The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Do you think these two excerpts reveal a difference in character and leadership?

One:

Quote:
The success of yesterday's mission is a tribute to our men and women now serving in Iraq . The operation was based on the superb work of intelligence analysts who found the dictator's footprints in a vast country. The operation was carried out with skill and precision by a brave fighting force. Our servicemen and women and our coalition allies have faced many dangers in the hunt for members of the fallen regime, and in their effort to bring hope and freedom to the Iraqi people. Their work continues, and so do the risks. Today,on behalf of the nation, I thank the members of our Armed Forces and I congratulate 'em.

Two:

Quote:
And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against al Qaeda, even as we continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network. Then, last August, after years of painstaking work by our intelligence community, I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden. It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground. I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside ofPakistan . And finally, last week, I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action, and authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice. Today, at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad , Pakistan .

Discuss.

Woland
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Or what.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
That's some good cherry-picking, that is.

I read it first at Fox, though.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 18:25, balducci wrote:
That's some good cherry-picking, that is.

One thing about cherry-picking: the cherries gotta be there first before you can pick 'em.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The experiment could be repeated a dozen times, and it would give similar results. It is hard for a narcissist to think that there is anything else in the world but I I I I I I . . . .
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Boy it still just tears you up inside that a someone else got Osama in less than two year on the job while your guy couldn't find him in seven years. And goofed up big time by taking his eye off the ball by invading the wrong country to boot.

BTW President Obama also had this to say

"Over the last 10 years, thanks to the tireless and heroic work of our military and our counterterrorism professionals, we’ve made great strides in that effort. We’ve disrupted terrorist attacks and strengthened our homeland defense. In Afghanistan, we removed the Taliban government, which had given bin Laden and al Qaeda safe haven and support. And around the globe, we worked with our friends and allies to capture or kill scores of al Qaeda terrorists, including several who were a part of the 9/11 plot. . . .Tonight, we give thanks to the countless intelligence and counterterrorism professionals who’ve worked tirelessly to achieve this outcome. The American people do not see their work, nor know their names. But tonight, they feel the satisfaction of their work and the result of their pursuit of justice.
We give thanks for the men who carried out this operation, for they exemplify the professionalism, patriotism, and unparalleled courage of those who serve our country. And they are part of a generation that has borne the heaviest share of the burden since that September day."

I'm starting to think that maybe Chance was right after all Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
OPQ:

No.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Who was President when UBL got whacked doesn't bother me at all. That's not the point. The way different Presidents conduct themselves is what interested me in the two quotes.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
In this case the first statement was designed to accept responsibility for the decision to act.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
P.S. I am far from an admirer of all of President Bush's policies & actions. I voted for Al Gore in 2000. But I think it only fair to recognize the man's humility and forebearance. He never once lashed out at his critics the way certain other Presidents have done, and the care with which he physically assisted an ailing Senator Robert Byrd, even after the vitriolic calumnies which Senator Byrd abused him, was a demonstration of charity and civility.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
"I am the decider . . ."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoawfZMaFcY

The United States of Amnesia.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 19:21, Payne wrote:
Boy it still just tears you up inside that a someone else got Osama in less than two year on the job while your guy couldn't find him in seven years.

How very Al Angelo of you.

If Bush had the same dedication and personally went door to door throughout the Middle East like Obama did, this would have all been over years ago.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 19:37, Woland wrote:
P.S. I am far from an admirer of all of President Bush's policies & actions. I voted for Al Gore in 2000. But I think it only fair to recognize the man's humility and forbearance. He never once lashed out at his critics the way certain other Presidents have done, and the care with which he physically assisted an ailing Senator Robert Byrd, even after the vitriolic calumnies which Senator Byrd abused him, was a demonstration of charity and civility.

Yeah, cause nothing says humility and forbearance like landing on an aircraft carrier in full flight gear underneath a mission accomplished banner Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 01:59, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 19:37, Woland wrote:
P.S. I am far from an admirer of all of President Bush's policies & actions. I voted for Al Gore in 2000. But I think it only fair to recognize the man's humility and forbearance. He never once lashed out at his critics the way certain other Presidents have done, and the care with which he physically assisted an ailing Senator Robert Byrd, even after the vitriolic calumnies which Senator Byrd abused him, was a demonstration of charity and civility.

Yeah, cause nothing says humility and forbearance like landing on an aircraft carrier in full flight gear underneath a mission accomplished banner Smile

Heh heh.

Full point.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Consider, if you will, that the banner was by and for the crew of the Carrier which had just completed their mission.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
But the photo op placed the Banner over Bush's head. More about Bush less about the crew, in my opinion.
Also the insinuation that Bush himself flew and landed the Aircraft.
It was all about Bush.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Au contraire. I think if you speak with men & women in the military, they understand that the President's interactions with them were all about them.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 07:23, Woland wrote:
Au contraire. I think if you speak with men & women in the military, they understand that the President's interactions with them were all about them.

That very well may be true but the majority who watched it on tv were not military. It was a Bush photo-op for sure.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
When you consider the things that President Bush did for and with military personnel and their families, the things that he continues to do, behind the scenes, often with with no press allowed, you realize that the press coverage of something like the visit to the USS Abraham Lincoln was a sideshow.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Granted, a photo op. Easily accomplished due to the size of the banner and probably a bit of euphoria felt by all on board. An important man stood on deck, a large banner in the background...not exactly spiking the ball, though forgivable if somebody thought it was a 'moment' of fortuitous camera placement. How petty if the Bush handlers had demanded the banner be removed and the crew tribute slighted.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL