). Sometimes Chinese names are misspelled in translation, but "Han Ping Chien" does seem to be the accepted spelling, given that it is listed this way in Bart Whaley's "Who's Who in Magic," Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic," Richard Kaufman's "Coinmagic" and Lewis Ganson's "The Dai Vernon Book of Magic."

A similar faux pas occurs on page 542 when Schneider refers to Jay Marshall as Jay Marshal and Howard Paul Bamman as Paul Howard Bahman. Given that Schneider believes these gentlemen to be seminal figures in his "magic involvement," it is somewhat surprising that he didn't take the trouble to confirm the correct spelling of their names.

David Roth and T. Nelson Downs might be forgiven for taking umbrage at Schneider's claim on page 108 that "as of this writing in 2011, I still know of no one that uses it nor have I seen it in print." The move in question is Schneider's "Thumb Flick," which Downs utilized in his "The Free and Unlimited Coinage of Silver" routine in the early 20th Century and was published as the "Kick Move in Roth's 1985 "Expert Coin Magic' (page 288).

It also might have been preferable to substitute a revised version of Schneider's "The Theory of Magic" eBook (2000) for the abbreviated theoretical section that opens "Al Schneider Magic." In condensing his theoretical claims into a mere 17 pages, Schneider leaves us with some puzzling statements. To wit, "I apologize I cannot say more about this for it is an idea that occurs to me as I write this" (page 27) and "I also realize that this introduces a bit of contradiction in the Five Steps of Magic . . . I am not sure how to handle this" (page 27). Spur-of-the-moment conjectures and unsolved contradictions are not the kind of rigorous exposition one expects in the theoretical sections of a book that explains "why my magic looks good" (page 11) and one in which the readers will "treasure" because "I have put my very best into it" (dust jacket).

While Mr. Schneider should be judged as a magician rather than an author, the writing often reads as if it were composed in a single draft, bringing to mind Gore Vidal's comment about Jack Kerouac, "That's typing, not writing."

These quibbles, as stated earlier, pale in comparison to the thrust of the book, but the carelessness Schneider displays undermines his credibility, to the detriment of his readers and himself. Admittedly, the previously posted positive comments about his book are more relevant, but given the nature of some of Schneider's claims, his minor shortcomings bear attention. It will be enlightening to read a critique of the book by someone as discerning, for example, as Jamy Ian Swiss.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22597 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe the magic effects speak for themselves. All these sold called shortcomings may not be the work of Mr. Schneider. Remember, L & L assembled and converted the text to the book page and sent it to a publisher for printing. Who knows where the claim for these minor imperfections lies.

I find it interesting you have not mentioned one routine from the book. I have seen these in person by Al Schneider and another magician who learned them from previous publications. I can only say they are true miracles in the proper hands.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"
These quibbles, as stated earlier, pale in comparison to the thrust of the book, but the carelessness Schneider displays undermines his credibility, to the detriment of his readers and himself."

boy, couldn't disagree more. This book is a revelation for me, and the first book in a while that really wants to make me do a through study. Don't know how a few typos could prevent anyone from seeing the real genius in this work or think it reflects on Mr. Schneider's credibility. First, I never thought his credibility was ever in question.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3058 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Kokot-

Your criticisms may be valid in terms of how they may reflect poorly on the author, but really, the mistakes you're talking about should have been caught by the editing and/or research department, and unless the book is self-published, those are services that should be supplied by the publisher.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Maybe they are so used to making dvd's they missed them!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
John Kokot
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
It was Trumnan Capote -- not Gore Vidal. The precise quote was, "that isn't writing at all, it's typing."

The editing and research department missed it the first time around. In doing so, my credibility was undermined.
John Kokot
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
Truman.
Truman.
Truman.
Truman.
Truman.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5957 Posts

Profile of motown
I received my book yesterday. While it doesn't effect the content of the book, I really wish L&L had done a better job with the books design. It deserved better. The cover reminded me of something I'd find a funeral home. I though the typography could have been much more interesting. The photos are poorly cropped and feel like they were just plopped in without any sense of design. So much wasted space as a result. L&L just Hasn't ever put the same kind of care into the design of their books that Kaufman and Minch do. Which is really to bad.

While I love the contents of the book, I can't say the same about the design. Sorry, that's the art director in me.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
To anyone that kares.
I did it all.
The book did not end the way it began.
I flunked English writing three times in college.
I wrote the book, attempted to edit it, did the cover, set the type.
Did I miss anything?
The book was to be just a collection of past material.
The reality of putting it all in one book altered what happened.
All the pics had to be re-shot.
They were all for internet quality which is to low for a book.
I had to buy a camera. I got one for $90.
I found I could not focus it as it is a computer job that focuses itself.
I had great difficulty in taking pictures.
80% have been edited to make silver coins look silver and rings visible.
I wrote a word processor to set the type.
In all of this I had one intention, give the reader something of value.
Much of the material was outdated. My thinking has changed since most of it was released.
Thus, I rewrote almost all of it.
I looked into hiring a professional editor. That could cost over $10000.
I doubt if L&L will make that much on sales. Magic is a small industry.
All of this greatly exceeded my initial time frame to produce the book.
I started and completed the book in 2 1/2 months.
When I first got the book in my hands I could not believe what I had done.
To me the book was a bunch of words on a computer screen.
I could not visualize what the final product would be.
I'm sorry I am a fat 68 year old computer geek that works on airplanes and pacemakers.
I clearly know nuttin about magic or publishing a book.
I beg your forgiveness.
Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
To anyone looking to purchase this book- please do. I'm new to performing and have been "lurking" in the fringes for--- well lets say I bought my Tarbell's in 1978- oh and I was born 1950 - Ive coleected and read a lot in that time. For me and only speaking for me I have improved more since using Al's DVD "Al Schneider Technique" than at any time before, his thinking resonates to this science geek - Biologist/Pathology Assistant and Educator ( HS andCollege). I would recommend that in the future the book and the DVDs be packaged together. In the few typos I saw, it is far far better than anything I get at the college level and HS well at least 1/3 to 1/2 can't write in cursive and much less can write , compound sentences. So I do not judge soley on whats printed on the paper but n the concept quality. I took the time to view effects as I read them in the book. I found, that the effects and subtleties as written are very much as Mr. S describes on the DVD. The" translation" of his explanations to print are to me excellent. I read between 5-6 books a week on a variety of topics and you would be amazed at the errors that large publishing houses miss. I recently read a text where dates, and middle names were misspelled and just plain wrong - this was by an expert on the topic and they got it wrong and the publisher missed it- the author (a friend) and I had long discussion about it - needless to say when he checked his notes he admitted to transcription error.

Writing a book is a huge undertaking and getting photos just right for publication is an even bigger PIA. Try writing for a peer reviewed journal and submitting prints; digital or otherwise, then having to wait for review and their decision to accept or not to publish.

Thank-you Mr. Schneider- as I said to you in an email, I appreciate your work .

john
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2445 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
There are very few books that I'm jealous about not publishing: Al Schneider's book is one of them. I asked Al several times over the years when he was writing for Genii and we were in touch often if he would let me take all of his eBooks, and older books, and turn them into a big truly great book that would be there 100 years from now. I could never convince him.

I'm glad he's finally done it, warts and all. I just started reading my copy today and the content is superb as I knew it would be.
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Dear Mr. Kaufman
I am touched. I was always afraid of such a subject.
I guess the problem is that you never spoke my language.
I speak $$$$.
Especially at a time I need to pay the rent.
Let's talk.
By the way, I am worried about you.
My computer says your web site is down ????
Al Schneider
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I only have one comment: This book is fantastic. I have loved reading every page. I'll be studying this book carefully for years to come. All I can say is thank you Mr. Schneider for one fantastic piece of work.
bill7
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
214 Posts

Profile of bill7
You DID it Mr. Schneider!!
"The Penalty Of leadership" from Cadillac. Just a thought for all of those on the sidelines.
Bill G.
Virginia, USA
Ps. Does Mr. Kaufman like Georgetown Cupcakes?
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1085 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Well, for me.. The so called mistakes, etc.
I think it makes it more personable!
And thank you Mr. Schneider for your honesty. And thank you for sharing this book with us!
Mine (Delux edition Signed!)arrived damaged (not by shipping), but L & L quickly agreed to send me a new one. I mailed the damaged one back... Now That was hard to do!!!! I wanted to wait, but that isn't right... I want to thank L & L for their excellent customer service! Thank you L & L!

Anyways, while I had it for a few days, it was REALLY good!!!
I actually chuckled when I saw the mistakes. WHO CARES!!! I don't. Like I said, it makes it so much more personable.

But, we all have a right to our opinions.

Now I am waiting again for this masterpiece of Magic to arrive!
I am deployed, so the mail can take a little longer. Mail did not come today Smile
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
OMG.

Mr. Schneider I'm impressed. Writing AND layout seems impossible to me. My most recent book (or booklet) was 60 pages and it took about a year start to finish. (And I had help on the layout). I assume you have no hair now from pulling it out on this project Smile

Congratulations on getting this done. I've ordered it and will be reading it soon!

Doug
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
I appreciate your comments.
It really helps.
Al Schneider
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Al Schneider book by L&L (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL