The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 12:12, Woland wrote:
If we may revenons a nos moutons, this list will no doubt be considered in......s forum:

Quote:
How many times has Obama flunked diplomatic protocol in the United Kingdom?

Let us count the ways…

1. Immediately after taking office, Obama shipped the White House bust of Winston Churchill back to England.

2. Then Obama gave British Prime Minister Gordon Brown a bunch of cheap DVDs as a gift.

3. A few weeks later, Michelle Obama broke centuries of international protocol by hugging the queen.

4. Then Obama gave Queen Elizabeth the gift of an iPod, filled with his own speeches.

And 5 makes a Royal Flush…

5. Obama just completely screwed up a toast to the Queen.

But I think Michael Barone underscores consequential......olicies:

Quote:
Question: What do the following have in common? Eckert Cold Storage Co., Kerly Homes of Yuma, Classic Party Rentals, West Coast Turf Inc., Ellenbecker Investment Group Inc., Only in San Francisco, Hotel Nikko, International Pacific Halibut Commission, City of Puyallup, Local 485 Health and Welfare Fund, Chicago Plastering Institute Health & Welfare Fund, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee, Teamsters Local 522 Fund Welfare Fund Roofers Division, StayWell Saipan Basic Plan, CIGNA, Caribbean Workers' Voluntary Employees' Beneficiary Health and Welfare Plan.
Answer: They are all among the 1,372 businesses, state and local governments, labor unions and insurers, covering 3,095,593 individuals or families, that have been granted a waiver from Obamacare by Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius.

All of which raises another question: If Obamacare is so great, why do so many people want to get out from under it?

More specifically, why are more than half of those 3,095,593 in plans run by labor unions, which were among Obamacare's biggest political supporters? Union members are only 12 percent of all employees but have gotten 50.3 percent of Obamacare waivers.

Just in April, Sebelius granted 38 waivers to restaurants, nightclubs, spas and hotels in former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco congressional district. Pelosi's office said she had nothing to do with it.

On its website HHS pledges that the waiver process will be transparent. But it doesn't list those whose requests for waivers have been denied.

He concludes:

Quote:
One basic principle of the rule of law is that laws apply to everybody. If the sign says "No Parking," you're not supposed to park there even if you're a pal of the alderman.

Another principle of the rule of law is that government can't make up new rules to help its cronies and hurt its adversaries except through due process, such as getting a legislature to pass a new law.

The Obamacare waiver process appears to violate that first rule. Two other recent Obama administration actions appear to violate the second.

One example is the National Labor Relations Board general counsel's action to prevent Boeing from building a $2 billion assembly plant for the 787 Dreamliner in South Carolina, which has a right-to-work law barring compulsory union membership. The NLRB says Boeing has to assemble the planes in non-right-to-work Washington state.

"I don't agree," says William Gould IV, NLRB chairman during the Clinton years. "The Boeing case is unprecedented."

The other example is the Internal Revenue Service's attempt to levy a gift tax on donors to certain 501(c)(4) organizations that just happen to have spent money to elect Republicans.

A gift tax is normally assessed on transfers to children and other heirs that are designed to avoid estate taxes. It has been applied to political donations "rarely, if ever," according to New York Times reporter Stephanie Strom.

"The timing of the agency's moves, as the 2012 election cycle gets under way," continues Strom, "is prompting some tax law and campaign finance experts to question whether the IRS could be sending a signal in an effort to curtail big donations."

In a Univision radio interview during the 2010 election cycle, Barack Obama urged Latinos not "to sit out the election instead of saying, 'We're going to punish our enemies and we're going to reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us.' "

Punishing enemies and rewarding friends -- politics Chicago style -- seems to be the unifying principle that helps explain the Obamacare waivers, the NLRB action against Boeing and the IRS' gift-tax assault on 501(c)(4) donors.

They look like examples of crony capitalism, bailout favoritism and gangster government.

One thing they don't look like is the rule of law.

Woland

4-http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=obama+gordon+brown&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&pq=obama%20gordon%20brown&xhr=t&q=obama+ipod+queen&cp=11&qe=b2JhbWEgaXBvZCA&qesig=RZ3A0p21lGkvdfQRUDTiHw&pkc=AFgZ2tm1RutpmyBUTYobUDs-elbkZpVl07KNSc_0gfMzPgjtcD_NPgjwyEYpc6r7AkaaGbugm_MzIq7dCvsTHSiI017z2GCV0w&pf=p&sclient=psy&client=safari&rls=en&source=hp&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=obama+ipod+&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=8b618d97646e59ef&biw=1280&bih=610

No mention of his own speeches.... par for the course
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
While it is valid to point out that our estimations regarding a President's performance should take into account the available evidence concerning the performance of previous office holders, I am more concerned with the difference between this President's actual performance on the one hand, and the exalted impression he himself and his admirers have about him, on the other hand, than I am concerned about how his peerformance compares with other Presidents.

On the face of it, after two years in office, with record high misery-index figures, unemployment at 9 or 10% despite removing from the rolls all of the poor saps who have given up even looking for work, gasoline more than double what it was 2 years ago, inflation at levels we haven't seen in this century, the worst job growth following a recession in decades, ear economic collapse in the EU, and catastrophic rises in food prices worldwide, a new, undeclared war that has endured past the 60-day War Powers Act limit with hardly a whisper of concern from Congress - on the face of it, the actual record is terrible.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Well, kcg5, as you say, all those items might be true in some way . . . it doesn't matter where the links came from. The truth is still the truth.

That list didn't even mention, with respect to giving the British Prime Minister a few movie DVDs, that Gordon Brown is blind. Giving him movie DVDs was not just a diplomatic gaffe, it was stupid, and cruel.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Wellllll, Obama did NOT give the queen an ipod with his speeches, and Brown is blind in one eye-not blind as in he cannot see..... Any more misinformation?

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 14:34, Woland wrote:

On the face of it, after two years in office, with record high misery-index figures, unemployment at 9 or 10% despite removing from the rolls all of the poor saps who have given up even looking for work, gasoline more than double what it was 2 years ago, inflation at levels we haven't seen in this century, the worst job growth following a recession in decades, ear economic collapse in the EU, and catastrophic rises in food prices worldwide, a new, undeclared war that has endured past the 60-day War Powers Act limit with hardly a whisper of concern from Congress - on the face of it, the actual record is terrible.

Of course, most of the things you mention cannot legitimately be pinned as the fault of ANY President's policies.

So while you are at it, why not blame Obama for the devastating 2011 tornado season?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'll take an ipod. You can preload stuff on it if you want.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
In Imperial China, he would've been blamed for it. They called it "The Mandate of Heaven."
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Woland, any response? Your untruths are getting old.

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Response to what?
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
[quote]On 2011-05-25 14:55, kcg5 wrote:
Wellllll, Obama did NOT give the queen an ipod with his speeches, and Brown is blind in one eye-not blind as in he cannot see..... Any more misinformation?
[/quote

to this....

You say Brown is blind, and it was an insult to give him DVDS, while he is not. You said Obama gave the queen an ipod with his speeches on it, which he did not

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 15:04, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 14:34, Woland wrote:

Of course, most of the things you mention cannot legitimately be pinned as the fault of ANY President's policies.

So while you are at it, why not blame Obama for the devastating 2011 tornado season?

You are right about blaming Obama for the tornado season, because if it was Bush you would have blamed him. So it is only fair that the blame falls on Obama. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I would add that the canard of Obama sending the Winston Churchill bust back to England is getting old. It was moved to another room in the White House. And yet there are those who continue to parrot this now thoroughly discredited right-wing talking point.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
{snippage}

Woland

Continuing your discussion of Richard Nixon, I see Smile
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
If we may revenons a nos moutons, this list will no doubt be considered in......s forum:

Quote:
How many times has Obama flunked diplomatic protocol in the United Kingdom?

Let us count the ways…

1. Immediately after taking office, Obama shipped the White House bust of Winston Churchill back to England.

2. Then Obama gave British Prime Minister Gordon Brown a bunch of cheap DVDs as a gift.

3. A few weeks later, Michelle Obama broke centuries of international protocol by hugging the queen.

4. Then Obama gave Queen Elizabeth the gift of an iPod, filled with his own speeches.

And 5 makes a Royal Flush…

5. Obama just completely screwed up a toast to the Queen.

Woland

To further question your posting, the queen didn't seem to mind when Michelle put her hand on the queens back..(gasp!!!) And as to the toast.... "completely screwed up"? HUH? He paused in the middle of a sentence and the band thought he was done so they started playing... Your description of events is lacking. Would you describe a debate as "loud noises and words"?

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 17:50, kcg5 wrote:
Would you describe a debate as "loud noises and words"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOC-hDULX1c

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I'm terribly sorry, kcg5, but I just disagree with you. I think that for the President of the United States to present the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom a few movie DVDs, when the PM is legally blind, is cheap, stupid, and cruel.

And Master Mind Reader, I think you are mistaken about the Churchill bust:

Quote:
A bust of the former prime minister once voted the greatest Briton in history, which was loaned to George W Bush from the Government's art collection after the September 11 attacks, has now been formally handed back.

The bronze by Sir Jacob Epstein, worth hundreds of thousands of pounds if it were ever sold on the open market, enjoyed pride of place in the Oval Office during President Bush's tenure.

But when British officials offered to let Mr Obama to hang onto the bust for a further four years, the White House said: "Thanks, but no thanks."

Diplomats were at first reluctant to discuss the whereabouts of the Churchill bronze, after its ejection from the seat of American power. But the British Embassy in Washington has now confirmed that it sits in the palatial residence of ambassador Sir Nigel Sheinwald, just down the road from Vice President Joe Biden's official residence. It is not clear whether the ambassador plans to keep it in Washington or send it back to London.

. . . . unless you believe that the British Ambassador's residence is "another room in the White House." And the British did perceive that as a snub.

For most of the last 10 years, the left claimed the right to dissent. How many times did John Kerry tell us, misattributing the quote to Thomas Jefferson, that dissent is the highest form of patriotism? How many times were we shown posters of President Bush decapitated, or with his neck in a noose, or with a pistol to his head? A mockumentary was made showing his assassination, it was portrayed on the stage, and it was described in a novel -- all of which were hailed as the most wonderful expression of true American patriotism.

Now however, their tune has changed. No more criticism of the President or of his administration's inept and failing policies is apparently permitted.

Well, the Emperor has no clothes, kids. Even though the captive media devote themselves to dithyrambic paeans to his tailoring, the Emperor has no clothes.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Obama returned an item loaned to his predecessor? The b@stard!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
So, it turns out 'dithyrambic' really is an actual word.

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I got a million of 'em . . . .
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 18:19, Woland wrote:

Now however, their tune has changed. No more criticism of the President or of his administration's inept and failing policies is apparently permitted.

You obviously don't get out much. There is plenty of criticism of Obama from the left as well. His dropping the ball on single Payer Health care. His failing to close Guantanamo. His inexplicablly continuing of many of the Bush era policies. His expansion of aggression in the middle east. His uneven energy policies in regard to drilling for oil. The caving on the tax cuts for the rich. His apparent allegiance to the banks and Wall Street. All serious let downs for many of his supporters.
However for the opposition to continually harp on every single bit of minutia that comes along only makes you guys look like whiners and malcontents. To be for a policy for years and then suddenly be against it just because Obama now supports it is infantile.
There is plenty to criticise about Obama. As there is any President. Just criticise him on matters of substance and not these cheap petty shots. Unless of course you enjoy looking like you suffer from Obama Derangement Syndrome.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL