The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Lobo, that was exactly the clip I was thinking of...

Woland, he is blind in one eye-he can still see. The "article" you linked to called him blind-as in cannot see. It is a big difference. (plus they are stupid gifts, how many do you think the president gives and gets with each state visit? Or the PM?)

And the Ipod "filled with his speeches"? No, it had two, along with video, pictures and other things of the queen.

His "complete(ly) screwing up a speech"? The band cut into it....

As has been noted, the bust is not "back in England" like your post says.....
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh come on now. The President goes to Best Buy and picks out his own gifts. I have seen it happen.

My lord it is almost as if he has done nothing else we can disagree with, we have to discuss the stupid gifts? I want to pull my hair out! Did anyone listen to the borders he wants Israel to have? 8 Miles! Man I am afraid if this is the best opposition to the man anyone can come up with, we will definately have another 4 years of this crap.

I guess I will pile on then. (This is not serious but tongue in cheek!) Did anyone find it ironic but me that the President could trace his roots to Ireland many many generations ago, but can't figure out where his birth certificate is? (Al by the way that is the proper use of the word "irony".)

I hope that made balducci laugh! ALL this crap is just as dumb as the birth certificate nonsense.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Those crazy Israelis...they want a moat...then a bigger moat...with alligators in it!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
They need a moat monster.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 23:43, Dreadnought wrote:

They need a moat monster.

Golems.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I agree, but I like poking holes in his "stories"
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Woland-

Sorry. I was wrong about the bust being moved to another room in the White House. I remembered Glenn Beck had started a crazy consipiracy theory about the bust a few years ago and knew it had been debunked. The details about Beck's "theory" and the non-story about the return of the bust is laid out pretty completely here:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201006290073
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, Bob. Except, I wouldn't call that a "conspiracy theory," I would call it an attempt to divine the deeper significance of an apparently minor action, as is often done in a literary or (perish the thought) psychoanalytic context. All kidding aside, the British press has carried a great deal of commentary on whether the "special relationship" will survive the current American administration.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 17:50, kcg5 wrote:

To further question your posting, the queen didn't seem to mind when Michelle put her hand on the queens back..(gasp!!!) And as to the toast.... "completely screwed up"? HUH? He paused in the middle of a sentence and the band thought he was done so they started playing... Your description of events is lacking. Would you describe a debate as "loud noises and words"?

And here we have Obama pulling the chair out from under the Queen as she is about to sit down. It's true!

Or, at least, likely only a matter of time until it is spun that way. Smile Here is the photographic evidence.

Story here.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Balducci, you missed the smoking gun.

Michelle Obama is an Islamist!

The LIBERAL PRESS has been covering this up!

:rotf:
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-26 06:02, Woland wrote:

All kidding aside, the British press has carried a great deal of commentary on whether the "special relationship" will survive the current American administration.

Like this: Special Relationship "rocked"?

Seriously, I'm sure there is SOME commentary in the British press as Woland described if only because Rupert Murdoch is in charge of several newspapers over there.

But considering the absolutely fabulous positive reception Obama received everywhere he went in Britain, from the public and from the politicians, I wouldn't put much stock in a couple of negatively biased opinion pieces.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-26 11:35, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Balducci, you missed the smoking gun.

Michelle Obama is an Islamist!

The LIBERAL PRESS has been covering this up!

:rotf:

This is no surprise smoking gun; obviously, Barack would not have married outside the faith.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
What's an Islamist?

Muslim? Muslim Supporter?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 00:08, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
What's an Islamist?

Muslim? Muslim Supporter?

The term is usually used (here) to describe political Islam, such as what you see in Iran.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You mean like evangelical Islam? Just like it says to do in their good book?
Spreading the word of the Prophet - making sure those who practice apostasy and blaspheme are punished? Protecting the faithful from incursions from infidels who have a long history of imposing their unclean habits on others?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
If you read the writings of those that we might consider "Islamists," they don't use that term themselves. Nor do they call themselves "militant" or "radical." From our standpoint, the political ideology they espouse is extreme and we can separate it from their religion. They portray themselves as the main stream, and their religion and ideology are seamless. It's not as if they have a political ideology that is informed by their religion, rather their political ideology is a manifestation of their religion, and vice versa.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Let me turn back for a moment to the character of Presidents. Some of us will think that with the following exploit, we have reached a new high; others will think it marks an unimaginable low. I'll report, and you decide:

Quote:
As noted here on Boing Boing yesterday, the US has renewed three key provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act that were to have expired last night at midnight, granting four more years of overly broad surveillance of Americans. After the Senate and House rushed the extension with only a few lawmakers drawing attention to civil liberties concerns, the bill went before President Obama, to be signed into law.

What makes this news even more depressing? The president, who is on tour in Europe, didn't even sign it in person. According to a White House spokesperson, Obama used a device called an autopen, which mechanically reproduces a human signature.

This was an act so important that it must be signed into law at once to protect us from what Harry Reid suggested could be immediate terrorist acts, but not so important that the president might be inconvenienced during a foreign trip to return to Washington, D.C.

A Reuters item is here. Gawker has a timeline of Great Moments in Autopen History here, and links to this video (animated gif, Flash-ified?) of an autopen device in action. Over at the New York Times, Michael Shear notes that it's unclear whether president Bush ever used an autopen to sign a bill into law.

ABC News examines the constitutionality of using an autopen here, but that isn't enough to comfort conservative Georgia Republican congressman Tom Graves, who sent an email to reporters today:

Quote:
I thought it was a joke at first, but the President did, in fact, authorize an autopen to sign the Patriot Act extension into law. Consider the dangerous precedent this sets. Any number of circumstances could arise in the future where the public could question whether or not the president authorized the use of an autopen. For example, if the president is hospitalized and not fully alert, can a group of aggressive Cabinet members interpret a wink or a squeeze of the hand as approval of an autopen signing? I am very concerned about what this means for future presidential orders, whether they be signing bills into law, military orders, or executive orders.

I don't know that I agree with Graves' fears (a wink! a squeeze!). But something just seems wrong about automating the process of signing this particular bill into law, given its far-reaching implications for the privacy and liberty of all Americans, and all the secrecy this law entails.

Maybe I'm having a Bill Keller moment: maybe the technology doesn't matter, and the analog ceremony of a human hand and a pen and a piece of paper is just familiar theater. But in this case, could the president have been any more detached?

The links are in the original, at the boing boing site.

Woland
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/......law.html

In 2005, President George W. Bush was told by his Office of Legal Counsel in the Department of Justice that he could use an autopen given “the legal understanding of the word ‘sign’ at the time the Constitution was drafted and ratified and during the early years of the Republic. We find that, pursuant to this understanding, a person may sign a document by directing that his signature be affixed to it by another.”

This, the OLC found, was supported by opinions of the Attorney General and the Department of Justice “addressing statutory signing requirements in a variety of contexts. Reading the constitutional text in light of this established legal understanding, we conclude that the President need not personally perform the physical act of affixing his signature to a bill to sign it within the meaning of Article I, Section 7...

“We emphasize that we are not suggesting that the President may delegate the decision to approve and sign a bill, only that, having made this decision, he may direct a subordinate to affix the President’s signature to the bill.”
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Here's the part I agree with:

Quote:
Maybe I'm having a Bill Keller moment: maybe the technology doesn't matter, and the analog ceremony of a human hand and a pen and a piece of paper is just familiar theater.

Regardless of what you think of the Patriot Act, in the 21st century, I think it's impractical to the point of silliness (this is the kinder, gentler me; 'stupidity' first came to mind) to suggest that if the President were to sign the bill, he should have traveled from Europe to D.C. just to put pen to paper.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
In any case, perhaps instead of an "autopen" Obama should have used the remote controlled "longpen" invented by Canadian author Margaret Atwood for real time remote signings:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/mar......s3.books

http://www.longpen.com/index.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL