The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Perhaps some of the cold-readers might comment on the body language here:

and here:

irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 08:39, Woland wrote:
When you consider the things that President Bush did for and with military personnel and their families, the things that he continues to do, behind the scenes, often with with no press allowed, you realize that the press coverage of something like the visit to the USS Abraham Lincoln was a sideshow.

A sideshow that had nothing to do with the Bush administration?

I find it insulting that Bush had no time to serve honorably himself but had time for a photo-op.

I guess all those stories about our military having to supply some of their own protective equipment was just a media lie. And charging the hospitalized soldiers for their meals while laid up was just another media lie.
I stand corrected, Bush is the Man. Brave and Heroic. What a Guy, what a role model.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
President Bush did serve honorably as a fighter pilot, in a unit that was in theater in Viet Nam at the time he joined. No one claims he was a war hero, but he did serve.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 08:45, Woland wrote:
Perhaps some of the cold-readers might comment on the technique here:

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
It's not cherry picking when the details are merely convenient illustrations of observations that can be repeated time and time again. Personnel is policy.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Here is just one bag of cherries to munch on.
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/opinion/lechliter.pdf

I don't expect anyone to believe this. After all it's the Media that put this out (New York Times) a very unreliable source.
I have many more crates of cherries if you don't like this batch.
Iven Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-05-21 10:42, Woland wrote:
It's not cherry picking when the details are merely convenient illustrations of observations that can be repeated time and time again. Personnel is policy.

What disappoints me is that you likely believe this.

John
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-01-19 14:43, Woland wrote:

You forgot to mention that Robert Byrd [was] an unrepentant racist, segregationist, KKK leader

Quote:

Based on what you said back in January about Byrd and assuming that it is Byrd in the photo, as it is labelled, I'll take a shot.

Here in the photo, Bush is being deferential and obsequious to Robert Byrd, an unrepentant racist, segregationist, and KKK leader?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 11:08, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 10:42, Woland wrote:

What disappoints me is that you likely believe this.

John

What scares me is too many people don't believe this.

Iven Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

And here, I believe we have Sgt. James Crowley assisting Professor Henry Louis Gates. Recall, Crowley was in the news for allegedly racially profiling and arresting Gates.

Probably very appropriate that Crowley was the one assisting Gates in this case, rather than Obama. Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me if that photo were not 'staged' just to show how Crowley and Gates were getting along. Recall, both Crowley and Gates eventually worked together to defuse the situation.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Was this photo taken before or after the beer party?
Iven Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Now that we know what the photos are in context, I'd love to hear Woland's take on them.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 08:48, irossall wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 08:39, Woland wrote:
When you consider the things that President Bush did for and with military personnel and their families, the things that he continues to do, behind the scenes, often with with no press allowed, you realize that the press coverage of something like the visit to the USS Abraham Lincoln was a sideshow.

A sideshow that had nothing to do with the Bush administration?

I find it insulting that Bush had no time to serve honorably himself but had time for a photo-op.

Bush served "honorably," he just got strings pulled so he didn't have to go into combat!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The contexts that have been supplied are not quite right, and the contexts are not necessary in order to read the body language.

First of all, what's significant about President Bush helping Senator Byrd, is that the picture was taken at a ceremony honoring Byrd, if I remember correctly, after Byrd had delivered a series of veritable Philipics denouncing Bush in the most vitriolic language imaginable. Yet President Bush still respected him and assisted him as one would assist any venerable statesman. (The fact that the ranking member of the Democratic Party in the Senate was an unrepentant segregationist and unapologetic former leader of the Ku Klux Klan is irrelevant. Nobody in the Democratic Party ever worried about that.)

Second, the picture of President Obama shows him striding off, alone, leaving his two guests together. He is oblivious to them. He lives in a different world.

A world where, as I've mentioned before, the evening that he claimed the Democratic Party nomination for President was to be heralded as a epochal hinge in the world's history:

Quote:
I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on earth.

That attitude is apparent in the photograph.

Woland
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

The point is this: Woland despises his President and will take any opportunity to show why he is inferior to his predecessor. All evidence in support, Woland takes to be significant. All evidence in contrary, Woland takes to be irrelevant or misleading.

Here's one.

Oh look, here's my Prime Minister:

And the Pope:

This is fun!

John
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I don't care that Bush gives the finger, just shows he has no more class than me or most American's.
I do have an issue with the disrespectful way he is holding OUR Flag (under his arm pits?).
The Flag should be higher than your head when carrying it open the way he is in the photo. Also the Flag is supposed to be held by the staff.
To give the bird with one hand, while the Flag is carried by the other is disrepectful (at least in my mind it is)
But then again. Too many American's don't stand and remove their hats when our Flag passes by in a parade. I mentioned this to some Friends of mine at a local parade where a good 50% of the crowd remained seated as the Flag marched by. I was chastized by my Friends, who thought that I was nuts to be concerned about such a petty thing. Go Figure.
Iven "patty:
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Pretty devastating essay, Irossall. Though not new, it's nice to have it all in one place.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, Magnus, for posting those lovely pictures. I like the Pope's hat. Very practical in the sunshine. His red shoes are great with it, too.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 11:16, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-19 14:43, Woland wrote:

You forgot to mention that Robert Byrd [was] an unrepentant racist, segregationist, KKK leader

Quote:

Based on what you said back in January about Byrd and assuming that it is Byrd in the photo, as it is labelled, I'll take a shot.

Here in the photo, Bush is being deferential and obsequious to Robert Byrd, an unrepentant racist, segregationist, and KKK leader?

You are not going to believe this but I WAS GOING TO SAY THAT!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As for photo 2 my first thought was it was staged. (Grrrrrrr just like balducci!) Having the officer who had the problem with the professor assisting him, yea seemed staged and disapointed me in the officer. I think it said far more about the officer than our President. In fact the only thing is that perhaps you could argue that the President has an arrogant look to him. Well he is the President, so why shouldn't he?

Again, and this is just me but I think time is better spent on his policy issues. OF WHICH THERE ARE A GREAT MANY. The rest of the stuff is cool for The View or what not. I think the way he reacted by calling the police stupid could be discussed as opposed to a photo opportunity.

In short I don't think the first photo makes Bush look good, or the second makes President Obama look bad. I am not a supporter of either really.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL